South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   The Ring Zone (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   RING TRIP 2013 - Travel check list & Questions here PLEASE! (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=14693)

Lucky 12-04-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spocks Beard (Post 158955)

You'll have to tie BigE to someone else's car though, to slow him down enough :angst: :wink:

:lol::lol:

Lucky 12-04-2013 10:45 AM

The trouble is if BIG E is in front he may have taken out all of the speed signs as we know he likes a little off roading :whistle:

Spocks Beard 12-04-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 158961)
The trouble is if BIG E is in front he may have taken out all of the speed signs as we know he likes a little off roading :whistle:

LOL :-D

Steve_PPP 12-04-2013 12:51 PM

lol @ Lucky :rofl:

Apparently TomTom have released a free update which turns the speed camera locations into an 'accident blackspot' warning ;) Oh, and Simon - you'll keep up no problems mate, we just cruise easily through France/Belgium and only have a bit of a play when we get to the autobahns.

BIG"E" 12-04-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spocks Beard (Post 158955)
You'll have to tie BigE to someone else's car though, to slow him down enough :angst: :wink:

Who said that ?:mrgreen:

Scooby_Greg 12-04-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 158977)
have a bit of a play when we get to the autobahns.

Hopefully we'll get a chance this year after the German traffic jam last year

BIG"E" 12-04-2013 09:39 PM

The count down is on....

6 WEEKS TO GO !!!!!!

:drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive: :drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive: :drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive: :drive: :drive::drive::drive::drive::drive::drive: :drive::drive:

Spocks Beard 16-04-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 158983)
Who said that ?:mrgreen:

Wasn't me :wink:

555_Si 13-05-2013 01:06 PM

Is anyone taking walkie talkies? I was thinking of sorting a pmr446 out, buit not going to bother unless anyone else is taking one.

BIG"E" 13-05-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wagon_Si (Post 161401)
Is anyone taking walkie talkies? I was thinking of sorting a pmr446 out, buit not going to bother unless anyone else is taking one.

I will be taking mine ....

They are ok when close together.....

Anyone else, we will also exchange mob numbers...:yeah:

Steve_PPP 13-05-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 152558)
The Check List FOR THE CAR

1: Spare Bulb Kit
2: Warning Triangle
3: Hi Visibility Vests (1 for each person in car)
4: Headlight Beam Deflectors
5: Fire Extinguisher
6: First Aid Kit

7: Octane Booster (personal choice)
8: Oil (optional but advised)
9: GB Sticker (if you dont have GB on your number plate)
10:Spare Key
11: Sat Nav (with European Data)
12: Crash Helmet (not compulsory)
13: European Insurance & Breakdown Cover (make sure it covers repatriation, just in case)
14: Track insurance (those insured with Keith Micheals, call Moley)
15: Driving License (including Paper Part)
16: Locking wheel nut tool
17: Tyre pressure gauge
18: Breathalyser kit

PERSONAL ITEMS

1: Ferry Tickets (confirmation e-mail) & Passports
2: E 111
3: Euro's and debit / credit cards (inform bank that you are away for safety)
4: Mobile Phone & Charger
5: Headache Tablets (trust me)
6: European Plug Adaptor
7: Walkie talkies ?
8: Big bag of cash. Euros.

Those with TOM TOM's down load the shell garages onto your european maps. If you know of anything that need adding to this list, please feel free to add it.

Not long now getting excited !!.

Just been through this list and thought its about time to get some bits! If anyone else has left it as late as me, there's some bargains on ebay ;)

Headlamp deflectors - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370795576017
3 x Breathalysers - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271191071862

Think i've got the rest of the list from previous trips. Just need to sort some euros now! :drive:

555_Si 13-05-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 161405)
I will be taking mine ....

They are ok when close together.....

Anyone else, we will also exchange mob numbers...:yeah:

ok, the ones I had before I could turn up to 4w for a bit more zip, you'll hear me, I just won't hear you.

hopefully i'll be able to keep up as my mobile no good, I am on EE and it is a miracle if they don't screw my account up if I call them, so not sure if my phone works abroad anymore, when I went to Dublin a few weeks back they made a right old mess of things. don't have the bottle to ring customer dis-services anymore.

Frenchie 14-05-2013 06:40 PM

JUst been reading through this thread re the camera alerts on Sat Navs.I have a Garmin Sat Nav with full camera alerts loaded.I've been stopped,general roadside checks,at least 3 times in the last year and never had any questions regards the Sat Nav.Can't see how the French police could prove you had speed camera alerts unless they sat in the car with you as you approached a camera,especially as of all the French police I have come across,quite a lot,none have spoken or been able to read English.

Steve_PPP 14-05-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 161537)
JUst been reading through this thread re the camera alerts on Sat Navs.I have a Garmin Sat Nav with full camera alerts loaded.I've been stopped,general roadside checks,at least 3 times in the last year and never had any questions regards the Sat Nav.Can't see how the French police could prove you had speed camera alerts unless they sat in the car with you as you approached a camera,especially as of all the French police I have come across,quite a lot,none have spoken or been able to read English.

Thanks Terry, good to know.

Hongkongfooi 14-05-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 161406)
Just been through this list and thought its about time to get some bits! If anyone else has left it as late as me, there's some bargains on ebay ;)

Headlamp deflectors - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370795576017
3 x Breathalysers - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271191071862

Think i've got the rest of the list from previous trips. Just need to sort some euros now! :drive:

Ordered just in case:five:

Steve_PPP 14-05-2013 10:27 PM

Haven't justified spending £££ on a GoPro so i've also just bought a dash mount for my Galaxy S3 (another ebay purchase, for the grand total of £4.50 delivered lol).

