South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Car / Scooby Chat (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   ISA (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=23553)

Frenchie 27-03-2019 07:19 AM

ISA

Just seen on the news that all new cars sold in the UK from 2022 will have Intelligent Speed Assistance. This will be a system to automatically stop you exceeding the speed limit,but as I understand can be over ridden in an emergency. Spunds dangerous to me.

asperformance 27-03-2019 08:21 AM

and when (how) will 'big brother' decide its an emergency??

just another reason to keep an old classic on the road.......

SpecB 27-03-2019 09:51 AM

I thought it was an EU idea - so more power to the Brexit campaign!

Frenchie 27-03-2019 11:29 AM

Sorry to disappoint Nick,but UK has said it will adopt whatever the result of Brexit. Better all pre order our 2021 cars.

SpecB 27-03-2019 11:33 AM

But I thought Brexit meant Brexit - or have I missed something - like the last 3 wasted years!

boggissimo 27-03-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 248740)
Just seen on the news that all new cars sold in the UK from 2022 will have Intelligent Speed Assistance. This will be a system to automatically stop you exceeding the speed limit,but as I understand can be over ridden in an emergency. Sounds dangerous to me.

I should read more about this, obviously, but how will the car know what the speed limit is? And what will happen if you are already going, say 60 mph (legally) and the road suddenly becomes a 30 mph limit? Will it brake for you? Sounds dangerous to me too.

SpecB 27-03-2019 04:20 PM

To be fair I already have ISA in my car it comes fitted to the passenger seat and asks me if I really need to be driving that f&@£big fast me every time I approach a speed limit!

I think the systems called the wife or something similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frenchie 27-03-2019 06:18 PM

Your right,didn't realise it ,but I have the same in the Subaru.

asperformance 28-03-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boggissimo (Post 248748)
I should read more about this, obviously, but how will the car know what the speed limit is? And what will happen if you are already going, say 60 mph (legally) and the road suddenly becomes a 30 mph limit? Will it brake for you? Sounds dangerous to me too.

its controlled by both GPS and traffic sign recognition.........

555_Si 28-03-2019 09:16 AM

our Peugeot 3008 has all the makings to do this, as has the speed limit come up on the dash from both gps location and mapping and also a road sign recognition camera, most of the time it detects the correct speed, but sometimes misses a sign post.

I think the whole idea is a complete waste of time, and I think some people will just drive foot to floor letting the system dictate the speed and thus cause an accident.

If you start taking the thinking away from the driver, it will become more dangerous as their mind focuses on non driving related thoughts. Involvement in driving can keep a driver alert.

People say they will get round this and get the system coded out, but all the government has to do is either spot checks or test it on the MOT and you're pretty well screwed. The insurance companies will love this system as they can data log etc, so if yo have an accident and the system is bypassed, kiss good buy to any insurance cover you thought you had.

I feel like going to live in some 3rd world country these days, as along with the Brexit screw up, I don't really think the future has a lot going for it, to me the whole interest in cars is dying. Cars are either boring or just mega expensive these days.

boggissimo 28-03-2019 02:16 PM

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20190328184072

Steve_PPP 28-03-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boggissimo (Post 248758)

Bah, they even used a white 3 series in the picture too :razz: :razz:

(my daily, in case you weren't aware... http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ad.php?t=23338)

Frenchie 29-03-2019 10:03 AM

I think the World of owning/driving a car is coming to an end. Personally if I still lived in the UK I would have a motorcycle,I hate coming back and having to drive anywhere,no pleasure involved. Fortunately here in Northern France the roads are empty and well maintained. With ISA on the horizon control is being taken away from the driver, I guess all this doesn't bode well for the sale of performance cars.

Banstead Stig 29-03-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 248770)
I think the World of owning/driving a car is coming to an end.

Certainly seems to be the long term policy of government.

Look at the way town plans seem to be going. **** all parking! It seems clear that car sharing/ community car schemes will be the way things go.

******** to that!

Scott.T 29-03-2019 10:29 PM

Have the police and local authorities added up what their loss of revenue will be from lack of speeding fines.

As said above I think people will just drive with their foot on the floor and lose concentration.

2022 The car will have the ability but you can switch it off.
Most modern cars have speed limiters already we just choose to leave them off.
All there doing is integrating it with GPS/Sign recognition and defaulting it to on.

I'm not sure what my road would register or how quick you'll be able to go down the start/finish straight at Goodwood, which is adjacent to the main road.