South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Engine Management (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   TMIC (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=15787)

ajelliott 14-06-2013 10:42 PM

TMIC

Could anyone dish out some advice regarding tmic.

ive had a good long think about changing my tmic to a fmic. however ive been told by a few people to forget the idea of the fm because it takes 3x longer to fill with air because the fm is much bigger and has longer to travel.

so i have come up with the decision to upgrade my tm but not 100% which 1 to go for?

andy-m 15-06-2013 09:08 AM

FMIC is supposed to suffer turbo lag more than a TMIC but I think I heard that problem can be negated a little with a good remap. JGM will know if I just imagined it or not lol

Steve_PPP 15-06-2013 09:30 AM

What other mods are you doing to the engine? Unless you're going over 350bhp i personally wouldn't add a fmic, will add more lag and just isn't needed at the lower end of the power range. I know Dyney was running a newage wrx tmic on his classic several years ago, and that was running 350ish i think.

ajelliott 15-06-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 164445)
What other mods are you doing to the engine? Unless you're going over 350bhp i personally wouldn't add a fmic, will add more lag and just isn't needed at the lower end of the power range. I know Dyney was running a newage wrx tmic on his classic several years ago, and that was running 350ish i think.

Other mods are hks cone filter, dump valve, s/s hks exhaust from down pipe to back box straight through pipe. At the moment. Eventually id like to get the td05 20g turbo and mappable ecu. Id like to teach 320bhp sensibly or there abouts

Lucky 15-06-2013 10:20 AM

In which case I wouldn't worry about a front mount. Maybe a few nice handling mods instead?? A 320bhp classic with good handling mods will make for a very quick road car.

ajelliott 15-06-2013 10:48 AM

Lucky? At the moment im just looking at getting to 320bhp but what mods would you recommend for handling?

Lucky 15-06-2013 11:06 AM

Depends on what you have at the moment, but a good suspension set up and front and rear ARB's (which arent too expensive) will transform it. Its not all about stright line speed. Around the ring some of the quickest cars, where not neccessarily the most powerful (ay StevePPP!!!)

320ish is a nice figure for a classic. Its where I want to end up with the wagon, but with well sorted handling and brakes. Its like everything mate, you can spend a fortune but there are some good components out there for reasonable prices. Scott (Silversurfer) would be a good person to advise you on suspension etc as he has tried various set ups.

555_Si 15-06-2013 12:08 PM

i may have my newage tmic for sale soon as i'm going for more power so going fmic.

ajelliott 15-06-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 164469)
Depends on what you have at the moment, but a good suspension set up and front and rear ARB's (which arent too expensive) will transform it. Its not all about stright line speed. Around the ring some of the quickest cars, where not neccessarily the most powerful (ay StevePPP!!!)

320ish is a nice figure for a classic. Its where I want to end up with the wagon, but with well sorted handling and brakes. Its like everything mate, you can spend a fortune but there are some good components out there for reasonable prices. Scott (Silversurfer) would be a good person to advise you on suspension etc as he has tried various set ups.

Thanks a lot. Ive got some thinking to do. And I'll get in touch with Scott later.
Wagon si. Will it fit my classic and how much? Thanks

asperformance 15-06-2013 12:42 PM

you'll not need a 20g either for 320ish..............

ajelliott 15-06-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asperformance (Post 164485)
you'll not need a 20g either for 320ish..............

Will the 16g do 320 comfortably then?

555_Si 15-06-2013 02:22 PM

not sure if straight fit or need slight mod to fit, i have spare brackets so they can be modded. Others can hopefully advise.

Price, we can talk as i need to see how much i paid for it, i have only had it on my car since begin May i think. My project seems to be quite fast moving at moment, when i am in the country. will be back in a couple of weeks as off on business again Monday.

Steve_PPP 15-06-2013 04:14 PM

Newage STI tmics can be fitted to classics but are a very tight fit i think (more so on the earlier slanty tmic cars i think).

I'm got a newage wrx tmic for sale as well (smaller than the STI one) but might be better than the classic one you have already, depends whats on your car already really. Don't want much for it, £30?

ajelliott 15-06-2013 06:00 PM

At the moment Steve ppp my car has the standard 2000 tmic

Ginola 15-06-2013 07:03 PM

If you fit a "newage" STI tmic, and a decent late series VF turbo will make for a very nice classic, VF34,35,43 or 48 with a decent exhaust system should see 320/330bhp nicely and keep some decent spool up very little lag etc.

I had an FMIC on my classic, but I did not suffer badly from lag, as others on here will tell you.. however it is good few hours of fitting and cutting your front bumper up to squeeze in.

The classic STI top mount is rather limited compared to the newage ones (newage ones good for circa 400bhp, classic ones a lot less)

As Steve says above they do fit, you need to "modify" a bracket or 2.

Fit some decent brakes you will be going a lot quicker :)

ajelliott 15-06-2013 07:24 PM

Ginola? could you recommend a set of brakes that would slow me down nicely nothing jumpy or instant unless necessary.

Steve ppp? would this tmic be a good start or should i hold out untill the sti tm comes up?

555_Si 15-06-2013 07:39 PM

my Hawkeye STI top mount (I think slightly better than earlier Newage STI as it has only one silicon pipe on it instead of two, still same fitment) with brackets and oem silicon pipe would be £150 in two weeks time, I paid more for this, and others are advertised at more, mine is in good condition. Only selling due to next stage of upgrades.