The S3 records at 1920x1080, and whilst its not going to be quite as good as a GoPro it'll be more than good enough for youtube i hope :)

555_Si 14-05-2013 10:33 PM

thinking of doing the same with my iphone5. keep looking for a cheap ebay camera but think quality will be just as good on phone.

Ginola 15-05-2013 12:09 AM

Dash mounting your phone gives decent results, just make sure its braced firmly against the dash,
My 4S has made some decent enough video's (look in the vid section at my over the mountain vid) 11mins of 1080p on the IOM, will do the same at the ring hopefully.

Steve_PPP 21-05-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 152558)
Those who have been before will probably have most of this stuff already. For those who have not been before, the below list is invaluable. Most of the items in the "For The Car" section are actually law in Europe, so I would advise that you make sure that you do / have these things arranged.

I'm sure that most of you who have been before will have this stuff, but it's well worth double checking, just in case. Anything that you haven't got can be purchased at places like Halfords, or worst case scenario on the ferry, but they do charge a bit more there. The items in BLUE are the ones that are Law in Europe! Please remember that the breathalysers are a new requirement for this year!.

The Check List FOR THE CAR

1: Spare Bulb Kit
2: Warning Triangle
3: Hi Visibility Vests (1 for each person in car)
4: Headlight Beam Deflectors
5: Fire Extinguisher
6: First Aid Kit

7: Octane Booster (personal choice)
8: Oil (optional but advised)
9: GB Sticker (if you dont have GB on your number plate)
10:Spare Key
11: Sat Nav (with European Data)
12: Crash Helmet (not compulsory)
13: European Insurance & Breakdown Cover (make sure it covers repatriation, just in case)
14: Track insurance (those insured with Keith Micheals, call Moley)
15: Driving License (including Paper Part)
16: Locking wheel nut tool
17: Tyre pressure gauge
18: Breathalyser kit

PERSONAL ITEMS

1: Ferry Tickets (confirmation e-mail) & Passports
2: E 111
3: Euro's and debit / credit cards (inform bank that you are away for safety)
4: Mobile Phone & Charger
5: Headache Tablets (trust me)
6: European Plug Adaptor
7: Walkie talkies ?
8: Big bag of cash. Euros.

Those with TOM TOM's down load the shell garages onto your european maps. If you know of anything that need adding to this list, please feel free to add it.

Not long now getting excited !!.

Time for a final bump of this post :drive:

Remember you should carry paperwork for the car in case you get pulled over - paper parts of driving licenses, V5 certificate, MOT, insurance and breakdown certificates. Also remember that hi-vis jackets need to be inside the car (not in the boot) so you can get to them before getting out of the car on the hard shoulder.

I've got 3 walkie talkies here, so will have 2 spare for people to borrow if they want to.

Counting the hours now :D

Claire_PPP 21-05-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 162423)
I've got 3 walkie talkies here, so will have 2 spare for people to borrow if they want to.

They've got batteries in, but they've been in there for a while, so it might be worth having 4xAAA spare batteries in the glove box if you do borrow one.

Ginola 21-05-2013 10:06 PM

Could do with borrowing one if you don't mind :)

Thanks for the heads up will move our Hi vis into the car from the boot tomorrow!

Ginola 21-05-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 162438)
Could do with borrowing one if you don't mind :)

Thanks for the heads up will move our Hi vis into the car from the boot tomorrow!

1: Ferry Tickets (confirmation e-mail) & Passports - We have our passports, confirmation e-mail/train details Ian has?

BIG"E" 21-05-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 162440)
1: Ferry Tickets (confirmation e-mail) & Passports - We have our passports, confirmation e-mail/train details Ian has?

I have all the train details.

I will give you the booking references at the services.

Unless you want them before?

Ginola 21-05-2013 10:31 PM

no thats cool :) i was just reading down the list that Steve copied :)

I did have 1 silly question :sos: I have not fitted these stick on plastic beam deflectors before? where about's on the lights do I stick them? no markings or guides to where to place :o

Last time I drove abroad they used black tape in pre marked area's on the lights (I'm older than I look) :D

BIG"E" 21-05-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 162445)
no thats cool :) i was just reading down the list that Steve copied :)

I did have 1 silly question :sos: I have not fitted these stick on plastic beam deflectors before? where about's on the lights do I stick them? no markings or guides to where to place :o

Last time I drove abroad they used black tape in pre marked area's on the lights (I'm older than I look) :D

In the packaging there is normally a diagram ..
We can sort it at the terminal if you wish.

Ginola 21-05-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 162446)
In the packaging there is normally a diagram ..
We can sort it at the terminal if you wish.

Has a diagram ye, but was hazy in the garage at 6 this morning, or I was ;)

BIG"E" 21-05-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 162447)
Has a diagram ye, but was hazy in the garage at 6 this morning, or I was ;)

If you look on the lights they have a dot (small circle) which is the reference point.

555_Si 22-05-2013 04:48 AM

i was having problems with my deflectors as i have jdm hid projectors and they don't list them. going to sort them out on train i think.

Steve_PPP 22-05-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wagon_Si (Post 162451)
i was having problems with my deflectors as i have jdm hid projectors and they don't list them. going to sort them out on train i think.

Yep, not putting mine on until the train. It might still be gloomy at 5am driving to the Shell services, so might need the lights pointing the right (left ;)) way still....