South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Engine Management (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   my99 ECUs Ae800, Ae801, Ae802 (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=22363)

Scott.T 03-04-2020 02:53 PM

Picking up on what I said in a reply above, that if you run too much boost on a stock ECU that you may hit the buffer on the Load Scale. The above 2 posts give an indication of that.
For Example, if you run high boost on the Ae801 Map you have 'upto' 42 on the load scale.
If the Ae801 Prodrive tune naturally runs 42 on the load scale, it still has headroom upto 46.
However, if you run Prodrive levels of Boost on the Ae801 ECU you may run a Load of 42, or more, which pushes you off the top of the map. The car will still run but it will only run whats set by Load scale column 42,there is no headroom.

viper1982 03-04-2020 02:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally thanks to some command lines that I read last night in a Romraider forum, which if you add to the logger.xml (of the ROMRAIDER) this is capable of connecting to the subaru ECU MY99 & MY00. It has been a while since I tried to do it with Romraider already which seems to be one of the few that admits to reading the IAM. Finally it was possible.
After reading the IAM to my vehicle, this frame was worth 16 (The ECU was in normal operation weeks ago, therefore I assume that I had "learned" everything necessary)
Then I did an ECU RESET to see the behavior of the IAM and it automatically drops to 8.
I assume from what you read out there that this value as the ECU "learns" will go up again if the forward and detonation conditions are okay, correct? is that true right? Ideally I understand that it is 16. Condition which is all good and the ecu uses the maximum multiplier. Scott you who have it very studied you can correct me if this is so effectively.
If anyone is interested in the .XML file edited for the Romraider Logger so that I can see the AE800 / 801/802 ECUs, let me know and see if I send it by email, since here I don't know if it allows me to upload the file. I will try anyway.

viper1982 03-04-2020 02:57 PM

SCOTT: Excellent work!!!! :cup:

HOW DID YOU GET THE VALUES OF AFR TABLE? What are the directions for Ecuquery en Ecuexplorer, can you facilitate me? Thank you, and again very good work that has done with lectures from different ECUs!

Scott.T 03-04-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper1982 (Post 252105)
Finally thanks to some command lines that I read last night in a Romraider forum, which if you add to the logger.xml (of the ROMRAIDER) this is capable of connecting to the subaru ECU MY99 & MY00. It has been a while since I tried to do it with Romraider already which seems to be one of the few that admits to reading the IAM. Finally it was possible.
After reading the IAM to my vehicle, this frame was worth 16 (The ECU was in normal operation weeks ago, therefore I assume that I had "learned" everything necessary)
Then I did an ECU RESET to see the behavior of the IAM and it automatically drops to 8.
I assume from what you read out there that this value as the ECU "learns" will go up again if the forward and detonation conditions are okay, correct? is that true right? Ideally I understand that it is 16. Condition which is all good and the ecu uses the maximum multiplier. Scott you who have it very studied you can correct me if this is so effectively.
If anyone is interested in the .XML file edited for the Romraider Logger so that I can see the AE800 / 801/802 ECUs, let me know and see if I send it by email, since here I don't know if it allows me to upload the file. I will try anyway.

That all sounds about right. I quoted it starting at 12, but it is a long time since I played with an Ae801/Ae802 ECU because I switched to Apexi in 2006.
My quoted IAM reset numbers are based on MY2000> which had a much larger following with RomRaider and OpenSource tuning capabilities etc.
I always re-coded this to rest at 16 when tuning, so I knew it was always running maximum advance. I would then set the reset value back to 12 on the final flash of the image.

XML has moved on with Romraider, so I would be interested in any logging XML or Image decoding XML that now exists for these ECU. I don't have an ECU to try it on, but I'm always curious.

If Romraider now can log and ghost the image onto the MY99/00 maps, then the MY99/00 ECU should be live programmable once re-configured by a guy in France (can't remember the name).
This would be a good option because it retains all the safety features of the standard ECU (i.e Knock control).
I did look at this some time ago, but due to no logging/ghosting ability it meant that you were still stabbing round in the dark a bit with map changes (the same as we had to tolerate from MY93-96 ECU).

