South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Members Car Profiles (Non-Subaru) (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Can't beat them join them. My M3 (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=14503)

Guy B 15-03-2010 12:46 PM

Got to say I am loveing this thread as I'm seriously thinking about chopping in the scoob for an E46 M3 (won't be untill the end of the year though) I have never driven one but I think they look and sound awesome!

worzel 15-03-2010 01:28 PM

Seriously you will love it.

If I had to choose a word to describe each of the cars, I think they would be:

Scooby: Savage
M3: Refined

Both give you the kicks you want but in completely different ways. You don't get the turbo kick up the arse that you do with the Scooby, but what you do get is a smooth and seemless accelleration with what seems like an endless rev range.

As I hinted at in my previous post though, I think it's difficult to compare the cars fairly as they are in essence two completely different beasts.

Rob has all of the following 4 cars (is there much Rob hasn't had though :whistle:) and I would like to see robs comparisons in what I would call their niches.

Scooby V Evo

M3 V RS4

IMHO these are the comparisons that count.

Over to you again Rob.

Nige 15-03-2010 02:20 PM

I'm going to jump in here quick and add my little bit. Ive had M3's in the past & loved them. The Scoob for me was fantastic loved it & i still say for the money you pay you just cant beat that drive. I miss the burble i miss the fight i had with it getting it around the twisty bits. Ive never had a car that made me smile & laugh so much. As Rob mentioned i could tinker with it mess about with this & that. Then end up taking it to Scott or Jaffa to to sort out the thing's i had cocked up in the first place. I still defend them when there getting a slating on the MLR. I just hope when my Evo is done i can have the same amount of fun. If not then when i get back from Germany the Evo will be sold & i will be the proud owner of a Hawkeyed spec c. :drive:

worzel 15-03-2010 02:36 PM

It's bizarre Nige isn't it.

You will know as I know, the Evo straight from the box, something around 300bhp will absolutely wet all over the scooby, just for the simple fact the wizardry involved with the active yaw control etc is so bloody good.

It's all just a little sterile for me though. Even though I'm nowhere near a technically minded as you and lots of the guys are on here. I know the same way you do that you can tinker around with the scoobs and make them something special quite easily. You can't buy soul for a car though.

Your Evo will go round the ring so well this year, I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed at all. I bet Ray will like the look of what you have done to it.

Scoobies hey, they blow up, they understeer like the front wheels are made of Ice until you get whiteline on them, they drink V Power at £1.21 per litre at the rate an Irish man drinking Guiness on Paddy's night, and they are worth next to bugger all when you come to sell them. But **** me we love? How insane is that :five:

Guy B 15-03-2010 02:42 PM

I absolutley love my scoob, it is such fun to drive and get loads of attention (mainly dure to having a back box with no baffels!!) I love the sound of the flat four and the dumpvalve which is so loud I have see mothers cluch their children as I change gear going past them. Only thing is I have had it for 2 years now and fancy a bit of a change, part of me thinks i'm mental for even concidering it as I have a 2004 new age with 49K miles on the clock and FSH and I'm looking at paying another 4 or 5K to get an M3 of the same age with more miles on it. i think I will have to have a long hard think about this one!

Hongkongfooi 15-03-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 41239)
It's bizarre Nige isn't it.

You will know as I know, the Evo straight from the box, something around 300bhp will absolutely wet all over the scooby, just for the simple fact the wizardry involved with the active yaw control etc is so bloody good.

It's all just a little sterile for me though. Even though I'm nowhere near a technically minded as you and lots of the guys are on here. I know the same way you do that you can tinker around with the scoobs and make them something special quite easily. You can't buy soul for a car though.

Your Evo will go round the ring so well this year, I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed at all. I bet Ray will like the look of what you have done to it.

Scoobies hey, they blow up, they understeer like the front wheels are made of Ice until you get whiteline on them, they drink V Power at £1.21 per litre at the rate an Irish man drinking Guiness on Paddy's night, and they are worth next to bugger all when you come to sell them. But **** me we love? How insane is that :five:

well put steve!:doubleup:

simonairheadz 15-03-2010 02:43 PM

what a fun interesting unbiased thread this is,exactly the type of stuff i love to read.

