South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Wheels,Tyres & Brakes (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Brake pads and changing them! (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=15941)

Lucky 04-07-2013 01:02 PM

Brake pads and changing them!

Ok, I need to order some new pads for the wagon. Anyone any recommendations??. Guess they needn't be anything too special as eventually I want to change the brakes anyway, but for the moment it has 4 pots on the front with groved discs.

Also, how easy are these for me to change? Part of the idea of this car is for me to learn how to do basic stuff, so any words of wisom would be appreciated as I am a muppet when it comes to getting my hand dirty!!

Steve

rossmarts 04-07-2013 01:25 PM

I'll leave others with more classic/wagon knowledge to make recommendations.

Changing pads however (barring any unforeseen surprises) is pretty straightforward. I'm someone who is frequently referred to as 'mechanically inept' and simply provides tea when there is work to be done on a car. That said, I changed a set in under an hour with a completely inappropriate set of tools and little/no knowledge. My only words of wisdom would be 'copper slip'.

lupuss 04-07-2013 01:28 PM

It's pretty easy - even I can do it and I'm fairly muppet like too...
Top tip is to use one of those Quick-grip clamps to push the pistons back - works a treat.

As for recommendations I'll leave that to others - you'll get loads of different ones I'm sure.

J.

SpecB 04-07-2013 01:59 PM

Go for Godspeed kevlars if you want budget but quality

lupuss 04-07-2013 02:02 PM

yep second that - makes good replacement grooved disks too...

Steve_PPP 04-07-2013 04:01 PM

I'm pretty crap with the spanners but i've done discs and pads myself too. Welcome to pop up if you want a hand mate, got a big tub of copper grease that will last me about 50 years at the rate i'm using it :)

majorscooby 04-07-2013 05:13 PM

I'd love to help you out Steve as ive done all mine myself but I'm tight on family vs scoob time at the mo what with the new baby turning up soon!

Godspeed grooved discs are what I have and there great.

555_Si 04-07-2013 06:56 PM

i'll have a look at my old 4 pots in the garage tomorrow to see how they are done.

You might need to take calipers off with the two mounting bolts, if so make sure you put a spot of thread lock on when you do them back up.

Brembos are a "race" design and you can just take a pin out and pop the pads out, not sure if the 4 pots are like that.

I use PF pads in the Brembos, but more of a fast road/track pad and I don't think you can get them for the 4 pots, not sure.

Any good quality make like Mintex, Ferrodo should be good, unless you drive fast, then go for a performance pad.

Happily give you a hand doing them. I have wind back tool and other stuff, though with 4 pots you're better off using other ways of getting pots back in, wind back tool best for 1 or 2 pots.

majorscooby 04-07-2013 08:09 PM

Standard 4 pots are the same Si, just two pins out and the sprung plate thingy and they come out.

Lucky 04-07-2013 08:14 PM

Ok guys, cheers. I will get some ordered from Alyn and then give them a go. Thanks for the offers, I may take you up on it at some point!!!. I need to get them on before the Barcombe meet as I dont think it will stop once I get past lewes:lol:

impreza27 04-07-2013 09:11 PM

just take out the two pins pop out old and put new pads in godspeed kevlar pads are good that's what ive got in mine mate always happy to help one evening or a weekend mate.

Scott.T 04-07-2013 10:05 PM

Easiest car in the world to change pads.
It takes longer to jack the car up and get the wheel off.

majorscooby 04-07-2013 10:11 PM

1. Jack it up wheel off obviously.

2. Open bonnet and remove brake resi cap
3. Remove wire spring on back of caliper that stops the two pins from sliding out note the angle of the hole for this wire spring!
4. Remove both pins then sprung anti rattle plate
5. Wiggle out old pads noting posistion of anti rattle shims ( if there are any in there ) most people leave them out. Worth cleaning them up if they are there.
6. Personally I would unbolt caliper from the hub next from the back ( two bolts ) and give all the surfaces the pads slide and rest against a good brush out and a clean with brake cleaner.
7. Push the pistons back with quick grips ( best tool invented ) but watch the brake fluid resi pot in the engine bay just incase the fluid over spills!!!. Remove excess if over max fill line. I use a syringe.
8. May as well take disc off and inspect or replace whilst caliper is off.
9. If replacing disc make sure the hub face the disc pushes against is spotless and clean!
10. Replace disc and bolt caliper back on, drop of thread lock is all ways good.
11. Tiny bit of copper grease on the small areas where the brake pads seat in the caliper
12. A smear of copper grease on the back of the new pads and inbetween each anti rattle shim ( not to much ).
13. Slide in new pads
14. Push in bottom pin noting angle of tiny hole in the pin end for the wire retainer spring.
15. Reposition spring plate , bottom first under the pin then push in and insert top pin.
16. Slot in wire retainer into both pins and tuck the middle part back into the caliper.
17. Check there's no greasy finger prints on the disc, clean off with brake cleaner if there is.
18. Repeat the other side
19. Make sure everything is tight ( I like to double check my work )
20. Replace resi cap
21. Pump brake pedal till it feels firm, wheels on and slow test drive.

Hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs and please anybody add or call me a numpty if I have forgotten some info ( typing from my arm chair and memory )

Lucky 06-07-2013 11:46 AM

Thanks guys and thanks to Rich for typing that lot out!!. Big help mate.

Ordered Mintex pads today from Alyn (what a helpful guy) so they should do me fine unitl I generally upgrade the brakes later in the year/early next.

Lucky 06-07-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impreza27 (Post 166346)
just take out the two pins pop out old and put new pads in godspeed kevlar pads are good that's what ive got in mine mate always happy to help one evening or a weekend mate.

Cheers dude. Might take you up on that at some point. :ok:

impreza27 06-07-2013 04:18 PM

That's cool mate just give us a text or something