South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   FMIC/OC fitting The stealth look! - Ginola's Project thread (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=17668)

555_Si 22-09-2015 11:08 PM

Nice, mucho approvo.

Bytes 22-09-2015 11:18 PM

Great job fella & good luck with the map :ok:

munk 23-09-2015 07:37 AM

really good read!! looking good!! did you do any further investigation into the millers nano tech,soot issues???

Red Baron 23-09-2015 07:58 AM

Good going, think it took me just as long to fit an ARB and fuel pump.

Rdlangy1 23-09-2015 08:20 AM

Looks amazing Dave :ok: - how many cups of coffee were consumed during that work I wonder! ha ha

Can't wait to see and hear the results...

Ryan :ok:

NL03Scooby 23-09-2015 09:02 AM

Amazing stuff Dave, great write up and can't wait to hear about the results after the mapping. I never felt what your car was like in its now previous form, let's hope I will get to experience it with its new heart soon!

Granby 23-09-2015 09:20 AM

Nice work Dave, are you gonna try a different oil?

scotty 23-09-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NL03Scooby (Post 214415)
Amazing stuff Dave, great write up and can't wait to hear about the results after the mapping. I never felt what your car was like in its now previous form, let's hope I will get to experience it with its new heart soon!

So you never got a passenger ride at the ring offt you enjoy when you can get a hot lap with Dave its lets just say ITS A BLOODY MISSILE :-D

Ginola 23-09-2015 02:14 PM

Thanks for all the kind comments, I'm still looking into the oil situation, I'm considering switching, if I do it will be to Motul 15/50 but kind of wanted to stick with the soup that is 10w60 as its a little thicker up at high temps.

the old engine had done 1950miles on that lot of oil btw

I found this on a thread on pistonheads:-

The 'Nano-drive' additive is not the moly, like I say, the moly in the analysis is a soluable form, which the vast majority of engine oils use these days, the Millers is just rather high in it as it's designed really as a competition oil so won't have as many detergents/dispersants fighting for the surface interface (although they do have similar levels to API specs so can be used daily), and doesn't need to meet regulations on phosphorous levels (so can use more ZDDP, etc).
The 'nano-tech' bit is actually a tungsten disulphide additive I believe, not moly.

Steve_PPP 23-09-2015 03:31 PM

I've been using the standard 10w60 Millers CFS for years on mine, wonder what it looks like inside :)

But then all the time it works, i'm not bothered. Thats also why I don't have an oil temp gauge :lol:

Rdlangy1 23-09-2015 03:56 PM

Always used Millers Nanotech in mine :ok:

(but then I do only drive at 30mph!) :drive:

Ginola 23-09-2015 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 214429)
I've been using the standard 10w60 Millers CFS for years on mine, wonder what it looks like inside :)

But then all the time it works, i'm not bothered. Thats also why I don't have an oil temp gauge :lol:

One of these days you will wake up and I will have fitted an oil temp gauge to your car! :geek:

alfa male 23-09-2015 07:16 PM

Schweet Dave :ok: Just to be nosey how many miles has each engine covered?

C. J. 23-09-2015 07:19 PM

I use the 15/ 60 version and not had the blackness you have at rebuild time

munk 23-09-2015 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 214423)
Thanks for all the kind comments, I'm still looking into the oil situation, I'm considering switching, if I do it will be to Motul 15/50 but kind of wanted to stick with the soup that is 10w60 as its a little thicker up at high temps.

the old engine had done 1950miles on that lot of oil btw

I found this on a thread on pistonheads:-

The 'Nano-drive' additive is not the moly, like I say, the moly in the analysis is a soluable form, which the vast majority of engine oils use these days, the Millers is just rather high in it as it's designed really as a competition oil so won't have as many detergents/dispersants fighting for the surface interface (although they do have similar levels to API specs so can be used daily), and doesn't need to meet regulations on phosphorous levels (so can use more ZDDP, etc).
The 'nano-tech' bit is actually a tungsten disulphide additive I believe, not moly.

thanks for that...:ok:

Steve_PPP 23-09-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 214440)
One of these days you will wake up and I will have fitted an oil temp gauge to your car! :geek:

If you could jack it up and fix the oil leak on it at the same time, that'd be great :doubleup: :D

Bolesroor 23-09-2015 07:41 PM

Great read Dave :more: , looking forward to the mapping results :ok:

Ginola 26-09-2015 10:58 PM

Mapped today, more timing, lots more airflow :shock: run slightly less boost (3% less duty) making lots more power :O circa 430bhp was the given guestimate, can turn the boost up more but think that will do for now :)

Seems a fair bit faster, pulls harder than before and keeps going:O seems weird flying into the red line and keep going before changing, despite owning a JDM car before shifting at nearly 8 grand now seems a little alien, Perhaps I need a JDM rev counter..

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfa male (Post 214442)
Schweet Dave :ok: Just to be nosey how many miles has each engine covered?

old engine, just over 80k 45 of which covered at around the 400bhp mark, newer JDM now fitted, 49k (removed for a standard car)

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 214443)
I use the 15/ 60 version and not had the blackness you have at rebuild time

do you use cfs 15/60 or nanodrive 15/60 dude? I used to run 15/60 summer and 10/60 or 10/50 winter (didn't feel the need for 60 in the winter and not on track)

I think I will replace the current oil with Motul 15/50 when back.

scotty 26-09-2015 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 214654)
Mapped today, more timing, lots more airflow :shock: run slightly less boost (3% less duty) making lots more power :O circa 430bhp was the given guestimate, can turn the boost up more but think that will do for now :)

Oh yes i need another passenger lap to see and feel the difference :drive::smile:

NL03Scooby 27-09-2015 10:20 AM

Looks like some pleasing results then, when you can claim it 'pulls harder for longer' I think that says it all for a positive result, good stuff.

