South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Car / Scooby Chat (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New WRX STi (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=21088)

Frenchie 02-02-2016 07:37 AM

New WRX STi

Does anyone own or has tried the new WRX STi? What do you think? I have another test drive tomorrow. The look is growing on me and its a very smooth drive. I've looked at other marks, but still get drawn back to the Subaru brand.

Lucky 02-02-2016 07:52 AM

I know what you mean terry. I have driven one and they do still have a bit of rawness and character over the competition but the engine concerns me. It's now 10 years old and way behind in terms of fuel, road tax and performance. I am hoping an all new one is around the corner before the merc goes back next year.

Mortster 02-02-2016 08:28 AM

Put the new flat 4 from Porsche in one? ��

Banstead Stig 02-02-2016 09:18 AM

I know someone who had a 2012 and then a 2015.

He has already sold the 2015 as he couldn't get on with it on anything other than smooth tarmac. Definitely not a B road blaster.

On track it was quicker than his 2012, but he just couldn't live with it as his daily driver.

Just one man's view I appreciate, but worth seeing if you can get a weekend test perhaps to see what you think over a more realistic test.

scooby doo 02-02-2016 09:45 AM

I heard that they where meant to be a better platform from previous years. I just don't like the 2.5 engine feels lazy and smooth

Lucky 02-02-2016 06:12 PM

For me it'll either be another hawk, probably an RB as I still think ill get more enjoyment out of that than a new STI or, another brand along the lines if civic Type r, focus rs or even a jcw cooper s . Unless of course Subaru pull a rabbit out of the hat and Come up with a new STI. I'd love them too.

Frenchie 02-02-2016 07:22 PM

Still Surprised you've been this long without one Steve!!!

Scott.T 02-02-2016 07:37 PM

I think you'll be very disappointed with the power delivery compared to your modified WRX ;)

scooby doo 02-02-2016 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott.T (Post 219838)
I think you'll be very disappointed with the power delivery compared to your modified WRX ;)

I rolled in to culver well 340hp 2litre Sti, test drove a 330hp hatch 2.5 with 330 kit and was very dull I Must admit

Frenchie 02-02-2016 08:26 PM

What else should I be looking at Scott?

Hongkongfooi 02-02-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 219831)
For me it'll either be another hawk, probably an RB as I still think ill get more enjoyment out of that than a new STI or another brand along the lines if civic Type r, focus rs or even a jcw cooper s . Unless of course Subaru pull a rabbit out of the hat and Coke up with a new STI. I'd love them too.

come and drive mine to see what you think:ok:

Scott.T 02-02-2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 219843)
What else should I be looking at Scott?

Your asking the wrong person there.
I'm struggling myself to find something that ticks the practical but with occasional fun box.

SpecB 03-02-2016 11:57 AM

I've been considering the Twin Scroll Legacies or the Forester STI as the do both car, I've also considered looking at Nissan Elgrands!

Frenchie 03-02-2016 12:24 PM

Hi Nick,so does the Forester STi have the same engine as the WRX STi?. I know the engines a bit dated, but it is pretty much bullet proof. Will try and set up a test drive of the Focus RS, but not sure about the body style.

Banstead Stig 03-02-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 219883)
Hi Nick,so does the Forester STi have the same engine as the WRX STi?. I know the engines a bit dated, but it is pretty much bullet proof. Will try and set up a test drive of the Focus RS, but not sure about the body style.

The Forester STi has the EJ255 engine. I think (though not sure) that this is the same as the Hawkeye Impreza. I also believe it is the same block as the XT (though there are other differences which mean the STi is a better starting point).

I know a lot of people with Imprezas hate the 2.5 Subaru engine and suggest it is weak and so on and so forth, but having been part of the Forester "community" for almost five years there seem to be far fewer examples (even accepting there are fewer Foresters than Imprezas) with the Forester suffering in the same way.

It's not because people don't modify them, as there seem to be just as many with the wick turned up.

Maybe they are more carefully modified? Maybe the Forester brethren are an older, wiser bunch on average and therefore have more mechanical sympathy? I don't know, but it certainly seems they stand up as a more reliable package.

Sod's law says mine will go pop tonight, but hey ho!