RobEvo5 15-03-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 41234)

Rob has all of the following 4 cars (is there much Rob hasn't had though :whistle:) and I would like to see robs comparisons in what I would call their niches.

Scooby V Evo

M3 V RS4

IMHO these are the comparisons that count.

Over to you again Rob.

Have to say the perfect scenario is to have both for the reasons you describe. There are times when I find turbo power tiresome, and its soooo refreshing to have instant power on tap. I have started to get into the habit of turning on sport mode instantly every time I get in the car, and have to say it does make a nice difference to the feel of the car, with much more feel to the throttle.

The raspy sound of the M3 is a marmite sound. But I actually love it, and it’s a very addictive sound coupled with the straight 6 engine roar. So no complaints in the sound department from me.

Performance can't be knocked either, and I'm sure if I put it along side some quick scoobs both off the line, rolling and autobahn blasts it would not disappoint. The linear power delivery is slightly deceptive but no mistaking its quick and that's without looking at the speedo.

They are chalk and cheese cars and as said its difficult to compare. Performance aside, they both offer very different experiences depending on what mood you’re in.
If you want some comfort, build, reliability, and still have performance without being tarnished as a chav by some, but arrogant yuppy nob head by others then the M3 ticks the box.

But if you want raw, nimble power, do most of your driving off motorways, like to tinker with cars and modify, and couldn’t give a flying feck as to what others think of you then the scoob ticks the box.

Hence 2 very different cars offering 2 very different experiences that goes further than just comparing performance and handling.

Scoob V's Evo........

Scoob every time for me, but if I was into track days or drove like I’ve stolen the car most of the time then it would have to be the Evo. The electronics on the EVO is something that has to be experienced to be appreciated. But driven to the point that it’s all starts to work on UK roads means you will be pooping your pants long before you can experience it. The EVO really has to be driven to the point the car is starting to let go, and then at this point you have to make sure your don't back off, just keep with it and then it’s truly amazing. The sacrifice to this thou is that it’s a harsh car to live with day to day when you are just merely blipping about.

Despite this they are very similar cars and I still look at both of them as JAP turbo nutter rice tin cars, however no matter what generation the EVO they always demand a much bigger price tag for what I consider to be a similar car just a different badge, and for this reason alone I will always opt for a scoob. The Scoob is the more affordable car that tends to attract a wide audience because of it, which could be seen as a negative or a positive. For me it’s a positive, as all walks of life and age own scoobs. From my experience, for the EVO boys it seems to be more about how much money they can/have spent on their car. The community is much bigger and friendly in the world of scoobs IMO. Parts, spares and interchangeable parts at a more affordable price are more available on the scoob as well IMO.

I also think the later EVO’s all look more of less the same whether it be a EVO7,8or 9. But at least Subaru made some effort to change the style of scoobs throughout the generations, and the Hawkeye for me is a far more modern car than say and EVO8 or 9. 2006 Hawkeye STI circa 12K, 2006 EVO9 depending on derivative circa 18K
I’d always have both and enjoy both, but apart from AYC the scoob wins on every other level.

E46 M3 V’s RS4.

The M3 can be described as a sports tourer, but the RS4 really is a sports tourer and far more so than the M3. For Lazy and very quick driving, especially on motorways the RS4 is phenomenal the torque the 2.7 twin turbo gives is immense, but the RS4 feels even heavier than the M3, and have more give in the suspension, and the rev range is fairly small, and driven in anger you wished you have more revs to play with. The M3 is definitely a more focussed and involving car than the RS4. And I much prefer the M3 out of the 2. Interior and cabin space on the M3 is a nicer and a more modern place to be as well IMO.

worzel 15-03-2010 03:09 PM

As mentioned previously, this is a cracking thread and it has been enjoyable being part of it :doubleup:

And, thats a cracking and very informed reply Rob. I don't think it could be put any better at all. :10:

worzel 15-03-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy B (Post 41240)
I absolutley love my scoob, it is such fun to drive and get loads of attention (mainly dure to having a back box with no baffels!!) I love the sound of the flat four and the dumpvalve which is so loud I have see mothers cluch their children as I change gear going past them. Only thing is I have had it for 2 years now and fancy a bit of a change, part of me thinks i'm mental for even concidering it as I have a 2004 new age with 49K miles on the clock and FSH and I'm looking at paying another 4 or 5K to get an M3 of the same age with more miles on it. i think I will have to have a long hard think about this one!

