South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Car / Scooby Chat (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Train or Ferry (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=23996)

Big Kas 01-03-2021 08:53 PM

Train or Ferry

Just wondering whether the train or Ferry to EU is best for lowered cars? To give you an idea of how low my GC8 is I cannot go over speed bumps without mounting the pavement .. haha

Really hoping I don't have to raise the coilovers just to be able to get onto a ferry/train lol

Frenchie 02-03-2021 06:48 AM

I've spent a lot of time on ferry's and never seen any cars having problems. Have used the tunnel a few times without problem, but I'am sure that the guys who regularly go to the Ring can update you.

BIG"E" 02-03-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Kas (Post 253600)
Just wondering whether the train or Ferry to EU is best for lowered cars? To give you an idea of how low my GC8 is I cannot go over speed bumps without mounting the pavement .. haha

Really hoping I don't have to raise the coilovers just to be able to get onto a ferry/train lol

Without doubt the Eurotunnel is better for lowered cars..

When booking it asks you if you are carrying bikes on the roof tick YES

When you check in:

Your ticket should have an arrow pointing upwards.

Then follow the signs for over 1.85m (separate lanes) you will get funny looks but it is perfectly legitimate to do so I've done this for years,
Eurotunnel ATM is cheaper too.

asperformance 02-03-2021 03:52 PM

what difference does the roof rack option make???

@Big Kas why are you running it so low anyhows??

Steve_PPP 02-03-2021 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asperformance (Post 253603)

If you've got anything on the roof (like bikes) then you count as a high vehicle and they put you on the single deck part of the train, which means you don't have to go up/down the ramps when you drive on.

I've never had a problem on the double decker part but i'm not running that low.

asperformance 03-03-2021 09:33 AM

cheers for that, learn something new everyday......

BIG"E" 03-03-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asperformance (Post 253605)
cheers for that, learn something new everyday......

The lower deck that you get put on to when you state you are over 1.85m (no extra cost) is also wider so if you drive a wider car you are less likely to dink an alloy.

ps. My WR1 does catch the front splitter if going onto the ferries (depending on the tide) or on the upper deck on the train

Big Kas 03-03-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Just for the looks haha :-D

Big Kas 03-03-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 253602)
Without doubt the Eurotunnel is better for lowered cars..

When booking it asks you if you are carrying bikes on the roof tick YES

When you check in:

Your ticket should have an arrow pointing upwards.

Then follow the signs for over 1.85m (separate lanes) you will get funny looks but it is perfectly legitimate to do so I've done this for years,
Eurotunnel ATM is cheaper too.

Perfect :) will be doing exactly that if I end up booking, thanks for the advice

asperformance 04-03-2021 09:05 AM

too low actually ruins the handling