Frenchie 03-02-2016 08:44 PM

Well had a test drive in very wet conditions and car handled great. Shape has grown on me. A bit smooth and quiet compared to my modified WRX (you were spot on their Scott), but getting older and quiet enjoyed it.With the SI Drive in intelligent mode even my Wife was happy driving it,big bonus! Impressed with the female sales assistant as had a very hairy moment at pace and she didn't flinch.Downside is a 4 month waiting time due to the fact the US are taking all they can get.

BIG"E" 03-02-2016 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 219909)
.Downside is a 4 month waiting time due to the fact the US are taking all they can get.

Just in time for the Ring then..😊

Frenchie 07-02-2016 04:55 PM

So had a look at the Focus RS, but didn't test drive it. Not too impressed with the look and after all it has a Ford badge on the front! European Subaru Sti has a much higher spec then the UK model. Think I might put myself on the waiting list.

BIG"E" 07-02-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 220183)
So had a look at the Focus RS, but didn't test drive it. Not too impressed with the look and after all it has a Ford badge on the front! European Subaru Sti has a much higher spec then the UK model. Think I might put myself on the waiting list.

:10: :10:

How long is the list/wait ? :doubleup:

Frenchie 08-02-2016 07:34 AM

Hi Ian, waiting time is a bit vague with 4 mths as a ball park figure. It seems that the USA is hoovering up all the STi's that Japan can produce.

BIG"E" 08-02-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 220191)
Hi Ian, waiting time is a bit vague with 4 mths as a ball park figure. It seems that the USA is hoovering up all the STi's that Japan can produce.

That's perfect for the Ring then.:doubleup:

Banstead Stig 08-02-2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 220198)
That's perfect for the Ring then.:doubleup:

That's one way to run in an engine...!

Frenchie 08-02-2016 09:27 PM

Agree, if it arrives in time might have to be a very slow lap, mind was never going to be that fast!!!!

BIG"E" 08-02-2016 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 220226)
Agree, if it arrives in time might have to be a very slow lap, mind was never going to be that fast!!!!

I guarantee it wont be. :drive: :drive:

Frenchie 09-02-2016 08:27 AM

Thanks Ian,

Frenchie 13-02-2016 07:30 PM

So I've placed my order for 2016 WRX STi in black, Club S which comes with every option.
Tried the Golf and looked at the Focus RS, but didn't do it for me. I must have Subaru blood in my veins. In France they impose a tax (malus) on eco unfriendly cars. The STi, being the most non eco car has a malus of 8000 euros , on our Renault Captur it was about 300.Fortunately Subaru rembourse this sum. Just have to wait 4 months now.

BIG"E" 13-02-2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 220468)
So I've placed my order for 2016 WRX STi in black, Club S which comes with every option.
Tried the Golf and looked at the Focus RS, but didn't do it for me. I must have Subaru blood in my veins. In France they impose a tax (malus) on eco unfriendly cars. The STi, being the most non eco car has a malus of 8000 euros , on our Renault Captur it was about 300.Fortunately Subaru rembourse this sum. Just have to wait 4 months now.

:10: :10: :doubleup:

Hongkongfooi 13-02-2016 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 220468)

nice one!:doubleup:

scotty 13-02-2016 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi (Post 220472)
nice one!:doubleup:

Just need you to go back to one now :wink:

Garyskisplym 23-02-2016 05:18 PM

Test driving one tomorrow but have not ever driven a scooby before or a flat 4. Come to think of it only turbo petrol I have driven for any length of time is a 1.4 Abarth

BIG"E" 23-02-2016 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garyskisplym (Post 221084)
Test driving one tomorrow but have not ever driven a scooby before or a flat 4. Come to think of it only turbo petrol I have driven for any length of time is a 1.4 Abarth

You'll be in for a treat then.. :doubleup:

Lucky 23-02-2016 06:01 PM

Nice one terry. The next 4 months will be the longest ever!!!

Garyskisplym 23-02-2016 06:12 PM

Only other rurbo I have driven is an evo X fq 300 sst that I test drove couple weeks ago

Garyskisplym 01-03-2016 10:09 AM

Test drove a wrx sti finally after a few cancelled attempts from both me and the dealership and loved it pick her up on Saturday.

Took it easy and had a lot of mechanical sympathy as engine was not warm and only 9 miles on clock. Also being the car I know I would be collecting if I liked I aired on the side of caution.

Frenchcie well sorry for you I'm hating having to wait 5 days let along 4 months fell sorry for you

Frenchie 01-03-2016 11:13 AM

Haven't met you yet and trying not to dislike you.�� Bet you can't wait for Saturday. What colour did you go for?