Guy, there are as you will see in this thread, many pro's and cons for either car. And it's about what floats your boat. Robs last long reply really sums it all up beautifully really.

The sound a scoob makes is awsome, thats the icing you get on the cake with a scooby. But like Rob, I actually think the M3 rasp is a beautiful noise too. Once you flick the sport button and take the DSC of and into most severe gear change it really is a wonderful thing. And the blip thats inserted in there in the down change is a proper sexy thing.

The truth of the matter is, you won't be un-happy which ever way you go. You will miss the savagery of the scooby if you got an M3, but as Rob says you know it's the M3 is fast but somehow it doesn't feel it. I'll give you an example, I was cruising back from Crawley this morning, in 6th at about 2800rpm, glanced at the clock and was just under 80mph :nod: I thought I was cruising at about 60. The M3 is also a very nice palce to be, lovely cockpit and genuinely classy inside.

But for good old fashioned fun, enjoying the twisties, making some wonderful noises the scoob does win it hands down.

It's a classic 6 of one and half a dozen of another.

simonairheadz 15-03-2010 03:56 PM

the m3 sounds like a..................................."if i had a unlimited dream garage,there would be one in there"
each car rewards you in a different way i guess!

Nige 15-03-2010 04:54 PM

RobEvo5
I also think the later EVO’s all look more of less the same whether it be a EVO7,8or 9. But at least Subaru made some effort to change the style of scoobs throughout the generations, and the Hawkeye for me is a far more modern car than say and EVO8 or 9. 2006 Hawkeye STI circa 12K, 2006 EVO9 depending on derivative circa 18K
I’d always have both and enjoy both, but apart from AYC the scoob wins on every other level.
Oi Bug, Blob & Hawkeye all the same apart from lights Visually. Same with the Evo's there again you could look at that as a positive thing why change them if there selling well. One big bonus for me is when i go out in my Evo i dont see another one, and i love to see the Scoob drivers scowling at me . I do love winding them up by giving them a little wave or something similar. Your right Rob the ride in an Evo is not as good as a Scoob Especially mine. When i get it back it will be even worse & ive paid to do that. It woud not be possible if it was my every day car though. I bought the Evo having only been in it for less than 9mins thats how much of an impression it made on me. Driving it back from Doncaster some months later i thought i had made a big mistake Evo's & motorways dont mix. If anyone thinks there Scooby is bad on juice dont buy an Evo. Once i got on the A21 i could then smile again it really handles. There is a difference between them Scoobs for everything Evo's for track use & even then only certain Evo's. Just to through a spanner in to the works i would be very tempted by an M3 supercharged 480bhp with Ex tc suspension & Ap 6 Potts :drive:

worzel 15-03-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 41264)
Just to through a spanner in to the works i would be very tempted by an M3 supercharged 480bhp with Ex tc suspension & Ap 6 Potts :drive:

Now that sounds very nice indeeeeeeed! :doubleup:

SUBARMAN 15-03-2010 05:02 PM

Yes this is an excellent read with great opinions very well put together and balanced!!!

Well done all those contributing - a joy to read!

:SMBLU:

RobEvo5 15-03-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Oi Bug, Blob & Hawkeye all the same apart from lights Visually. Same with the Evo's there again you could look at that as a positive thing why change them if there selling well.

Fair point, but still think the differences are more prominant than just lights. I personally think Mitsi took a back stepwards when they went from the styling of the Evo7 to the EVO8. At least Subaru made there cars look better over the years :D;)

Quote:

Just to through a spanner in to the works i would be very tempted by an M3 supercharged 480bhp with Ex tc suspension & Ap 6 Potts

Now that would be nice, and pound for performance probably not too budget busting either as a project.:D Must resist and dismiss... that was one of the reasons for me to get an M3 and force me to avoid the temptation to modify.

RobEvo5 15-03-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 41245)
I'll give you an example, I was cruising back from Crawley this morning, in 6th at about 2800rpm, glanced at the clock and was just under 80mph :nod: I thought I was cruising at about 60.

