South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Members Car Profiles (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   new pride and joy!! (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=9796)

scotty 07-07-2016 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 (Post 228236)
Liking the Defi's also :10:

That be your next purchase :drive:

SamSTI 15-07-2016 09:49 PM

Had a nice little delivery from the postman today. The last bits needed before remap next month.
After chatting with Rich from FB tuning the other day, I've decided to go decat all the way :)

Stuck a bit of heat wrap on tonight (don't worry the elastic band won't be staying lol)

Roll on the 19th August.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...psoiyobhxn.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...pszqizr0kz.jpg

Ginola 15-07-2016 10:40 PM

Nice one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NL03Scooby 16-07-2016 09:37 AM

So when is the big day for the map? How comes you went de-cat in the end, I thought you had already got a sports cat down pipe?

SamSTI 16-07-2016 09:54 AM

19th of August Rob.

I've always wanted to go de-cat but didn't want to keep changing exhaust back every mot. Now I've found a very nice mot man locally to me, so that shouldn't be an issue now :)

I never ordered sports cat in the end, was still undecided.

NL03Scooby 16-07-2016 10:01 AM

Good stuff, if you can find a good mot man then there is no reason not to to de-cat, especially as it's cheaper then a sports cat. Look forward to seeing your results after the map.

Rdlangy1 16-07-2016 10:01 AM

Should be amazing when rich works his magic...

Cummon rob - u next!

NL03Scooby 16-07-2016 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 (Post 228440)
Should be amazing when rich works his magic...

Cummon rob - u next!

Tell me about it, but that bloody suspension knock may have resulted in some cash going elsewhere...

I am considering going about things the same way as same and purchasing a few bits and building them up for the big day. Another down pipe is the first on my list to buy followed by an up pipe.

SamSTI 22-08-2016 02:37 PM

Well last Friday I went and spent the day with Rich at FB tuning for remap and a few parts installed:
Decat all the way through (heat wrapped down pipe)
Green panel filter
3 port boost solenoid

Well, what can I say.. The car feels amazing now, so much more throttle response and power. Feels like a whole new car! He worked it out to be about 340bhp now :) Definitely worth the 4 hrs stuck on the m25 on way back.

As for Rich himself.. What a bloke! Talked me through everything he was doing and showed me ways to improve on things. He even took the time to sort out my oil pressure which has always been a bit on the low side (thicker oil and raising the idle level a little solved this)

I can't recommend him highly enough! There's nothing he doesn't know about subarus. You even get to rummage through his massive amount of scooby parts lol!

Ginola 22-08-2016 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamSTI (Post 229609)
Well last Friday I went and spent the day with Rich at FB tuning for remap and a few parts installed:
Decat all the way through (heat wrapped down pipe)
Green panel filter
3 port boost solenoid

Well, what can I say.. The car feels amazing now, so much more throttle response and power. Feels like a whole new car! He worked it out to be about 340bhp now :) Definitely worth the 4 hrs stuck on the m25 on way back.

As for Rich himself.. What a bloke! Talked me through everything he was doing and showed me ways to improve on things. He even took the time to sort out my oil pressure which has always been a bit on the low side (thicker oil and raising the idle level a little solved this)

I can't recommend him highly enough! There's nothing he doesn't know about subarus. You even get to rummage through his massive amount of scooby parts lol!

Glad you had a good one :) He mentioned how clean your car was which is a credit to you as he doesn't dish out complements that often.

You might find it makes a little more than 340 ;)

Rdlangy1 22-08-2016 02:49 PM

:ok: glad everything worked out well - totally agree with Rich being a great guy!

Mine has its MOT this Fri - be interesting to see if the new Map helps it through the emissions (running less rich now)...fingers crossed!

SamSTI 22-08-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 229611)
Glad you had a good one :) He mentioned how clean your car was which is a credit to you as he doesn't dish out complements that often.

You might find it makes a little more than 340 ;)

He did say it was just an estimate. He told me to let him know if I go on the r/r what she makes.

To be honest though.. Whatever she makes is a bonus, the way she feels now is amazing. Wish I had it done sooner lol.

Need to find a quieter exhaust for track days now though :)

NL03Scooby 22-08-2016 03:05 PM

Glad all went well and you are happy with the results. Once I get my suspension sorted seeing Rich at FB is next on my list, once a few more mods to accommodate the remap have been purchased.

Ginola 22-08-2016 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamSTI (Post 229613)
He did say it was just an estimate. He told me to let him know if I go on the r/r what she makes.

To be honest though.. Whatever she makes is a bonus, the way she feels now is amazing. Wish I had it done sooner lol.

Make a little sound vid I bet it sounds awsome ;)

C. J. 22-08-2016 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamSTI (Post 229613)

http://www.revolution247.com/jetex-h...-h81r-tsa-h81r

Ginola 22-08-2016 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 229616)

This will defo make it quiet

C. J. 22-08-2016 03:43 PM

Very free flowing to :)

SamSTI 22-08-2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 229615)
Make a little sound vid I bet it sounds awsome ;)

Will make a vid next time I'm out. She does sound lovely :)

SamSTI 22-08-2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 229616)

Cheers Chris, that looks perfect :)

SamSTI 22-08-2016 04:22 PM

Will it effect the way the map is with current setup though?

