South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Wheels,Tyres & Brakes (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   DAMN!, think I've Knackered something! (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=6713)

Lucky 03-01-2011 06:05 PM

DAMN!, think I've Knackered something!

Cleaned the car New years eve, put it in the garage until today, when reversing it out the brakes clunked as it moved, and now every time I brake there is a loud knock??. Weird as I purposely left the handbrake off so they didn't stick, so can only be the fronts where I stopped in the garage. I hope its just loosened something rather than warped something :shock: Called Brent so I guess I'll find out tomorrow :sad:

C. J. 03-01-2011 06:10 PM

sorry to hear
only way to know is wheels off and have a look
wouldn't think it'll me much wrong

Crowman 03-01-2011 06:10 PM

Hope all is ok mate
I reckon it will be something simple and easy.
Fingers crossed

BIG"E" 03-01-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowman (Post 70305)
Hope all is ok mate
I reckon it will be something simple and easy.

:agreed:

Fingers crossed.

Hongkongfooi 03-01-2011 06:19 PM

my brakes clunk a lot...its just the pads moving slightly in the calipers....nothing to worry about.

BIG"E" 03-01-2011 06:27 PM

The only time mine make a noise is when I apply the brakes when reversing.

stiggy 03-01-2011 07:09 PM

Got a little over eager with the jet wash under the arches once,rear shocks started to knock. A little lube sorted it.....

Lucky 03-01-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi (Post 70309)
my brakes clunk a lot...its just the pads moving slightly in the calipers....nothing to worry about.

Yeah, this is more of a rotational knock every time the disc turns. Cant think it can be much as the car hasn't been anywhere, so whatever has happened it can only be while the pads were freeing themselves from the wheel coming out of the garage, but never the less, they don't sound good.

DukeBoy 03-01-2011 08:07 PM

Give it a run around the block, probably just abit of corrosion on the discs due to lack of use since wash.
Mine does it after i wash it and let it sit all day, couple of heavy braking sessions soon cleans them up again :doubleup:

urabusMY94 03-01-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeBoy (Post 70325)
Give it a run around the block, probably just abit of corrosion on the discs due to lack of use since wash.
Mine does it after i wash it and let it sit all day, couple of heavy braking sessions soon cleans them up again :doubleup:

Agreed - clean the film of rust off the disks and see if it's still there.

Good luck :ok:

Scott.T 03-01-2011 08:26 PM

My Brembo's always stick/knock if left in the garage after a wash.
Had to really give it some beans one day after left for a week. Clutch spelt pleasant after that one...NOT....

MIDLIFE 03-01-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 70328)
My Brembo's always stick/knock if left in the garage after a wash.
Had to really give it some beans one day after left for a week. Clutch spelt pleasant after that one...NOT....

:agreed: Always leave car in gear with handbrake off when I put it in the garage.

Scott.T 03-01-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIDLIFE (Post 70338)
:agreed: Always leave car in gear with handbrake off when I put it in the garage.

It's not the handbrake but all four calipers, you can physically feel them un-siezing one by one. And yes they get maintained and have plenty of copper ease on em'. I just put it down to being a Brembo thing.

alfa male 03-01-2011 09:48 PM

Surely you can run the car round the block generatng a little heat in the disk, tuck your babies away, then once you awaken them weeks later you'll have nice rust free disks? Only an idea?

Lucky 03-01-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIDLIFE (Post 70338)

Yep, the handbrake was off, but as Scott said, it seemed to need all 4 freeing up, It used to do the same every now and again on the brembo discs, and pads, but its now on Performance friction discs and EBC Blue pads. I'll take it out again in the morning as try it again, but it didnt have the usual graining sound where they've not been used, more of a knocking when I brake

BIG"E" 03-01-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 70363)
Yep, the handbrake was off, but as Scott said, it seemed to need all 4 freeing up, It used to do the same every now and again on the brembo discs, and pads, but its now on Performance friction discs and EBC Blue pads. I'll take it out again in the morning as try it again, but it didnt have the usual graining sound where they've not been used, more of a knocking when I brake

Knocking from the front or back ?

Lucky 03-01-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 70364)
Knocking from the front or back ?

Fronts mate. I'm used to the usual sounds. It was dark tonight when took it out so I'll give it a go in the morning again.

Lucky 03-01-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfa male (Post 70362)
Surely you can run the car round the block generatng a little heat in the disk, tuck your babies away, then once you awaken them weeks later you'll have nice rust free disks? Only an idea?

Yep, I should do that really. I will from now!

Lucky 04-01-2011 12:09 PM

Well that was a fuss about nothing LOL. Took it out this morning and drove it for a while and it seems all it was was rust on the discs, but as the pads are new and different to the Brembo's it appears they make it sound worse than it is. Cheers for all the comments, it appears you were all right :worthy:

Guy B 04-01-2011 12:17 PM

Glad to hear it mate :doubleup:

scooby999 04-01-2011 12:32 PM

1 more reason NOT to wash the car

scoobycoops 05-01-2011 07:35 PM

I didn't drive much over xmas. Went to my folks xmas eve and reversing off the drive boxing day, heard a clunk and the wheels locked.

Now need a transfer box, bearings and clutch.

I WISH I WISH I WISH I WISH it was just brakes...!! And I didn't even wash the scoob!

Lucky 06-01-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobycoops (Post 70564)
I didn't drive much over xmas. Went to my folks xmas eve and reversing off the drive boxing day, heard a clunk and the wheels locked.

Now need a transfer box, bearings and clutch.

I WISH I WISH I WISH I WISH it was just brakes...!! And I didn't even wash the scoob!

Ah mate, feel for you, that's a nightmare. It seems whenever I dont use it for a while, that's where the problems start.

ralliart didz 06-01-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 70402)
Well that was a fuss about nothing LOL. Took it out this morning and drove it for a while and it seems all it was was rust on the discs, but as the pads are new and different to the Brembo's it appears they make it sound worse than it is. Cheers for all the comments, it appears you were all right :worthy:

hi lucky,i have had the same problem with my brake discs stiking,it started in the cold weather,went 2 drive 2day and put in reverse and it wouldnt move utill i gave it more revs,load clunk and the pads unstuck of the discs.hope i dont get the same when my new 4pots and 2pots +new discs go on.it must be a common fault with scoobys as it never happened 2 any of my other cars ive owned

scoobycoops 06-01-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 70605)
Ah mate, feel for you, that's a nightmare. It seems whenever I dont use it for a while, that's where the problems start.

1000000% agree. Take it out everyday and spank it - no problems.
Day off - big problems!!!

ralliart didz 06-01-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobycoops (Post 70717)
1000000% agree. Take it out everyday and spank it - no problems.
Day off - big problems!!!

i am going 2 spank mine now .lol:mrgreen::drive:

Steve_PPP 06-01-2011 08:43 PM

i washed the scoob last week, then put it straight in the garage still wet.

hasn't moved since.... :(

bob'5 21-01-2011 02:57 PM

Give them Bluestuff NDX a good workout :D

Lucky 21-01-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob'5 (Post 72398)
Give them Bluestuff NDX a good workout :D

LOL, Bob, they a bloody fantastic pads. The harder I stamp on them, the better they get!!. Glad I went for them :doubleup: