South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   SouthEastScoobies Meets & Events (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Track Driver Training - Wednesday 15th September (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=4302)

Hongkongfooi 20-04-2010 03:12 PM

Track Driver Training - Wednesday 15th September

After last nights exploits I feel a need to improve my track driving and apart from CJ yesterday has anybody had any guidance to recommend and where?

I have heard of these people with a good reputation and they do group stuff...i see the MLR take part

http://www.catdrivertraining.co.uk/i...-a-forums.html

Might be a good day out!?

Moley_WRX 20-04-2010 03:53 PM

www.track-masters.co.uk can organise these days for the club, and normally have them at North Weald (so not too far)

Anger 20-04-2010 04:25 PM

I'll be up for one of these 8-)

SpecB 20-04-2010 05:14 PM

Could be fun!

BIG"E" 20-04-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi (Post 44745)
After last nights exploits I feel a need to improve my track driving?

Mate you realy should not take it to heart that I passed you.:lol::whistle:

Sounds like fun, having some tuition.

worzel 20-04-2010 05:53 PM

I would be right up for a bit of this.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Scooby Si 20-04-2010 06:08 PM

What's the noise limit?? :p

worzel 20-04-2010 06:10 PM

103 :lol:

Hongkongfooi 20-04-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 44766)
Mate you realy should not take it to heart that I passed you.:lol::whistle:

Sounds like fun, having some tuition.

Take it to heart...course not:whistle::cry:

I will look into it then...

Steve_PPP 20-04-2010 07:58 PM

i'd also be interested :)

Nige 20-04-2010 08:35 PM

Yes please as i'm having a hard time with the Evo :drive:

Skullfudge 20-04-2010 09:18 PM

Good choice Gary.

Trackmasters days (I reckon) take some beating.
Mike & Son Anthony are dead easy guys to get on with.(Mike drove F1 in the early 70's).

I was about to start a time trial in the P1 when it was running at about 400, (on the start line) when all of a sudden my passenger door flew open. Mike jumped in, slapped me on my back & whilst putting his crash hat on said "right oh Clive, show me what you can do". I said to him " do you a deal. I'll show you, then you show me in this car".
We shook hands & he beat me by exactly one second :razz: Top Fella

Moley_WRX 20-04-2010 09:30 PM

Mike is an awesome driver, and a fantastic instructor.

This is Mike @ a very wet Brands in Feb this year (when Clive, Granby and me were there) in a 400bhp GT3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT0iRmXS6q4

worzel 21-04-2010 08:41 AM

Thats great :10:

Whats funny is the passengers breath. Because it's cold you can see the exhale, you have a look at how quickly he is breathing :lol:

Tim, this is a great idea and I think there will be a good take up on this.

Hongkongfooi 21-04-2010 01:25 PM

I've sent an email to trackmasters asking for availability/costs etc, I am thinking that the earliest for this might be august september for cost/time as school holidays for some and that cost and our ring trip costing a few ££'s. Hopefully they can suggest a saturday. I await there response!:doubleup:

Steve_PPP 21-04-2010 01:28 PM

nice work :doubleup:

August time would be good :)

Skullfudge 21-04-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi (Post 44936)
I've sent an email to trackmasters asking for availability/costs etc, I am thinking that the earliest for this might be august september for cost/time as school holidays for some and that cost and our ring trip costing a few ££'s. Hopefully they can suggest a saturday. I await there response!:doubleup:

Try this link :doubleup:

http://www.trackdays.co.uk/calendar/cars/

Skullfudge 21-04-2010 04:00 PM

I have been on several different days with Trackmaster's and it's not just track days they cover.

I would strongly suggest there Advanced Race Driving Days.

Typical day:

ARRIVAL:
Normally on an RAF base on HUGE tarmac/concrete aprons / areas.
Arrive at 8.00 - Briefing.
Choose lunch from menu.

MORNING:
All morning will be spent driving around a huge course (2000 - 3000 Mts) long made up of cones & will consist of short/long straights, tight & fast bends etc.

You & Instructor will drive your car & learn things like:-

Heel / Toe.
Left foot braking techniques,
Use of brakes whilst remaining on power,
Controlling & sorting out over & under steer situations
Etc

LUNCH:
Off to the RAF canteen to eat the lunch your chose when arriving.

AFTERNOON: :) (the best bit)
Normally 5 runs each basically driving the same course as fast as humanly possible against the clock. Small trophies at end of day.

As well as the aforementioned they have a separate area with a couple of cones where anyone can practice tight corner control, power sliding etc.

Guy's these days are SO MUCH fun. Awesome day out & you will drive home knowing an awful lot more about car control.

C. J. 21-04-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullfudge (Post 44956)
I have been on several different days with Trackmaster's and it's not just track days they cover.

I would strongly suggest there Advanced Race Driving Days.

Typical day:

ARRIVAL:
Normally on an RAF base on HUGE tarmac/concrete aprons / areas.
Arrive at 8.00 - Briefing.
Choose lunch from menu.

MORNING:
All morning will be spent driving around a huge course (2000 - 3000 Mts) long made up of cones & will consist of short/long straights, tight & fast bends etc.