Scott.T 03-04-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper1982 (Post 252106)
SCOTT: Excellent work!!!! :cup:

HOW DID YOU GET THE VALUES OF AFR TABLE? What are the directions for Ecuquery en Ecuexplorer, can you facilitate me? Thank you, and again very good work that has done with lectures from different ECUs!

AFR =14.57*128/Value(d)

viper1982 03-04-2020 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott.T (Post 252108)
AFR =14.57*128/Value(d)

Do you have the rangings to make the "query" so I can capture the HEX values, for example using the formula that gives me the conversion to DEC and finally to AFR?

* This is the link from where you can find the .XML modification for you to take a look.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...=7497&start=15

Proving enough times to edit the .xml and give an error, finally the command lines that I used were next:

<ecu id="1644500305">

<address>0x802244</address>

</ecu>

<ecu id="1644500405">

<address>0x80224A</address>

</ecu>

<ecu id="1644500505">

</ecu>

These values are for the AE800 (1644500305), AE801 (1644500405), & AE802 (1644500505) ECU's

Scott.T 03-04-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper1982 (Post 252109)
Do you have the rangings to make the "query" so I can capture the HEX values, for example using the formula that gives me the conversion to DEC and finally to AFR?

* This is the link from where you can find the .XML modification for you to take a look.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...=7497&start=15

Proving enough times to edit the .xml and give an error, finally the command lines that I used were next:

<ecu id="1644500305">

<address>0x802244</address>

</ecu>

<ecu id="1644500405">

</ecu>

<ecu id="1644500505">

</ecu>

These values are for the AE800 (1644500305), AE801 (1644500405), & AE802 (1644500505) ECU's

I'll have a look later. Old laptop battery isnt great and now flat. Also got to do a Covid-19 food dash.

Scott.T 03-04-2020 05:59 PM

This should keep you busy.
This is created by searching raw ECU dumps for known map data, then recording address locations :

Boost Limit (Hex)
0xC74 : 0xC83

Fueling MAP (Hex)
0x138F : 0x148E

Main Ignition MAP (Hex)
Map A
0x31C : 0x41B
Map B
0x61C : 0x71B

Hi Oct Ignition Comp MAP (Hex)
0x41C : 0x51B

Lo Oct Ignition MAP (Hex)
0x71C : 0x81B

Lo Oct Ignition Comp MAP (Hex)
0x51C : 0x61B

Rpm Scale (16x16 Grid)
0x137F : 0x138E

Load Scale (16x16 Grid)
0x136F : 0x137E

Boost Target
0x1EC5 : 0x1F04

Rpm Scale (Boost)
0x1DF3 : 0x1DFA

Thottle % Scale (Boost/Duty)
0x1DE2 : 0x1DE9

Boost Solenoid Max Duty
0x1F04 : 0x1F44

Rpm Scale (Duty)
0x1DFB : 0x1E02

Steve_PPP 03-04-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 252097)
Mind you I don't understand a word of it.

You and me both mate, and it's got even more technical since your post! :lol:

Frenchie 03-04-2020 08:17 PM

Hi Viper,where abouts in Argentina are you? Was there this time last year,beautiful country, friendly people and good red wine.

viper1982 03-04-2020 08:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
With all the information that I will be a good time entertaining.
It was very good doing the searches in the Ecuexplorer's Qery, until the MAP Fueling Table arrived.

I tell you what I did step by step.
1- Converti HEX to DEC = 0x38F: 0x48E = 911: 1166 so far everything ok.
2- Query with Ecuexplorer.
3- I throw a series of 16x16 grid values, ok, but ... the values that I read when converting them to DEC and then doing the mathematical operation that you provided me with AFR = 14.57 * 128 / Value (d) to obtain a readable AFR value is out of range. I think I made a wrong reading of the map or am looking in a non-ECU area.

viper1982 03-04-2020 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 252118)
Hi Viper,where abouts in Argentina are you? Was there this time last year,beautiful country, friendly people and good red wine.

