South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   555 Wagon Squadron's AREA 51 (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Project "Stealthy" 400 or 500bhp (or something in between)"operation granby" (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=1274)

BIG"E" 07-04-2010 10:23 AM

Owwwwwwwwwwch.

Even I know thats not quite right.:shock:

But what would cause that to happen??

Fuel, mapping, oil pressure, type of oil, any ideas??

I certainly wouldnt want that to happen to mine, niether would anyone else.:doubledown:

Does it mean a new engine or can the piston 3 area be repaired ??

Granby 07-04-2010 10:57 AM

Its down to det, as to why it was detting i don't really know

Still don't know what to do yet as i've lost interest in the car at the moment

Scott.T 07-04-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granby (Post 43457)
Its down to det, as to why it was detting i don't really know

Still don't know what to do yet as i've lost interest in the car at the moment

Does your ECU not flash the CEL when it detects detonation, or do you have a Knocklink (or similar).

I set the CEL and Knocklink flashing on mine, when these both flash in unison, it's a good time to back of. Thanksfully it's not often......and normally down to poor fuel.

Granby 07-04-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 43460)
Does your ECU not flash the CEL when it detects detonation, or do you have a Knocklink (or similar).

I set the CEL and Knocklink flashing on mine, when these both flash in unison, it's a good time to back of. Thanksfully it's not often......and normally down to poor fuel.

got knocklink yes, they did flash but by the time i backed off the damage was done

Skullfudge 07-04-2010 01:09 PM

Not enough fuel is the reason I would guess!.

You are asking for trouble with Maf sensors & Knock links when pushing bigger power levels I reckon.

I guess opting for a Syvecs or Motec ECU will bypass the worry of further det probs.

Scott.T 07-04-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granby (Post 43462)
got knocklink yes, they did flash but by the time i backed off the damage was done

Oh!! not good then....defo a big hit that one....

Scott.T 07-04-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullfudge (Post 43465)

You are asking for trouble with Maf sensors & Knock links when pushing bigger power levels I reckon.

I guess opting for a Syvecs or Motec ECU will bypass the worry of further det probs.

Is knock correction (KC) sorted on these then, last I read (and it was a while ago) Bob Rawle was still trying to get the MOTEC to perform reliable KC.

Most aftermarket ECU don't have KC, although rumours are abound that a newer release of Simtek will have KC.

Granby 07-04-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullfudge (Post 43465)

Simtek is mafless, knocklink picks up engine noise and is separate from the ECU so has no effect, it just give a visual warning

trails 07-04-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 43467)
Is knock correction (KC) sorted on these then, last I read (and it was a while ago) Bob Rawle was still trying to get the MOTEC to perform reliable KC.

Most aftermarket ECU don't have KC, although rumours are abound that a newer release of Simtek will have KC.

Been waiting over 18months for the active knock control for Simtek. Both Syvecs and Hydra support active knock correction.

C. J. 07-04-2010 08:20 PM

Nice Vice :-D
When i have taken all 4 pistons out they are all the same so dont think its dont to fuelling and is more down to the plug tip coming of and hitting the piston . Just my thoughts .
I'd bore it to out new pistons and rods and put it al back in if it was me or the 2.0 JDM block you have been offered is the cheapest option and would support the current level of the car .:doubleup:

Scott.T 07-04-2010 08:28 PM

I don't think the plug tip has come of, it could of melted due to the heat.
If the engine ignites early when the piston is still on the up-stroke all that energy and heat has gotta go somehwere

I had the same happen on my RS Turbo years ago, luckily for me only the plug was damaged, the engine survived.

C. J. 07-04-2010 09:04 PM

As said just my thoughts
Every one entitled to their own thought

trails 08-04-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 43500)
If the engine ignites early when the piston is still on the up-stroke all that energy and heat has gotta go somehwere

I had the same happen on my RS Turbo years ago, luckily for me only the plug was damaged, the engine survived.

that's what my money is on, the plug tip should have just passed out of the exhaust valve...

Either way I hope Ian decides to keep it :)

Squadron-Leader 08-04-2010 11:05 AM

SORN the Wagon, cover it up and take a break for a few months. This will give you time to decide what you're going to do.

From my point of view... after spending all that money and time on it, it would be criminal to throw the towel in. It was turning into great Newage that can now be pushed even further and made into a monster.

As the saying goes... "All good things come to those who wait" ....so wait a while.

Skullfudge 08-04-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 43467)

I guess the Motec800 has the issue sorted Silver.
When I was competing in this years Marham 30-130 there were many many cars blowing up or breaking things and I text Olly Clark concerned about keep on running.
His reply was "drive it like you stole it, have fun" which indicates that he knew I would not have any knock/det probs.

This is what made me comment to Granby. If you have paid out for a decent ECU you should never have an issue with it because the ECU should be controlling the fuel/air/timing etc surely?.