Getting it out on track will be the real tell tale sign now.

Ginola 27-09-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NL03Scooby (Post 214662)
Looks like some pleasing results then, when you can claim it 'pulls harder for longer' I think that says it all for a positive result, good stuff.

Getting it out on track will be the real tell tale sign now.

2 and a bit weeks till then ;)

Its always good to pull harder for longer indeed :???:

C. J. 27-09-2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 214664)
2 and a bit weeks till then ;)

Its always good to pull harder for longer indeed :???:

Two & a half weeks and can't wait :D

Ginola 13-11-2015 08:21 PM

Small update since our return from Spa, and new engine fitted I attempted to buy some
Alcon 365mm Calipers and discs today only to find out that they dont quite fit under my current wheels :( (don't think they will fit under either of my sets :sad:)

So now have some decision making to do on that front, as not sure what the best step forward is.. currently looking at lots of wheels!

I also had the map re-tweeked today after a dyno pull last Saturday revealed the car was running a little bit rich and was down a little bit on power from where we had expected it to be. We had originally mapped with a bit of leak on the IC pipework and with the knowledge that engine was an unknown on its way to Spa a week after fitting had been done on the safe side. (385bhp/320lb/ft at 1.45 bar and 10.8's on the AFR)

Hats of to Richard at FB Tuning who assisted me with fitting a few bits and then re-tweeked the fuelling, turned the boost up just a smidge and told me there was room for a little more!.. As I did not manage to fit any brakes today I had time to dive in on Charlie at Surrey Rolling road for a quick power run to see how much difference the little tweek had made..

Quite happy with the results ;)

440/380 @1.6bar will do nicely ;)

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...psekrlmtaf.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...psxgqcydep.jpg

Rdlangy1 13-11-2015 08:28 PM

Wow!!

Amazing result Dave - u must be well chuffed :ok:

C. J. 13-11-2015 08:34 PM

Good stuff , I'm sure you fitted some yellow bits today to ;)

scotty 13-11-2015 08:46 PM

Good luck in finding a set of nice wheels to fit over the Alcons as we all know thats a fecking minefield like:lol:

Ginola 13-11-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 216446)
Good stuff , I'm sure you fitted some yellow bits today to ;)

I did!!!

I also fitted some whiteline rear diff cradle bushes!! Thank you C.J.!! x

C. J. 13-11-2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 216448)
I did!!!

I also fitted some whiteline rear diff cradle bushes!! Thank you C.J.!! x

Best to keep it up to date :D

NL03Scooby 13-11-2015 09:11 PM

Shame about the Alcons but I am sure your will find a solution one way or another.

Some really good results from that JDM lump and glad to hear everything should have been ironed out to make it both reliable and 'pokey'! I wonder if running at 440 makes you a little on the nervous side for your longevity...?

scotty 13-11-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NL03Scooby (Post 216450)
Shame about the Alcons but I am sure your will find a solution one way or another.

Some really good results from that JDM lump and glad to hear everything should have been ironed out to make it both reliable and 'pokey'! I wonder if running at 440 makes you a little on the nervous side for your longevity...?

Not on a JDM block stronger than uk block .

Ginola 13-11-2015 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NL03Scooby (Post 216450)

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty (Post 216451)
Not on a JDM block stronger than uk block .

Blocks are the same ;) internals slightly different, pistons and cams/heads

There are plenty of folk running standard UK 2.0 north of 450

NL03Scooby 13-11-2015 10:03 PM

No denying the JDM block can take a lot, and that UK lumps are running plenty too, but I know Dave is a man who, despite all his track time, likes his engine to be well within its limits and running as sweet as a nut.

Banstead Stig 13-11-2015 10:17 PM

440 should make for a cracking car.

Much more and it would be utterly pointless on the road in my opinion as you'd never really get to stretch its legs.

I'm not massively superstitious, but I'm not sure I'd have tinkered with my car on Friday 13th!!

Ginola 13-11-2015 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banstead Stig (Post 216455)
440 should make for a cracking car.

Much more and it would be utterly pointless on the road in my opinion as you'd never really get to stretch its legs.

I'm not massively superstitious, but I'm not sure I'd have tinkered with my car on Friday 13th!!

Thats why the brakes didn't fit under my wheels!! Grrr! :angst:

It definitely shifts a little more urgently than before :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by NL03Scooby (Post 216453)
No denying the JDM block can take a lot, and that UK lumps are running plenty too, but I know Dave is a man who, despite all his track time, likes his engine to be well within its limits and running as sweet as a nut.

I do Rob!, its within safe limits at the mo, but I would not really want to push any more boost on the standard headbolts, defi's are reading 1.7 1.75bar :doubleup:

555_Si 14-11-2015 09:00 AM

Very nice.

Bytes 14-11-2015 11:27 AM

Great results Dave :doubleup:

Bolesroor 14-11-2015 11:45 AM

Very nice Dave, watched your recent Spa laps,car looked amazing BTW, I will have to book a passenger lap with you somewhere, sometime please :drive: and add to, my portfolio of great passenger laps,which currently includes 'E', PPP, drakesnow and scoobyslayer ;-)

scooby doo 14-11-2015 12:00 PM

Cracking result . Bet it drives awesome

Ginola 14-11-2015 01:06 PM

Cheers guys, It drives great now.

Any time Steve ;)

Anger 15-11-2015 11:24 AM

Getter quickly buy the car before the brakes come off ;)