South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   The Ring Zone (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   SES 2017 Trip to Nurburgring - 19/05/17 to 23/05/17 (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=22173)

NL03Scooby 19-04-2017 08:50 PM

The in-coming storm and hail showers almost made Big E run I am sure of it...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1aa73e6415.jpg

nikkinokkinoo 26-04-2017 04:50 PM

Hello Folks, I've been watching a few you tube things on the ring and one of them mentioned a contact number in case of an accident. I'd not really thought about this but here is the number from the website - maybe others already have it (not that I plan to use it!)

Emergency numbers

• Nurburgring office +49 2691 302215 The first place to report accidents

BIG"E" 26-04-2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NL03Scooby (Post 236349)
The in-coming storm and hail showers almost made Big E run I am sure of it...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1aa73e6415.jpg

Ill have you know I've done the London Marathon in 3hrs 34mins.. :doubleup:

alfa male 26-04-2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 236593)
Ill have you know I've done the London Marathon in 3hrs 34mins.. :doubleup:

On a push bike!!! :asskiss::getmecoat::rofl:

little emp 26-04-2017 07:46 PM

This is probably a bit of a stupid question but I've read in quite a few places that cameras are now banned on the nordschleife, but obviously there are thousands of on board videos online. So, I was just wondering is it a case of putting the camera in more of a discrete place within the car instead of somewhere it's easily seen e.g.the windscreen? Or is it just one of those rules that no one really worries about enforcing?

Just thought I'd ask so if it does need to be hidden, I can work out a more discrete place to mount it.

BIG"E" 26-04-2017 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little emp (Post 236607)
This is probably a bit of a stupid question but I've read in quite a few places that cameras are now banned on the nordschleife, but obviously there are thousands of on board videos online. So, I was just wondering is it a case of putting the camera in more of a discrete place within the car instead of somewhere it's easily seen e.g.the windscreen? Or is it just one of those rules that no one really worries about enforcing?

Just thought I'd ask so if it does need to be hidden, I can work out a more discrete place to mount it.

They used to be banned but last year I think it was? They have said its now ok.

I think this is because they can also be used in the case of an accident as evidence, they've realised that its almost impossible to police.

But I could be wrong.

Im taking my Gopro :ok:

Lucky 27-04-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfa male (Post 236601)
On a push bike!!! :asskiss::getmecoat::rofl:

In his car :mrgreen:

little emp 27-04-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 236617)
They used to be banned but last year I think it was? They have said its now ok.

I think this is because they can also be used in the case of an accident as evidence, they've realised that its almost impossible to police.

But I could be wrong.

Im taking my Gopro :ok:

That makes things easier then, I'll definitely be taking mine too in that case :-D

Thanks!

Steve_PPP 29-04-2017 11:17 AM

Yes they relaxed rules on cameras a couple of years ago, suction or fixed mounts in car are fine. They don't like passengers just holding cameras (although obviously impossible to police). External suction mounts are not allowed.

Anger 29-04-2017 12:09 PM

I'm staying 5 mins from Bruunchen, so you guys will have to let me know when your there :)

555_Si 29-04-2017 05:53 PM

Will do James, you over with others?

Anger 29-04-2017 07:25 PM

A few Cossies and Evo's

Ferd 03-05-2017 01:14 PM

Not long now :drive:

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to drive the Ring, insurance and all that nonsense and as Frenchie will attest to, they're a bit funny over here with such things. I definitely still want to go, I just wonder how others manage to organise things here, or do they simply throw caution to the wind and go around any way.

BTW, is there any possibility of persuading you guys to come via Luxembourg so I can meet up with you? I can assure you the drive through the Ardennes is much more spectacular than the northern route (which I avoid because the Brussels ring road is a nightmare), plus there's nice cheap fuel waiting for you at the border before Germany, along with a damned good Burger King if you're feeling peckish.

Steve_PPP 03-05-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taomyn (Post 236891)
Not long now :drive:

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to drive the Ring, insurance and all that nonsense and as Frenchie will attest to, they're a bit funny over here with such things. I definitely still want to go, I just wonder how others manage to organise things here, or do they simply throw caution to the wind and go around any way.

BTW, is there any possibility of persuading you guys to come via Luxembourg so I can meet up with you? I can assure you the drive through the Ardennes is much more spectacular than the northern route (which I avoid because the Brussels ring road is a nightmare), plus there's nice cheap fuel waiting for you at the border before Germany, along with a damned good Burger King if you're feeling peckish.