You & Instructor will drive your car & learn things like:-

Heel / Toe.
Left foot braking techniques,
Use of brakes whilst remaining on power,
Controlling & sorting out over & under steer situations
Etc

LUNCH:
Off to the RAF canteen to eat the lunch your chose when arriving.

AFTERNOON: :) (the best bit)
Normally 5 runs each basically driving the same course as fast as humanly possible against the clock. Small trophies at end of day.

As well as the aforementioned they have a separate area with a couple of cones where anyone can practice tight corner control, power sliding etc.

Guy's these days are SO MUCH fun. Awesome day out & you will drive home knowing an awful lot more about car control.

sounds good :doubleup:

worzel 21-04-2010 05:46 PM

Yep, I'm right up for a drop of this :doubleup::five:

belliott 21-04-2010 06:11 PM

same here, well up for some lessons.

Moley_WRX 21-04-2010 07:49 PM

Have done 2 of their driver training days.

Great fun, learn a lot about the limits of the car (and yourself) and the afternoon 'sprint' sessions are brilliant.

Moley_WRX 21-04-2010 07:54 PM

This is from the last one i went to.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/c11umw

worzel 21-04-2010 08:06 PM

Mate , that is cool :cool:

I must have a bit of that :doubleup:

C. J. 21-04-2010 08:13 PM

Was at ford aerodrome which is concrete and riped the tyres to pieces .
If i go on one its got to be on tarmac

Moley_WRX 21-04-2010 08:16 PM

They don't do it at Ford anymore, the locals complained about the noise.

I think they do them at North Weald now (tarmac rather than concrete)

Skullfudge 21-04-2010 09:59 PM

Yep Weald is correct Gary

worzel 22-04-2010 08:56 AM

I will take a set of spares I think. ;-)

C. J. 22-04-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 45079)
I will take a set of spares I think. ;-)

Take your back seat out and a set will fit securley in the back & evenly balance the weight :nod:

worzel 22-04-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 45080)
Take your back seat out and a set will fit securley in the back & evenly balance the weight :nod:

Will do mate, thanks for the tip :doubleup:

N47han_Hammonds 22-04-2010 11:36 AM

I wish I had a Scooby.... :sadnod:

worzel 22-04-2010 11:47 AM

You could always.................... erm....................... borrow one :whistle:

Skullfudge 22-04-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N47han_Hammonds (Post 45097)
I wish I had a Scooby.... :sadnod:

If you want one hard enough, you will have Scooby one day

N47han_Hammonds 22-04-2010 02:15 PM

the only real reason I havent is current car, is a rocket in many ways but gives me nearly 30mpg, living 18miles away from work, with a 40mile round trip its only the go go juice thats holding me back!!

"You could always.................... erm....................... borrow one :whistle: "

I do like yours Steve! :norty:

Jolly Green Monster 22-04-2010 08:13 PM

Have interest :)

Nige 23-04-2010 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N47han_Hammonds (Post 45097)
I wish I had a EVO.... :sadnod:

Thats more like it :shark:

worzel 23-04-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N47han_Hammonds (Post 45137)

I think you might have to fight Moley off first :wink:

:five:

WRX_Paul 23-04-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N47han_Hammonds (Post 45137)
the only real reason I havent is current car, is a rocket in many ways but gives me nearly 30mpg, living 18miles away from work, with a 40mile round trip its only the go go juice thats holding me back!!

"You could always.................... erm....................... borrow one :whistle: "

Dont let the petrol put you off, I do 49 mile round trip to work every day in mine, i have done 34k since August 07 in mine, it is worth it!! I get about 280
miles to a tank.

worzel 23-04-2010 08:58 AM

Thats very true Paul.

They are in the end as Juicy as you want to make them really. The more you do / add, the jucier they get.

Skullfudge 23-04-2010 04:11 PM

As I am sure others will tell you, there are many unseen benefits to Driver Training days and it's not until you have taken part that you realise certain things such like:-

The full potential of a standard Impreza.
The gains of modified brakes.
The advantages of modified suspension.
Tyre choice.

Also a safe way (& often the first time) of experiencing issues such as:-

The feel of weight transfer due to high speed cornering.
Your cars reaction to braking hard at high speeds.
The limits of your brakes (which often isn't as good as you would imagine)!
Finding optimum rpm for up/down shifting.

Finally, as Gary (Morley WRX) mentioned you learn a lot about yourself. If most guys were honest you soon find out that you are know where near as good as you thought you were, which suggests that these courses work.

I have done bits & pieces of low key motor sport including National Karts, A Lister Jag in the Supercar Challenge run by the Lamborghini Owners Club, Navigating in Clubman level rally events and a few other bits, and I still find Training days good fun as I am still learning.

Still learning the P1 at moment too :).
562 Bhp/1290 Kg's is a bit of a friggen handful to be honest (Jolly Green & such guys will know what I am talking about).
Under hard acceleration & hard braking the car feels soooooo light ! and steer correction requires rapid reflexes.
The VERY WET Brands track day that many SES guys attended was my first
time out with 562 in the wet.
From Surtees & into Clearways at the pit entry point I was on the floor in 3rd, into 4th over the brow & I had traction issues in both gears. Steer correction was about every 10th of a sec to keep it looking straight and although brilliant fun I also realised that the chances of smashing the car to bits was really high, which was not an option, so I called it a day at 2.30.