Jolly Green Monster 08-04-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 43500)

imho plug tip came off, broke the gas layer between combustion / flame front and the piston, pistons cannot withstand actual combustion heat, there is always a gas layer between it and the piston surface.. tip has broken that layer and the combustion / flame front has melted the piston.. there is bounce marks on the top of the piston from the plug tip and the head..

the piston is the same colour as the other four pistons, if it were lean it would show on the piston colour, there would be less carbon build up etc..

if it were detting then it would have flashed the light and knock link previous to this etc and there is no det evidence on any of the pistons, or the heads..

I have just looked at the engine not the pictures btw

Simon

Jolly Green Monster 08-04-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trails (Post 43528)
that's what my money is on, the plug tip should have just passed out of the exhaust valve...

Either way I hope Ian decides to keep it :)

after bouncing on the piston

Granby 08-04-2010 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster (Post 43553)
imho plug tip came off, broke the gas layer between combustion / flame front and the piston, pistons cannot withstand actual combustion heat, there is always a gas layer between it and the piston surface.. tip has broken that layer and the combustion / flame front has melted the piston.. there is bounce marks on the top of the piston from the plug tip and the head..

the piston is the same colour as the other four pistons, if it were lean it would show on the piston colour, there would be less carbon build up etc..

if it were detting then it would have flashed the light and knock link previous to this etc and there is no det evidence on any of the pistons, or the heads..

I have just looked at the engine not the pictures btw

Simon

What about the minimal carbon build up on the cylinder head for number 3 cylinder, also i did mention to you that the knock link & cel light have flashed up before

Jolly Green Monster 09-04-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granby (Post 43594)
What about the minimal carbon build up on the cylinder head for number 3 cylinder, also i did mention to you that the knock link & cel light have flashed up before

It is contaminated with oil from the failure.
If you look the carbon is the same.

Granby 17-04-2010 05:00 PM

Well guys i've made my decision....................i'm breaking the car

Its been sitting outside my house for a month now and i have zero enthusiasm to fix it

If anyone wants anything keep a lookout in the for sale section or PM me

C. J. 17-04-2010 05:48 PM

anti roll bars and anti lift kit & what suspension kind sir !

Hongkongfooi 17-04-2010 06:05 PM

fmic first dibs!

and how much for your K sports?

You selling your double din kenwood?

Hongkongfooi 17-04-2010 06:20 PM

I probably sound like a Vulture..sorry.

Granby 17-04-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi (Post 44380)

As long as you've got the money i don't care lol

C. J. 17-04-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi (Post 44380)

Feel that way too but seems a lot has gone already !

Granby 17-04-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 44383)
Feel that way too but seems a lot has gone already !

i'd rather people did want bits than not at all :wink:

C. J. 17-04-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granby (Post 44384)
i'd rather people did want bits than not at all :wink:

Yep to true
I just wish id known earlier !

Mortster 17-04-2010 11:40 PM

Drop links and anti roll bars gone yet?

Granby 17-04-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortster (Post 44419)
Drop links and anti roll bars gone yet?

sorry yes

trails 18-04-2010 10:41 AM

shame :(

Granby 18-04-2010 01:08 PM

Genuine STi wagon newage rear strut brace for sale

http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...4447#post44447

SUBARMAN 18-04-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trails (Post 44428)
shame :(

There should be a funeral with full military honours really....even for an especially nice Wagon!!!

:SMBLU:

Skullfudge 18-04-2010 07:37 PM

I am really shocked. Not lose of interest but deep down pissed off I think matey.

I would have been.

Squadron-Leader 19-04-2010 03:33 PM

Ian

Sad news, but totally understand. I wrestled with getting rid of my 04 Wagon for months. In the end it had to go.

I’ve now got my Corsa CDTi for daily runs and a classic in the garage.

Will you leave ownership completely or just take a break?

Granby 19-04-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squadron-Leader (Post 44610)
Ian

Sad news, but totally understand. I wrestled with getting rid of my 04 Wagon for months. In the end it had to go.

I’ve now got my Corsa CDTi for daily runs and a classic in the garage.

Will you leave ownership completely or just take a break?

Not sure at the moment, got something else lined up so will see

Granby 03-05-2010 06:15 PM

Well i might as well bring this thread to a end, the wagon is in bits apart from the bodyshell & 90% of the bits are sold

Got my new car now which i'm very happy with but i've gone sensible as i've bought a Vauxhall.......................................... .......Monaro 6 litre V8 (452bhp & 466ft lbs) :grin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../1604916-9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../1604916-7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../1604916-1.jpg

Anger 03-05-2010 06:25 PM

Nice... like it alot mate :norty:

Nige 03-05-2010 06:28 PM

Gone sensible you mad fool !!! I bet you have a very big grin on your face :-D Well done mate & take that silly Vauxhall badge off it & replace with the proper one. Looks like a minter :drive:

Granby 03-05-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nige (Post 46928)
Gone sensible you mad fool !!! I bet you have a very big grin on your face :-D Well done mate & take that silly Vauxhall badge off it & replace with the proper one. Looks like a minter :drive:

Rear badges are off already, front one will go :wink: still getting used to it but the back end does step out a little bit :yeah:

Nige 03-05-2010 06:41 PM

They should of just named them OPPOSITE LOCK & be done with it Ha! Ha!. Please come to the Ring we have room. :drive: