South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Mechanics (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Key fob problem (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=23209)

davemar 23-05-2018 09:53 PM

Key fob problem

My 2005 WRX only has one key, and it's the sort with a single button to unlock the door and turn off the alarm and immobiliser. I was in the process of ordering an extra key and fob (I haven't seen a combined unit for sale), but as Sod's law dictates, the remote control part of my key stopped working yesterday.

Pressing the button does nothing. I can still unlock/lock the car with the key, but can't turn off the alarm. The other problem is I don't know the PIN code, so I can't enter it into the keypad. I've changed the battery in the key, but that makes no difference. So I'm rather stuck.

Any ideas to get out of this pickle without getting fleeced for hundreds at a dealer?

Frenchie 24-05-2018 07:27 AM

When I had the ecu changed on my old WRX I had to get a new key programmed. Went to Subaru in Robertsbridge (Culverwells?). They were excellent even though it took them ages and the cost was less than £100.

davemar 25-05-2018 09:58 AM

The remote just magically started working again yesterday! So I'm not sure why it wasn't in the first place. I've heard storied of RF interference causing problems, so not sure whether something was going on nearby to cause this.

Fingers crossed it is OK for now, and I'm aim to set myself the PIN ASAP while it's working, so I don't get stuck again.

Hrimfaxi 25-05-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemar (Post 244848)
The remote just magically started working again yesterday! So I'm not sure why it wasn't in the first place. I've heard storied of RF interference causing problems, so not sure whether something was going on nearby to cause this.

I've had this a couple of times, it can indeed be down to interference from nearby masts. Might also be your phone? If it happens again, pop your phone into 'flight mode' and see if it makes any difference.

SpecB 25-05-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemar (Post 244848)
Fingers crossed it is OK for now, and I'm aim to set myself the PIN ASAP while it's working, so I don't get stuck again.

Let us know if you have issues with this as I have a guide somewhere - get it done ASAP before the fob dies again!

davemar 26-05-2018 10:34 PM

I managed to enter in a new PIN using guidelines I found elsewhere. It took a few attempts, as the key presses on the keypad aren't the most reliable. So if I do have remote control problems I can at least use a PIN now.

I'll bear in mind the RF interference problem. There's far more RF crap around these days compared to when these alarms first came out.