Know what your mean, Further more at 80mph, you could drop to 3rd or 4th and the M3 would pick up like a rat up a drain pipe, and allegadly ;) keep going and going to the limiter 60mph in 2nd is fun to :D

The M3 is definately at its best once moving. I have no doubt at all they must perform very well at the Ring.

Nige 15-03-2010 05:30 PM

[QUOTE=RobEvo5;41275]Fair point, but still think the differences are more prominant than just lights. I personally think Mitsi took a back stepwards when they went from the styling of the Evo7 to the EVO8. At least Subaru made there cars look better over the years :D;)

Ha! Ha! Ok looks wise shall i just mention That hatch thing that Subaru have aborted on to the world. Now come on the latest Evo looks stunning in comparison. I must of won that battle hands down. Come on :kickbutt::drive:

Crowman 15-03-2010 05:36 PM

Wow this thread has moved on.
I have to add my opinions as have now driven the M3 for a few months.
I am comparing a 45k BMW to my somewhat tired scoob.
The M3 I love, it’s the most exciting car I have driven and the reason why is its rear wheel drive, with all the tricks switched off, and in full sports aggressive setting it has to be treated with respect, its keeps you on your toes big time.
Around the twisties it does feel heavy, and as Steve said almost a little boaty, this will be sorted by Eibachs and Geometry this month.
My scoob, dare I say it, is much easier to drive fast, probably as I am inexperienced in RWD.
The scoob without a doubt came into its own around the twistys in Germany, and I will miss that, but my scoob was not suited to the ring at all, mainly due to tired shocks and inefficient brakes, hence why I am looking forward to taking the M3 out there.
I am saving my pennies for the supercharger kit, 5k fitted gives you 485bhp and instant delivery, no lag and somewhere around 185mph.
M3=Out the box fantastic, will be tuned and used for the odd track day
My Classic=Tired and being retired to shows and events

What I will say is if I had a newer scoob like Steves or the one Nigel had I would be taking it to Germany as they are both much sorted cars.

Lastly I actually think the M3 has a sole, trouble is it’s called Hanz, has an odd moustache and smells of boiled onions

RobEvo5 15-03-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 41277)

Ha! Ha! Ok looks wise shall i just mention That hatch thing that Subaru have aborted on to the world. Now come on the latest Evo looks stunning in comparison. I must of won that battle hands down. Come on :kickbutt::drive:

You definately win that argument, the hatch should have been left to the cupra, focus ST boys, the new Mitsi X is a proper grown up car. But shame they didn't fit a proper gearbox to it :D

Lucky 15-03-2010 08:08 PM

What a great thread. Cant help but agree with alot of points.

I quite regularly drive 'better' cars than mine. Some german, some with a fair bit more bhp and if you had to choose between these and my subaru to get to the south of france, they would be more tempting, but......... what is it with these scoobs?. Mine, to this day, after 4 years (and a few tweaks), still surprises me regularly with how utterly b****y brilliant it is when pushed. Nothing else makes a noise like it, and it humbles cars that cost 4 times more - and i think that is it - It simply shouldn't be that quick for that little money. I remember test driving a new golf GTi and a new R32 at the begining of 2006 when I had my old 2004 wrx. It was a totally standard car, and the R32 had a fair bit more power, but the golf just didnt have that manic, mad feeling about it, hence getting the STi.

You guys are right. The ideal situation is to own both. A subaru and a fast geman car............. preferably an R8!!.

Nige 15-03-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobEvo5 (Post 41298)
You definately win that argument, the hatch should have been left to the cupra, focus ST boys, the new Mitsi X is a proper grown up car. But shame they didn't fit a proper gearbox to it :D

Yes you can have manual or flappy :more:
My Evo now has a sole. In motor sport there's not much better than a Cossie Sole. :drive:

worzel 16-03-2010 08:14 AM

With regards the looks of the Scooby V Evo, I agree that up to the STi10, Subaru did make a prettier car but by god they went wrong with the 10 where as the Evo 10 is without doubt in it FQ range a very nice car to look at. So hands up on that one.

The only thing I feel is wrong with Niges comment about Cosworth giving his Evo soul is the fact he would need to tell people about the Cosworth part of it or have a badge to shout it out loud. IMHO the Cosworth bits do not give it soul. It makes it a very very good car though and thats the thing about Evo's for me, as Niges will no doubt prove in the coming months when we are struggling like buggery to keep up with him.

