South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Car / Scooby Chat (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Car insurance in France (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=23910)

Frenchie 12-08-2020 11:10 AM

Car insurance in France

Currently changing our car insurers so thought I would share a few facts about French car insurance and why we have alot less uninsured drivers. So in France it is the car which is insured, not the driver. Main driver is named, but other drivers can use the car with the same level of cover, although they usually have to be over 25 and held a full licence for at least 3 years. Insurance is on a rolling contract, so unless you change insurers,they have to officially notify your old company, or sell or scrap the vehicle, at which time you you will receive an official document which you have to forward to you insurance company, your insurance will automatically renew. So if you own a car it must be insured, even if it has been taken of the road. You also have to display a sticker on your windscreen showing details of you insurance.

scooby doo 12-08-2020 01:23 PM

Is it expensive insurance out there.?

SpecB 12-08-2020 03:09 PM

Makes a lot more sense than the UK system, far too many uninsured drivers over here!

Frenchie 12-08-2020 07:48 PM

Prices seem about the same, all fully comp policirs include recovery anywhere in Europe for accident or breakdown, no windscreen excess and if car is stolen or written of in the first 2 years you get your full purchase price back.

Moley_WRX 15-08-2020 04:18 PM

France doesn’t have the same issue with PI claims and hire car charges.
However, although not many people claim for injuries, they are able to claim up to 21 years after an accident (so I’m told) hence the prices aren’t cheaper

Frenchie 15-08-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 252920)
France doesn’t have the same issue with PI claims and hire car charges.
However, although not many people claim for injuries, they are able to claim up to 21 years after an accident (so I’m told) hence the prices aren’t cheaper

Haven't heard that, but will check with my assurance man and let you know.

Frenchie 15-08-2020 07:38 PM

Mind you France is gradually move into the 21st century, you used to have to give 12 months notice to change insurance companies and no one used email. Gradually you can do more and more by internet. Mind you we have just purchased a new car and transferred all our insurances to a new company and I reckon in the last 2 weeks I have spent 6 hours in garages and insurance office's.

Moley_WRX 15-08-2020 08:33 PM

One of the departments at work do a lot of ex-pat insurance, and apparently that’s the reason they can’t offer cover in France (again, not too sure how accurate that is, just what they tell me)

KarenWillis 25-09-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 252889)
Currently changing our car insurers so thought I would share a few facts about French car insurance and why we have alot less uninsured drivers. So in France it is the car which is insured, not the driver. Main driver is named, but other drivers can use the car with the same level of cover, although they usually have to be over 25 and held a full licence for at least 3 years. Insurance is on a rolling contract, so unless you change insurers,they have to officially notify your old company, or sell or scrap the vehicle, at which time you you will receive an official document which you have to forward to you insurance company, your insurance will automatically renew. So if you own a car it must be insured, even if it has been taken of the road. You also have to display a sticker on your windscreen showing details of you insurance.

Thank you soo much for your kind information:-D