South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Wheels,Tyres & Brakes (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Everyday road tyres (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=23896)

PalmerWRX 09-07-2020 06:56 PM

Everyday road tyres

Hi, going to replace all 4 tyres, they have lots of tread but they are starting to perish as I only cover 1500 miles a year.
It's been a long time since I have replaced tyres so what's a good brand and who should I stay away from.

Many thanks

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

BIG"E" 09-07-2020 07:22 PM

Tyre choice often comes down to budget and personal preferences.

I like either Goodyear Eagle f1s asymmetric 2s (if you still get them)

Or slightly better the Michelin pilot sport 4s

Steve_PPP 09-07-2020 07:47 PM

I'd go with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (not necessarily the S if its just a road car) or Goodyear Asymmetric 5.

The Assymetric 2's were a great tyre but I expect if you can find them it will be old stock, so if you're only doing 1500 miles a year and want the longest lifespan on rubber age rather than wear, i'd avoid.

If you want something more grippy (trade off against price and a bit more road noise) then the Michelin PS4S or Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport. You can't really go wrong with any of that lot for the money.

PalmerWRX 09-07-2020 08:42 PM

Many thanks, budgets not an issue, the car came with Avon's on which have loads of tread but have cracks appearing.
I will have a look for the Michelins or Goodyears.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

asperformance 10-07-2020 08:20 AM

probably not 'trendy' as some people reckon the sidewalls are too soft but I really like Rainsports for everyday road use...........might not be the ultimate on a red hot trackday but in our 'normal' pi&&y weather they grip like nothing else

Steve_PPP 10-07-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asperformance (Post 252708)
probably not 'trendy' as some people reckon the sidewalls are too soft but I really like Rainsports for everyday road use...........might not be the ultimate on a red hot trackday but in our 'normal' pi&&y weather they grip like nothing else

I've used the rainsport 3's on a couple of previous cars, must be perfect for those up north, eh Alyn? ;)

asperformance 10-07-2020 12:34 PM

yes the 3's.....spot on normally and take a bit of abuse without issue and even deal with the odd bit of snow if required

Ginola 10-07-2020 03:20 PM

I cant comment anymore I only have semi slicks! :?
Tho if I was buying for grip for the roads both wet and dry it would be PS4 all day long.

Anger 10-07-2020 05:16 PM

Another one for Rainsports

scotty 10-07-2020 06:13 PM

oh I can vouch for rainsports and how good they are also im now running Eagle f1 assy5 on the foz but I will probably go back to rainsport as I know how much I can push them in the rain lol .