They are absolutely fantastic pieces of machinery, but no matter what you do to them, they will always be that, fantastic machines.

The M3 Supercharger and Coilovers set up at about 7k I believe(Martyn will confirm) will give you a stonking bit of kit. I have to admit, If I hadn't spent as much as I did on the scooby in the last couple of years, I would seriously consider this. But on the flip side to this comment is the fact I actually enjoy driving the M3 almost normally. I do always hit the sport button etc, but that doesn't mean I fly around everywhere. It's a lovely car to drive slowly too, if that makes sense. Would I be comromising the comfort it has now?

The point that Steve makes is so true of both Scoobs and Evo's (but mostly Scoobs). There is nothing out there that gives you this much grunt and practicality for this kind of money. They are truelly superb for that.

SUBARMAN 16-03-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowman (Post 41278)
Wow this thread has moved on.

Lastly I actually think the M3 has a sole, trouble is it’s called Hanz, has an odd moustache and smells of boiled onions

I couldn't think what it was.......but you are right! It's boiled onions! Add that to the moustache and you have the perfect outfit for the Ring Trip! But remember...no pants unless they are leather!

Guy B 16-03-2010 10:58 AM

Funny you mention Cosworth, did you know they have now teamed up with Subaru and will be launching an Impreza Cosworth? (apologies if that's old news) :)

worzel 16-03-2010 11:25 AM

Indeed they are matey, they teased with a picture and said there would news at the Geneva Motor Show. But nothing came.

It'll be very interesting though.

Crowman 16-03-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUBARMAN (Post 41356)
I couldn't think what it was.......but you are right! It's boiled onions! Add that to the moustache and you have the perfect outfit for the Ring Trip! But remember...no pants unless they are leather!

Priceless Keith
I have a very nice pair of chamois pants for the ring trip:shock:

Nige 16-03-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowman (Post 41376)
Priceless Keith
I have a very nice pair of chamois pants for the ring trip:shock:

You need to take a spare tank or something for your excess gas! In fact bottle it & you wont need a bloody supercharger. :thanx:

bigemp 16-03-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeBoy (Post 40166)
Can't see it in the for sale section yet!!!

it is on scoobynet :doh:

RobEvo5 16-03-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigemp (Post 41378)

Double post.

RobEvo5 16-03-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigemp (Post 41378)

You got me..... :)

bigemp 16-03-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobEvo5 (Post 41383)
You got me..... :)

well come on you have had it a while rob

Crowman 16-03-2010 06:56 PM

Wow a new record Rob, Cracking price mate.

RobEvo5 16-03-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowman (Post 41395)
Wow a new record Rob, Cracking price mate.

Cheers - Still deciding which way to go. So might withdraw yet.! If I had close to 20K tied up in it, it would be a different story, but I keep reminding myself its a hell of a lot of car for the money, virtually depreciation proof, and a cracking good car at that, so why sell.!!!.

Nige 16-03-2010 08:25 PM

Sell & with the profit come to the ring with the Scoob? :wink:

worzel 17-03-2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 41407)
Sell & with the profit come to the ring with the Scoob? :wink:

:agreed: Something like a nice Spec C or T25

Crowman 17-03-2010 08:28 AM

Just dont buy it until the day before the ring trip otherwise it will be sold by the time the ferry leaves:mrgreen:

worzel 17-03-2010 08:36 AM

Thats chancing his arm, maybe best to arrange a buy on the ferry itself :whistle:

SUBARMAN 17-03-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 41445)
Thats chancing his arm, maybe best to arrange a buy on the ferry itself :whistle:

How many cars do you think Rob could buy.....and then sell.......while still on the ferry.

How many cars does the ferry hold? Maybe he could buy and sell them all?

Has he ever sold anything back to himself by mistake?

worzel 17-03-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUBARMAN (Post 41453)
How many cars do you think Rob could buy.....and then sell.......while still on the ferry.

Has he ever sold anything back to himself by mistake?

Priceless :five:

Steve_PPP 17-03-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUBARMAN (Post 41453)

If the ferry has a full tank of fuel, i'd expect an offer on that too ;)