With Project 2 hopefully finished end of 2010 I am now wondering if 650 Bhp in a car that weighs nothing is a sensible idea? :cuckoo: :twisted:

Hongkongfooi 23-04-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullfudge (Post 45223)
As I am sure others will tell you, there are many unseen benefits to Driver Training days and it's not until you have taken part that you realise certain things such like:-

The full potential of a standard Impreza.
The gains of modified brakes.
The advantages of modified suspension.
Tyre choice.

Also a safe way (& often the first time) of experiencing issues such as:-

The feel of weight transfer due to high speed cornering.
Your cars reaction to braking hard at high speeds.
The limits of your brakes (which often isn't as good as you would imagine)!
Finding optimum rpm for up/down shifting.

Finally, as Gary (Morley WRX) mentioned you learn a lot about yourself. If most guys were honest you soon find out that you are know where near as good as you thought you were, which suggests that these courses work.

I have done bits & pieces of low key motor sport including National Karts, A Lister Jag in the Supercar Challenge run by the Lamborghini Owners Club, Navigating in Clubman level rally events and a few other bits, and I still find Training days good fun as I am still learning.

Still learning the P1 at moment too :).
562 Bhp/1290 Kg's is a bit of a friggen handful to be honest (Jolly Green & such guys will know what I am talking about).
Under hard acceleration & hard braking the car feels soooooo light ! and steer correction requires rapid reflexes.
The VERY WET Brands track day that many SES guys attended was my first
time out with 562 in the wet.
From Surtees & into Clearways at the pit entry point I was on the floor in 3rd, into 4th over the brow & I had traction issues in both gears. Steer correction was about every 10th of a sec to keep it looking straight and although brilliant fun I also realised that the chances of smashing the car to bits was really high, which was not an option, so I called it a day at 2.30.

With Project 2 hopefully finished end of 2010 I am now wondering if 650 Bhp in a car that weighs nothing is a sensible idea? :cuckoo: :twisted:

Of course it will...be fun finding out!

chris1977 23-04-2010 06:04 PM

date depending i could be up for this

Anger 23-04-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris1977 (Post 45232)
date depending i could be up for this

You better pull your finger out and get that scoob sorted them :wink:

Hongkongfooi 25-04-2010 04:55 PM

I have sent a few emails but no response yet! I am away in cornwall this week so will monitor my mail from afar!

jay 26-04-2010 08:37 PM

This is from the last one i went to.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/c11umw

This vid is top banana!!! Wish i could do that!!!......never enough room down the industial estate to try!!

Moley_WRX 26-04-2010 08:40 PM

Callum is a VERY good driver

Hongkongfooi 11-05-2010 01:10 PM

had this back today.....sounds good but the date might be too soon for many? (I know I am in the lake district anyway!)

If anyone would like to suggest a weekend or suitable date I will get back to them!

Tim

Thanks for your email and voice mail ref driver training first bit of news is that our next driver training event on the 20th June at North Weald cost £149.00
Our Driver training is airfield based and focus's on the basics and what you the driver wants.
Format which is a guide only
Time
Groups
Activities
8.30am

Sign on and briefing
9.00-10.30
Group 1
Slalom & driver assessment

Group 2
Slalom & driver assessment
10.30-11.30
Group 1
Heel & Toe and Rotational Steering

Group 2
Heel & Toe and Rotational Steering
11.30-12.30
Group 1
Fast Corner & skid control (entry Positioning, Braking, Power and exit)

Group 2
Fast Corner & skid control (entry positioning, braking, Power and exit)
12:00 to 13:00
Both Groups
LUNCH
13.00-14.00
Both Groups
Sprint circuit Demo & practice
14.00-16.00
Both Groups
Sprint Circuit-timed laps
16.00-16.15
Both Groups
De-brief
Our instructors are Mike Wilds, Antony Wilds and Mark Ahlin all very experianced instructors so if you have specifics you want to
iron out those guys can help
We run a max of 12 cars split into two groups with two car exercising in seperate areas up until we run the sprint were you can run with instructors or alone, its your choice.
The days are targetted to be fun and relaxed
Should you not be able to make our event for the day advertised, happy to look at alternatives for you or even see what other organisers can offer should there be a need.
Regards
Mark s

Mark Stevens

07789 938011

Track days & Driver Training Days Run for Enthusiasts by Enthusiasts

www.track-masters.co.uk

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

worzel 11-05-2010 01:16 PM

Thats all coming together nicely Tim.

I would look for a later date for sure though, world cup and all that! :whistle:

Hongkongfooi 11-05-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 48023)
Thats all coming together nicely Tim.

I would look for a later date for sure though, world cup and all that! :whistle:

Exactly!

Steve_PPP 11-05-2010 01:25 PM

Sometime in July or August would be excellent :)