Hello ! I am at the southern end of the country. Rio gallegos. Santa Cruz. It is very cold on these sides. I'm glad you met and you got a good impression of this country. As you say the best wines are from the Mendoza area. I was there in January for vacations. visiting wineries. :mrgreen:

Scott.T 03-04-2020 09:29 PM

0x38F: 0x48E is the address range in the ECU image for the fuel map.
The Hex data in cells 0x38F through to 0x48E (256 bytes) gives you a 16x16 grid which should be then be converted to decimal then have the conversion calculation applied.

I cant help much with how ecuexplorer displays maps because I just queried the whole image and then drop it into excel and home in on the maps/addresses of interest. My tool predate most of the current applications.
Romraider may be a better tool, just copy paste and edit existing XML

viper1982 03-04-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott.T (Post 252123)
0x38F: 0x48E is the address range in the ECU image for the fuel map.
The Hex data in cells 0x38F through to 0x48E (256 bytes) gives you a 16x16 grid which should be then be converted to decimal then have the conversion calculation applied.

I cant help much with how ecuexplorer displays maps because I just queried the whole image and then drop it into excel and home in on the maps/addresses of interest. My tool predate most of the current applications.
Romraider may be a better tool, just copy paste and edit existing XML

Thank you very much I will try what you say, I will see if my knowledge reaches since it is a more complicated subject the correct edition of the .XML if I am successful I count my progress.

Thank you:thanx:

viper1982 04-04-2020 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Scott! Finally, after several hours of testing, I was able to find the error why I couldn't see the tables with the corresponding values. It was a tiny but significant mistake in this hahaha. a number (1) preceding the search start value. 0x38F was 0x138F.

Now if I could read the Fuel Map and the values made sense.

Fueling MAP:
Hexagesimal = 0x138F: 0x148F
Decimal = 5007: 5263

Now if I continue the Query of everything else.
I wanted to warn you that I had been able to solve it and if someone follows this thread that does not have the same doubts as me.:ok:

viper1982 04-04-2020 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott.T (Post 234940)
The conversion I'm using has been in circulation/use for 15+ years (not just by me). They are also the same on 1993-1996 ECU of which I have mapped around 400, and all variants UK, WRX, RA, STI. All figures quoted online for these ECU types are based on this conversion.

Your method gives low values. If you applied this to a stock ECU the values would be too low. I'll do the math later.

What gear are you logging in, as it need to be a good 3rd/4th gear pull to get close to target boost. 2nd will under achieve.

Sorry to go back to so old, but what is the standardized value that is finally used to make the tables? or what is commonly adopted by subaru in its values.
14.57 PSI or 14.7 PSI? which is used in a standardized way. It depends on the values that you enter in the conversion so I consult.

Scott.T 04-04-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper1982 (Post 252125)
Scott! Finally, after several hours of testing, I was able to find the error why I couldn't see the tables with the corresponding values. It was a tiny but significant mistake in this hahaha. a number (1) preceding the search start value. 0x38F was 0x138F.

Now if I could read the Fuel Map and the values made sense.

Fueling MAP:
Hexagesimal = 0x138F: 0x148F
Decimal = 5007: 5263

Now if I continue the Query of everything else.
I wanted to warn you that I had been able to solve it and if someone follows this thread that does not have the same doubts as me.:ok:

Sorry about missing the '1'. I'll have been back and corrected it.
The data was decoded in an old spreadsheet I hadn't touched for years. I just gave it a quick look and copy/pasted into hear.

viper1982 04-04-2020 07:03 PM

no problem Scott.
I wanted to ask you if you don't mind that I share all the addresses you provided me with the AE8xx ECU in the ROMRAIDER forum to see if someone with experience creating .XML can get to do an Ecu definition or something that can help Romraider to You can do more reading. I don't know if that could contribute something since my knowledge of romraider and modifying .xml are very limited, but maybe it's something useful, right? what you think?