We normally drive the Ring whilst being aware of the insurance situation - basically assuming we are uninsured is the safest bet.

In terms of the route, I think most of us feel the usual route for us is the best route. We've made the journey a lot of times know where we're going, and where the best fuel stop for us is (between Liege and Verviers on the E42 whilst getting lunch). Whilst the Brussels ring road is pretty crappy, the time of day we use it normally isn't too bad - roughly midday on a Friday.

Can you plot the route from Calais to Auderath (where the hotel is) on google maps and link us - i'm just curious. I'm guessing Calais - Lille - Namur - then head south to Luxembourg?

The other issue is that we like to get to the Ring as early as possible, the Friday afternoon is the best time to get on track all weekend as its nice and quiet usually. :)

Ferd 03-05-2017 02:43 PM

Yup: https://goo.gl/maps/i9QCY4tUADE2 and recommend stopping at the border before Trier.

Granby 03-05-2017 02:47 PM

Trier is also worth a visit, stayed there a few times for the WRC

Ferd 03-05-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granby (Post 236912)
Trier is also worth a visit, stayed there a few times for the WRC

Yup, lovely place :ok:

BIG"E" 03-05-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 236907)
The other issue is that we like to get to the Ring as early as possible, the Friday afternoon is the best time to get on track all weekend as its nice and quiet usually. :)

At the moment the Ring is closed on Friday.:doubledown::doubledown:

Steve_PPP 03-05-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 236924)
At the moment the Ring is closed on Friday.:doubledown::doubledown:

WHAAATTTTTTT??? :notworking:

Steve_PPP 03-05-2017 05:17 PM

Just noticed this Strongman run thingy is on Sat/Sun whilst we're out there.

24km assault course :o
http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/events...ongmanrun.html

No idea of the route but assume as there's still two full days of TF that it doesn't go anywhere near the Nordschleife...

edit/ found this:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9xnln6XsAAEUm-.jpg

Looks like it might close the back way to the Ring at least (where we go right at Kelberg roundabout and through the villages rather than straight on past Lidl)

scotty 03-05-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 236926)
Just noticed this Strongman run thingy is on Sat/Sun whilst we're out there.

24km assault course :o

Could do that in my sleep :-D shame im not going .

Anger 03-05-2017 08:00 PM

Watched them doing the course a few years back, looked hard work

The Handbrake 06-05-2017 11:33 AM

British motorists on the continent face £640 speeding fines from today

http://http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/british-motorists-on-the-continent-face-%C2%A3640-speeding-fines-from-today/ar-BBAMCuD?ocid=ob-fb-engb-57

British motorists on the continent face £640 speeding fines from today

On the plus side does this mean I get a nice "driving Miss Daisy" ride over? :) ok until at least the authbahn :WR1::P1::angst::RB320::RCM::smblk::smblk::FIVE-0:

Ferd 06-05-2017 12:35 PM

Finding the "autobahn" is getting harder these days as speed limits slowly creep in -there's not as many left as there used to be.

I did find this part amusing in that article:

Quote:

The Department of Transport said: “Whilst the UK is still a member of the EU, we are obliged to bring in rules on cross-border enforcement.

“Once we have left the EU, our Parliament will have the power to amend the law.”
Amend the law to what? When the UK has left the EU it will no rights to any data and vice versa, so they still can't start prosecuting EU drivers unless they actually stop them on the spot. They can do that already - oh, sorry no they can't because they keep taking police off the streets and the roads. Muppets.

At least I know for certain now that I can simply ignore the cameras when I visit the UK. I just need to be careful driving back through Belgium and France.

555_Si 06-05-2017 06:41 PM

Roads are so bad here you'll have trouble speeding on them anyway!!

NL03Scooby 07-05-2017 08:50 PM

Not long to go now folks, just a reminder of the meet details on Friday 19th and the all important checklist. As has been pointed out some of the stuff in the list may or may not be law in mainland Europe but if you have it all there shouldn't be any issues!

