South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Mechanics (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   a few oil and exhaust and running questions. (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=10826)

Panda 21-07-2011 11:59 PM

a few oil and exhaust and running questions.

Got a few questions for you knowledgeable people.

My scoobys gonna be needing its 60k service soon my little bros and mechanic so gonna be doing it for us just wondered if there was an oil you'd recommend im sure I see before castrol but which one the magnitech or the other good one also would you stick to the 5/30 or go use 5/40???

Right next one is has anyone got a diagram of a blobeye wrx exhaust system? My car has a ninjaII cat back fitted but when looking under the car it seems to missing a cat compared to wonkis bugeye. Just wondered if the blobeye had one there how many there are and where the others are?

And finally have noticed lastly when I let off the gas the revs rise ever so slightly thought this was me getting on the clutch before easing off but it does it with no clutch it rises around 300rpm with clutch and 100 rmp without is there a reason for this or is it just normal?

Cheers for your help.

Jolly Green Monster 22-07-2011 01:45 AM

make sure he primes the oil system..

scoobyworld always used to have a good exhaust diagram(s) on their website

Simon

asperformance 22-07-2011 08:45 PM

if its a UK car then as std you have basically a 4pce system.............

from the bak of the turbo you have the main downpipe cat, and then a secondary cat (sometimes replaced by a 1pce de-cat) you then have a centre section with a resonator (not a cat!!) and the b/box

as for oil then personally only ever use/supply Motul or Millers ester based full synth race oils..................deals for members

wonkey85 24-07-2011 04:28 PM

hi mate, cant comment on your issues cause im not sure, but you said the other night about the total impreza mag. i found it over at lakeside whsmiths thought id tell you might save a trip up town lol :)

Panda 27-07-2011 09:23 PM

Cheers for the reply's peeps most helpful as always thou one more little question from me. What do you mean by prime the oil system. Sorry of this is really dumb of me but I haven't got a clue what you mean or how to do it. I've have a look in my Handbook and it doesnt mention priming the oil system???
Cheers in advance.

pigSTi 28-07-2011 12:21 AM

With regards to your rev query, I looked into this once as I find mine take a fraction of a second to drop when I change gear, could be what you are interpreting as a slight rise? Have a look here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ow-drop-52933/ It looks like it's meant to happen? I read somewhere else that a mapper can take the thing out of the ECU program as well I think.

C. J. 28-07-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 97985)
Cheers for the reply's peeps most helpful as always thou one more little question from me. What do you mean by prime the oil system. Sorry of this is really dumb of me but I haven't got a clue what you mean or how to do it. I've have a look in my Handbook and it doesnt mention priming the oil system???
Cheers in advance.

after you have put the new oil in
Disconnect the cam sensor and crank it over till the oil light goes out
Then reconnect sensor and start the car

munk 28-07-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 97995)

how odd.have never heard anyone say this before?:oldman:? done many an oil change without doing this, does it depend on model? as i v never had this light come on?? also can i cause any complications if it comes on?? sorry for hijack:thanx:

C. J. 28-07-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munk (Post 97997)
how odd.have never heard anyone say this before?:oldman:? done many an oil change without doing this, does it depend on model? as i v never had this light come on?? also can i cause any complications if it comes on?? sorry for hijack:thanx:

By not doing it your starting your car with no oil in the system so for 5 secs your car would have had no oil on the bearings at upto 2000rpm rather than at 200 rpm odd that it cranks over on . Doesn't sound much 5 seconds but a lot of damage can be sone in that time . You should see you light every time you put the key in the ignition just before cranking ,other wise your should never see the oil light come on and If you do your more likely to have a f engine !

munk 28-07-2011 12:02 PM

I must have been very lucky up till now then?! 'll have to bear that I'n mind for next time then... Thanks cj:five:

Panda 28-07-2011 04:45 PM

No problem for the hijack munk you question made it a lot clearer and C.J cheers for the info never heard this before but it makes sense a good bit of advice.

Panda 01-08-2011 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigSTi (Post 97994)
With regards to your rev query, I looked into this once as I find mine take a fraction of a second to drop when I change gear, could be what you are interpreting as a slight rise? Have a look here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ow-drop-52933/ It looks like it's meant to happen? I read somewhere else that a mapper can take the thing out of the ECU program as well I think.

Didn't notice this reply until now.
Cheers fella most informative.

BIG"E" 01-08-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 97995)

I agree with the theory and practice of doing this.

But if you do this yourself at home you end up with the engine manage light stuck on, us less you have the reader device to cancel the code which then will logged in the ECU.

thepieman 01-08-2011 07:42 AM

The light will go out after cranking a few times after reconnection.

BIG"E" 01-08-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepieman (Post 98478)
The light will go out after cranking a few times after reconnection.

Mine doesn't.

C. J. 01-08-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 98477)
I agree with the theory and practice of doing this.

But if you do this yourself at home you end up with the engine manage light stuck on, us less you have the reader device to cancel the code which then will logged in the ECU.

never had this happen on mine or other poeples car

asperformance 02-08-2011 08:45 PM

if you are talking new-age then it "should" simply re-set after the car has been run once it realises there is no issue.................a classic doesn't show the light anyhows, both will log the code but will not effect anything