Scott.T 04-04-2020 08:03 PM

I have a licensed Epifan EcuEdit. That might work with Ae80x these days.

viper1982 04-04-2020 11:29 PM

I have that software on the pc. but I did not start to see what I can do with it. I will study it. Can you tell me with what software can I do a complete reading of the ECU or generate a .HEX o BIN of the complete ECU? I do not know if it would be convenient for me to create another new thread for this topic so as not to extend this one so much.

viper1982 05-04-2020 04:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, here I edited the question since trying the program you were telling me, ECUedit I could see the .BIN / .HEX of both ecu.
Finally my ECU PPP I read it with ECUexplorer "Query mode" Between 00000: 1FFFF It took a long time ... and it generated the .HEX File (I had to assign a termination if it does not record as a flat file, then unreadable for many of the programs) . The ecuedit is a very powerful tool, but you have to study hard and dedicate time to it because for those who don't know it is something complex. But it will keep me entertained for a long time I guess.
I share a couple of photos of map sectors I found using the directions you provided me earlier.
Then I will make the conversions from HEX to DEC and then to the corresponding units. All of this is interesting.

Scott.T 06-04-2020 08:38 PM

If I hadn't said before I meant to say yesterday that ECUExplorer query is how I read out my ECU. As I mentioned above when I read out my VF28 modified tune and saw how little the tuner changed (over 3 visits because after the first visit I was suffering overboost) it drove me down the route of doing it myself

Scott.T 07-04-2020 10:41 PM

How large was your ECU query file that you downloaded from the ECU, and what format does it store it in.

I started creating some Def's in ECUEdit but I need to confirm I am using the correct files.
The files I have found (downloaded from my ECU 15 years ago) seem small, so I think it is just the front end and maps subset.

When I compare them to Ae802.bin files, that I must of acquired at some point, they are much smaller but clearly from the first 1/4 or so of the image.

What doesn't help me, is my downloads were from previously ECUTEK'd Ae802 ECU so the first 20 lines or so of code are very different to the Ae802.bin I have.
I can only assume that this is ECUTEK data/licencing information.

Map addressing appears the same because I have reproduced the Boost Map in ECU Edit using the Ae802.bin and this matches the Boost Map in my spreadsheet which is aligned with the ECUQuery download.

If you can confirm the above question it will help me confirm I am using the correct data. I had almost given up looking for these downloaded files, but found them hiding in a directory I just happened to view with no file extension hence why a .bin or .hex search failed to find them.

Oh! and next time I create a Definition in ECUEdit I must remember to hit the save button !!!!!!!!!!!!!

viper1982 07-04-2020 11:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott.T (Post 252160)
How large was your ECU query file that you downloaded from the ECU, and what format does it store it in.

I started creating some Def's in ECUEdit but I need to confirm I am using the correct files.
The files I have found (downloaded from my ECU 15 years ago) seem small, so I think it is just the front end and maps subset.

When I compare them to Ae802.bin files, that I must of acquired at some point, they are much smaller but clearly from the first 1/4 or so of the image.

What doesn't help me, is my downloads were from previously ECUTEK'd Ae802 ECU so the first 20 lines or so of code are very different to the Ae802.bin I have.
I can only assume that this is ECUTEK data/licencing information.

Map addressing appears the same because I have reproduced the Boost Map in ECU Edit using the Ae802.bin and this matches the Boost Map in my spreadsheet which is aligned with the ECUQuery download.

If you can confirm the above question it will help me confirm I am using the correct data. I had almost given up looking for these downloaded files, but found them hiding in a directory I just happened to view with no file extension hence why a .bin or .hex search failed to find them.

Oh! and next time I create a Definition in ECUEdit I must remember to hit the save button !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Scott, the downloaded file from my AE801 Prodrive ECU is .BIN format It weighs 128 Kb
Just like all the other Roms I downloaded at the time.
I upload it to see if you can give it utility if you need another rom that I put in the image just tell me.