Garyskisplym 02-03-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 221516)
Haven't met you yet and trying not to dislike you.�� Bet you can't wait for Saturday. What colour did you go for?

Gone for wr blue frenchie and you???

Was a toss up between white and blue but white would have had to be ordered so choose white

Funny that a lot of people are starting to dislike me mainly cos most people only know I order a new car and not what I'm getting

Frenchie 02-03-2016 12:51 PM

For me was a toss up between WR Blue and Black, finally went for black. As Steve has already reminded me I'll be for ever cleaning it as we live in the middle of no-where surrounded by fields and mucky tractuers. The STi here is more expensive , but I think the spec is higher,ie all the UK options come as standard. Only 3 months,1 week, 2 days and 4 hours to go!!!!

Rdlangy1 02-03-2016 01:09 PM

cant wait to see this :ok: Love a well polished black car!

scotty 02-03-2016 01:16 PM

I think they look fecking awesome in white or black than the standard boring blue .

Garyskisplym 02-03-2016 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 221550)
For me was a toss up between WR Blue and Black, finally went for black. As Steve has already reminded me I'll be for ever cleaning it as we live in the middle of no-where surrounded by fields and mucky tractuers. The STi here is more expensive , but I think the spec is higher,ie all the UK options come as standard. Only 3 months,1 week, 2 days and 4 hours to go!!!!

67 hours for me now. Yes only option in the uk I'm aware of is the nav but I'll stick with my tom Tom. Rest are just accesorries. I was hoping the front lip and exhaust trim were still options but dealership aren't sure and looking into it for me if not will just order MY15 parts and hope they fit

Frenchie 12-06-2016 01:06 PM

So rang the garage yesterday and they said they will ring back Weds with a confirmed delivery date. Have just ordered an intercooler guard from the states.Can't do much in the way of modding due to warranty, but would like to fit a dump valve (Its my age). So does a dump valve affect engine running in anyway, don't want warranty problems, and which one do people recommend.

Frenchie 12-06-2016 01:27 PM

Forgot to say my last one was a Baileys, which sounded nice and never gave any problems.

Scott.T 12-06-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 227141)
So rang the garage yesterday and they said they will ring back Weds with a confirmed delivery date. Have just ordered an intercooler guard from the states.Can't do much in the way of modding due to warranty, but would like to fit a dump valve (Its my age). So does a dump valve affect engine running in anyway, don't want warranty problems, and which one do people recommend.

I wouldn't fit a dump valve if your worried about warranty.
Any dealer that see's it is likely to kick you out the workshop.....I would too ;)

Frenchie 12-06-2016 04:38 PM

So does that mean that you won't be fitting one to your new audi Scott

swrx2810 12-06-2016 08:54 PM

Warranty is just a sales gimmick anyway, whatever happens they will just put it down to wear and tear.

Scott.T 12-06-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swrx2810 (Post 227213)
Warranty is just a sales gimmick anyway, whatever happens they will just put it down to wear and tear.

Not on a new car they won't.
A second hand 3rd party warranty, yes, but not a new manufacturer warranty.

Ferd 13-06-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 227141)
So rang the garage yesterday and they said they will ring back Weds with a confirmed delivery date.

Fingers crossed it's not too much longer to wait.

Rdlangy1 13-06-2016 10:37 AM

Have to agree with Scott - having bought a second hand Audi - and having it just gone back this morning for a third time under warranty, I would say they are worth their weight in gold!

Ferd 13-06-2016 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swrx2810 (Post 227213)

Only if you don't exercise your consumer rights - they try and count on people being unaware and not bothering. Only this weekend something I ordered from Amazon March 2015, a HOTAS for my PC, some of the buttons/switches have stopped working. If you go through the normal links it tells you that you cannot request return/refund after 30 days, but use the contact form and tell them that "I demand a replacement or refund under the European two year warranty directive 1999/44/EC (http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumer_rights/rights-contracts/sales-guarantee/index_en.htm).", and less than two hours later they email me the RMA information for a free return, and eventual refund/replacement.

Frenchie 15-06-2016 07:47 PM

Had a call from the garage today and car will arrive at Le Havre on 6th July.Bad news is it may take up to 3 weeks before it arrives at the garage, lots of paperwork I guess, which France is very keen on. Well at least its getting closer.