C. J. 22-08-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamSTI (Post 229621)
Will it effect the way the map is with current setup though?

What's on there now ?

SamSTI 22-08-2016 05:22 PM

3inch down pipe narrowing down to 2.5, afterburner vortex cat back.

C. J. 22-08-2016 05:31 PM

More than likely it'll need a tweek

SamSTI 22-08-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 229624)
More than likely it'll need a tweek

Cool. Cheers Chris

Ginola 22-08-2016 06:56 PM

new pride and joy!!

As CJ says quiet ones are a little more restrictive generally (not always though if you scale up the width at the same time) most of the time you'll lose a tiny bit of flow at the top and it will want a tweek

Scott.T 23-08-2016 01:46 PM

You may need to back the timing off a touch as a free flowing system allows a touch more advance as the heat gets out quicker.
It depends how close to detonation it's running on the current map.
Normally swapping around various manufacturers stainless systems makes no discernible difference.
Popping a standard cat back on or a sports cat can cause det due to the flow restrictions.

Ginola 23-08-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott.T (Post 229639)
You may need to back the timing off a touch as a free flowing system allows a touch more advance as the heat gets out quicker.
It depends how close to detonation it's running on the current map.
Normally swapping around various manufacturers stainless systems makes no discernible difference.
Popping a standard cat back on or a sports cat can cause det due to the flow restrictions.

Exactly this,

Had to pull a degree out of the top on mine when switching to 3"milltek from slash angled jap exit free flowing system.

SamSTI 23-08-2016 10:22 PM

Cheers gents. Still enjoying the loudness at the mo :) no track days planned till next year, so plenty of time to source an exhaust and tweek the map.
Thanks again for the advice :)

Bolesroor 25-08-2016 04:10 PM

Nice one Sam, was the car a std sti before you started adding bits?

Lucky 25-08-2016 05:13 PM

Nice one Sam. I remember when I had the hawk decatted and mapped. It was bloody scary for the first few miles lol. screamed, popped and pulled like a b****d. I did end up changing the afterburner in the end. I loved the noise it made but it was pretty antisocial!. I also seem to remember you saying you were going to stay standard engine wise lol 8-):lol:

SamSTI 25-08-2016 10:37 PM

Cheers Steve! Agreed was stunned with the difference, I'm driving round with a massive smile on my face at the moment.
Haha! I did say that... Think I did well to last 4 years though. God knows what I'll do next in another 4 years.. :)

SamSTI 03-03-2017 03:07 PM

Just a little update.

I spent Monday up with Rich at FB tuning for a full service, cambelt, all new shinny brake discs and pads all round and a general map check.

Apparently the last person to change the cambelt left the crank pulley guide touching the belt!! So after five years and many track days... I think my engine is quite lucky to be still going lol.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps2obowyib.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...psvw8ttw9m.jpg

Apart from that everything was ok. Rich did say he thinks my front wheel bearings will need to be changed soon (making some weird noises when cold) so that will be the next job.

Also after talking with Rich about changing my exhaust for a quieter one (trackdays lol)
he recommended going 3inch all the way through, in which he said he might be able to up the boost a little (currently running 1.4). So will be looking around for that soon.

Any one got any recommendations for exhaust? Cobra/miltek?

Rdlangy1 03-03-2017 03:24 PM

Cobra 3" for me but def not quiet :ok:

SamSTI 03-03-2017 03:35 PM

I did have a look at the Cobra 3" track day exhaust.. but wasn't sure how restrictive it would be.

http://cobrasport.com/index.php/cobr...th-de-cat.html

Steve_PPP 03-03-2017 04:15 PM

Ouch, that's an impressive job on the cam belt install!

bigemp 03-03-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamSTI (Post 234735)
I did have a look at the Cobra 3" track day exhaust.. but wasn't sure how restrictive it would be.

You was lucky about the cambelt then Sam if you want to hear a milltek i have full system on mine

Hongkongfooi 03-03-2017 08:19 PM

Milltek Sam

C. J. 03-03-2017 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamSTI (Post 234735)

Conrad's got one and it's very quiet

SamSTI 03-03-2017 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigemp (Post 234741)
You was lucky about the cambelt then Sam if you want to hear a milltek i have full system on mine

Yes please Dave. I think I need to listen to a few. The inner child in me wants something loud.. but my brain wants something quiet enough for track days lol. I need to find one that's in the middle.

Ginola 04-03-2017 12:52 AM

I have a miltek fitted at the mo, and its louder than the cobra 3" trackday friendly system I had fitted previously on full chat, but quieter on idle/static testing! I think a cobra with their standard sized trackday friendly system in 3" would be ideal, I think it flows a little better than the miltek too after back to back testing.

For comparison Sam check my Doningtion vid with Tim in the passenger seat (2 laps or something before black flag with miltek), next to Goodwood clip with passengers.. bare in mind that I asked for a custom 4.5" exit on the cobra which would have increased the volume a lot, but you will get the idea ;)

Lucky break with the cambelt, I saw a high millage wrx up at Rich's a few months back where they had not been so lucky and the belt had wrapped round the crank pulley and locked it, all the cams jumped and it was bye bye engine! compression tested all cylinders... 0 !