Regarding reading, I initially used the Ecuexplorer range 00000: 1FFFF, but the notebook hung and the reading was not finished, after two attempts and lost time I decided to look for another program, I found one called "ECUmem2" which is an executable file. This allowed me to read the ECU of 00000: 01FFFF without problems and it is the .bin that I uploaded here.

viper1982 07-04-2020 11:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
uhmmmm talking about file size ... check this out .. it's very strange. 1 byte difference? why?

In the first Image, the .ROM on the left I read yesterday with my pc and vagcom cable, with Ecumem2 of my GT99.
The .Rom on the right is the one downloaded long ago from some forum, possibly your reading, your file.

Scott.T 08-04-2020 12:03 AM

128K sounds correct.
I will check what address range I downloaded. I may of given up part way through due to the time taken.
I should be able to progress with ECUEdit definitions. But its logger definitions and map ghosting I want really.

viper1982 08-04-2020 04:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I was observing that that 1 byte difference when trying to compare both .ROM in the Ecuedit generates an error saying that what I want to compare are of different sizes, so today I changed my ECU in the car, put the AE800 and read with the same method and program that the AE801PPP read. thus achieving a file exactly the same. And so we can compare the ae800 hand in hand with the ae801ppp in the ecuedit.
I upload the file in case it is useful to you.
Unfortunately in my possession I have only those two ECUs. But the AE800 is the same as the AE801 so there is no problem. The only one that would be missing if it were the case is the AE802.

I have no idea why my readings are 1 byte different from the ROMs that are going around the internet.

Scott.T 08-04-2020 05:40 PM

I have all these bin.
Although I may not have the Prodrive one but I do have the map values obtained from an early ecutek beta tester.
I also have STi and P1 bin files and despite what press articles stated they both ran the same tunes.

viper1982 08-04-2020 05:49 PM

if it is not a problem could you send me the BIN of the Ecu of the impreza P1 & STI?

viper1982 11-04-2020 01:14 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I found in a forum one that made some map definitions in .XML. Doing a little reverse engineering i just edited the BOOST formula to show it in PSI, it was wrong and it showed a generic value. The rest is intact. They are not all the maps that you revealed but they are some. He helped me at least to see something. You must paste the file in the root directory of the ecuedit.
C: \ Program Files \ ecuEdit \

Just in case make a backup of the original file "ecuEdit.xml" first.

Then when opening the .BIN of the ECU you choose P JECS or I JECS and when opening the BIN you should see some tables.

* The scale of Load does not know in which units it is represented.

Scott.T 11-04-2020 08:54 PM

I'm getting there with the ECUedit definitions.
A bit of a learning curve assigning a bin to a new ECU XML file and using a 2001> WRX definition as the initial 'clone'. There must be an easier way but I'm getting there.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...bb92b24f_z.jpg

viper1982 11-04-2020 09:01 PM

We are looking for the same thing, I am trying to find ECU definitions that are more or less similar to see if I find the "easy" way to adapt the addresses. But I am still there seeing how it is and how it can be done.

Can you tell me if the scale of "LOAD" is expressed in "MAF voltage" only that it is in another unit where for example 46.00 would actually be 4.6 volt?
I am trying to better understand how the load represents since I have seen that some tables represent them in G / s and others in G / rev, which is really confusing. And it seems more logical and simple to measure it in MAF Voltage.

I see that you have Winols installed, I was investigating and adding the addresses that you gave me of the AE8xx ecu. Very good and complete software. But anyway the ECUedit is being more useful to me to be able to compare the generated LOGS with the tables in real time on the pc.

Scott.T 11-04-2020 10:18 PM

Load is a figure calculated by the ECU code. It isnt a measured value from a sensor for example. It's a combination of things that the ECU uses in the calculation i.e MAP, MAF, Rpm etc. It doesn't really matter what it is as long as all axis that use it show it in the same scale.
I've always just converted it to decimal but it seems to be represented by g/rev.

viper1982 11-04-2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott.T (Post 252195)
Load is a figure calculated by the ECU code. It doesn't really matter what it is as long as all axis that use it show it in the same scale.
I've always just converted it to decimal but it seems to be represented by g/rev.