06.20 Meet @ the Shell service station Junction 11 M20 (CT21 4GH)

06.40 Leave for Euro tunnel terminal. (2 minutes down the road)

06.45 Check in

07.50 Depart UK.

The Check List FOR THE CAR

1: Spare Bulb Kit
2: Warning Triangle
3: Hi Visibility Vests (1 for each person in car to be kept inside, not the boot)
4: Headlight Beam Deflectors (see link below)
5: Fire Extinguisher
6: First Aid Kit
7: Octane Booster (personal choice)
8: Oil (optional but advised)
9: GB Sticker (if you dont have GB on your number plate)
10:Spare Key
11: Sat Nav (with European Data)
12: Crash Helmet (not compulsory)
13: European Insurance & Breakdown Cover (make sure it covers repatriation, just in case)
14: Track insurance (those insured with Keith Micheals, call Moley)
15: Driving License, insurance cert. V5 form and MOT certificate to be carried at all times !
16: Locking wheel nut tool
17: Tyre pressure gauge
18: Breathalyser kit

PERSONAL ITEMS

1: PASSPORT !!
2: Euro Tunnel confirmation e-mail with booking reference and dont forget to register you API http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/advance...r-information/
3: E 111 (optional additional health insurance)
4: Euro's and debit / credit cards (inform bank that you are away for safety)
5: Mobile Phone & Charger
6: Headache Tablets (trust me)
7: European Plug Adaptor
8: Walkie talkies ? (I will be bring the same 3 or more if I can acquire some)
9: Big bag of cash. Euros.

Ferd 07-05-2017 09:06 PM

Nice list. BTW at least one hi-viz vest must be in passenger cabin, not in boot i.e. accessible without leaving the car.

BTW, if anyone forgets something, send me a message, if I have it I can bring it along. I can PM someone my mobile phone if it's useful.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Steve_PPP 08-05-2017 08:33 AM

Just another thing to mention based on the last couple of years...

We've previously got to the tunnel check-in barriers and found there's space on the earlier train rather than the one we'd booked on. Some people went with what was booked, whilst some went for the first available train so the group got split up. We managed to rendez-vous again in France but its easiest if we all stay with the 07:50 train should the same thing happen again... :)

BIG"E" 08-05-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 237213)
Just another thing to mention based on the last couple of years...

We've previously got to the tunnel check-in barriers and found there's space on the earlier train rather than the one we'd booked on. Some people went with what was booked, whilst some went for the first available train so the group got split up. We managed to rendez-vous again in France but its easiest if we all stay with the 07:50 train should the same thing happen again... :)

I agree entirely with what you've said.

Trouble is with the automatic check in, it allocates you the train giving you the mirror tag..
Which I believe is what happen last year,
don't forget those that have booked the over 1.85m to follow the correct lanes.

Steve_PPP 08-05-2017 10:30 AM

At the barriers you get a screen that says which train you want, and a choice of the earlier one or your booked one? Or at least I've always got that choice? :)

Neil97rs 08-05-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 237226)
I agree entirely with what you've said.

Trouble is with the automatic check in, it allocates you the train giving you the mirror tag..
Which I believe is what happen last year,
don't forget those that have booked the over 1.85m to follow the correct lanes.

As a first timer I couldn't agree more. You all saw yesterday what im like at going to the correct meeting points so I would get hopelessly lost

Ferd 08-05-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 237235)
At the barriers you get a screen that says which train you want, and a choice of the earlier one or your booked one? Or at least I've always got that choice? :)

Yup, always appears that way for me

Seanedg 08-05-2017 01:02 PM

I'm the same!
used the tunnel loads of times, but I always get lost, wrong lane etc.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

NL03Scooby 08-05-2017 01:11 PM

Everyone getting the same train makes life a bit easier when we get over to France. I do recall having the option on the screen to choose the train, and then panicking and selecting the one at the top not considering the consequences and hoping for the best.

We do have to deal with the fact we get split up on the train between the tall and normal vehicle height sections but at least we would all be on the same train together.

BIG"E" 08-05-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 237235)

I'll look out for that then :whistle:

nikkinokkinoo 08-05-2017 04:58 PM

Getting excited - my alarm will be set this year and I hope to be on the train with the majority of you.

Small % of me thinking of taking the WR1......

BIG"E" 08-05-2017 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkinokkinoo (Post 237291)
Getting excited - my alarm will be set this year and I hope to be on the train with the majority of you.

Small % of me thinking of taking the WR1......

Glad you've got things sorted..

I'll give an early morning call..

555_Si 09-05-2017 01:52 PM

Menus for Friday evening meal will be up at the weekend i hope once Jackie has got them across to me.

Steve_PPP 09-05-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 555_Si (Post 237370)
Menus for Friday evening meal will be up at the weekend i hope once Jackie has got them across to me.

Hmmmm, Mixed Grill or Pork Lukullus I reckon, not that we know the menu or anything :lol:

555_Si 09-05-2017 11:19 PM

Got the menu's, will post them tmrw when i get a moment, usual last minute, lets build a track car rush on. Only just got in from working on it this evening.