Understood thanks

Scott.T 11-04-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper1982 (Post 252196)
Understood thanks

Here you go, for a more detailed answer
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2708033

Scott.T 11-04-2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper1982 (Post 252196)
Understood thanks

On the MY2001/02 you can do a little trick with Load to increase the MAF capability.
There is a code/resolution limit of 300g/s for MAF scaling. When you run a bigger turbo you can run into this problem.
The MAF is capable of running more than 300g/s but you just cant scale it.

If you half all the g/s values in the MAF scaling then half all the Load Scale axis for every Map that uses Load (mainly fuel and ignition maps but there may be a few more I cant remember as it was over 10 years ago I did this last) you can trick it into running more than 300g/s.
Because 150g/s in the MAF scale will be equivalent to 300g/s

viper1982 12-04-2020 03:29 AM

Good data that you give about scaling the MAF if necessary. While I don't have a MY01 but it's nice to know.

These days I am looking to be able to make a record like the one you shared above, contrasting the log with the tables of "Base Timming" / "Base Timming + Hi Octane Ign. Advance" & AFR.

I want to do it to try to record the behavior of all the important variables and see how it is projected on these 3 maps. With the current configuration of my motor. I could never see it since I was able to connect to the car recently again since the cable I use had been damaged. I acquired a new one with a better, more stable chip and with this one I am doing everything lately.

To get a good record you can detail which parameters should be included when registering using ECUedit.

I was planning to use:

Engine RPM
Engine Load
Air flow sensor voltage
Ignition Timing
Knock Correction
IAM
Throttle
Manifold Relative Pressure
Primary Wastegate Duty Cycle

Am I missing something important?

I hope any recommendation you can make me. Cheers

Scott.T 12-04-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper1982 (Post 252199)
Good data that you give about scaling the MAF if necessary. While I don't have a MY01 but it's nice to know.

These days I am looking to be able to make a record like the one you shared above, contrasting the log with the tables of "Base Timming" / "Base Timming + Hi Octane Ign. Advance" & AFR.

I want to do it to try to record the behavior of all the important variables and see how it is projected on these 3 maps. With the current configuration of my motor. I could never see it since I was able to connect to the car recently again since the cable I use had been damaged. I acquired a new one with a better, more stable chip and with this one I am doing everything lately.

To get a good record you can detail which parameters should be included when registering using ECUedit.

I was planning to use:

Engine RPM
Engine Load
Air flow sensor voltage
Ignition Timing
Knock Correction
IAM
Throttle
Manifold Relative Pressure
Primary Wastegate Duty Cycle

Am I missing something important?

I hope any recommendation you can make me. Cheers

I'm not sure what parameters are available for logging with ECUEdit because I dont believe there was any support for it when I last used it.
I have just purchased a used Ae800 so I will have a play when it arrives.

Scott.T 12-04-2020 09:39 AM

Have you seen this :
http://www.ecutek.com.au/ecu-tuning/...ecu-comparison

Many years ago (probably about 2002) ECUTEK UK compared the MY99/0 with some interesting facts. This article though seems to go a bit further.

viper1982 12-04-2020 01:29 PM

That Ecutek article was one of those that made me want to read the ECU of my car, and even more after I got the ecu prodrive, with more reason my curiosity increased and it was that I started looking for information on how and what could I connect with. I could not not know what differences were in there between the ae800 and the Prodrive, my curiosity leads me to investigate. It is very interesting what Ecutek says, but it contrasts with reality since I know that in many countries they use the ae800 as an improvement to the ae802, you can read it in many forums.

Too good you got an AE800 ECU, you have fun with the old Jecs again.
Also, later it will be the one you send to edit ECUlabs.

Ecuedit It has very good possibilities of taking readings in these old ECUs, I use it with a VAGCOM KKL cable with the FTDI chip without problems, the connection is good, fast and stable. The cable is from the VAG group (volkswagen / audi / seat)

Then I send you a screenshot of the parameters that ecuedit reads in real time on the ecu jecs ae8xx.