South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Engine Management (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   2 Map settings (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=7186)

Tyler 18-02-2011 01:57 PM

2 Map settings

Just seen a thread from another user which reminded me of another question i have been wanting to ask for some time but keep forgetting...

I have a Simtek ecu and it allows you to have 2 maps. Is it possible to have the second map for better fuel econemy, or are the the map's only able to change boost levels??

And also when you have a switch installed for the maps can you only change the maps before car is started up or can you change whilst engine is on??

Wanted to ask you guys first before i ask Simon as i bug him a lot as it is..

worzel 18-02-2011 02:15 PM

As far as I am aware, you can have them mapped exactly how you want them.

For instance, I have my best power map, an anti lag map, and a **** fuel map.

The last one lets me get away with running on **** fuel when abroad with much less power / boost. So in effect, that map gives me what you are after really.

:ok:

Anger 18-02-2011 02:31 PM

Yep i normally have the same but instead of antilag map i have high boost, lower boost and a **** fuel map, but i carry octaine booster with me abroad aswell

worzel 18-02-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anger (Post 75441)
but i carry octaine booster with me abroad aswell

Same as mate, you just can't be too careful.

Now theres a point........ I wonder if we can sort a bulk buy for the Germany trip? Even if we only bought 4 bottles each you are looking at 48 bottles or there abouts!

Worth a thought :nod:

In fact, a post is going in the ring zone! :ok:

stiggy 18-02-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 75442)
In fact, a post is going in the ring zone! :ok:

Tyler's sitting here moaning that your hijacking his thread.... Now he's calling me a grass... ha ha ha

Anger 18-02-2011 02:37 PM

I might need a few more stops this year, ive been to dartford, Epsom and Cobham.... 80 quid in fuel gone

worzel 18-02-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anger (Post 75445)
I might need a few more stops this year, ive been to dartford, Epsom and Cobham.... 80 quid in fuel gone

Ouch! :doh:

worzel 18-02-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiggy (Post 75444)
Tyler's sitting here moaning that your hijacking his thread.... Now he's calling me a grass... ha ha ha

Sorry Tyler, we thought seeing as we had answered your question we could do it legit! :wink:

:getmecoat:

Anger 18-02-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiggy (Post 75444)

He should know by now that mods are aloud to do this ;)

Oh and he should slow down when driving in beddington lane lol

worzel 18-02-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anger (Post 75451)

Mods rooooool OK! :ok:

stiggy 18-02-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 75450)
Sorry Tyler, we thought seeing as we had answered your question we could do it legit! :wink:

:getmecoat:

He said do you know if the map can be changed while the engine is running?? :ok:

stiggy 18-02-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anger (Post 75451)

He said sorry and what does slow mean???

Anger 18-02-2011 02:46 PM

He didnt even spot me, he was going that fast

Depends if its on a switch or he does it with the peddles i guess

worzel 18-02-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiggy (Post 75455)
He said do you know if the map can be changed while the engine is running?? :ok:

You can at idle if you have it on a switch :ok:

stiggy 18-02-2011 02:50 PM

He said he was in a rush to get to the petrol station... I say if he slowed down he wouldn't need to go there so much :getmecoat:

It's with the peddle mate

Anger 18-02-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiggy (Post 75461)
He said he was in a rush to get to the petrol station... I say if he slowed down he wouldn't need to go there so much :getmecoat:

It's with the peddle mate

Engines off then to change maps

Tyler 18-02-2011 03:17 PM

Worzel.....Anger... Ignore Stiggy he's an arse!!!! :lol:

Cheers guys for the info just need to get the switch sorted and the map done as well..

Am i right in saying that even if car is mapped for fuel econemy on second map, it doesn't matter if you still have V-power in the tank?? And that the only time it would cause an issue is if the car is on performance map and has crap fuel in... If that makes sense....??

Anger 18-02-2011 03:19 PM

Yep thats right

Tyler 18-02-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anger (Post 75466)
Yep thats right

Sweet cheers James....

Off subject hows the car?? And when did you see me on beddington??

Anger 18-02-2011 04:26 PM

Stupid quick for the road... pulled up at the lights for the mad mile Belmont and a M3 pulled up next to me revving his engine lol next thing i knew he was a dot in my rear mirror :D

Cant remember what day it was but i was in my car, was at the roundabout

Tyler 18-02-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anger (Post 75483)
Stupid quick for the road... pulled up at the lights for the mad mile Belmont and a M3 pulled up next to me revving his engine lol next thing i knew he was a dot in my rear mirror :D

Cant remember what day it was but i was in my car, was at the roundabout

Lol, funny you say that, there seems to be a hell of a lot of M3 e46's round our area now, and they all seem to love reving there engines at lights...

Are you sure it was me as there is another scoob pretty much exactly the same as mine local... Im sure i would of noticed you in you're white beast!!!

Anger 18-02-2011 04:51 PM

Same lights and same cold air hole in bumper :)

Tyler 18-02-2011 04:54 PM

That would be me then... :lol: The other car doesnt have the cold air feed...

Scott.T 18-02-2011 06:00 PM

Despite what some people say/think there is no such thing as an economy map. The economy is controlled by 'YOUR RIGHT FOOT'.

When driving around off boost or very light boost the ECU will run stoich mixture and attempt to achieve a perfect burn of 14.7AFR. The ECU will run this regardless of boost settings/targets in the map or overall top end fuelling/power levels.

The only way to be more economical is to run less boost, but if your hitting any more then 0.8bar boost your not driving very economically anyway.

Best bet as the guys above have said is to run a good map and a poor fuel map i.e set it to run on 95RON.

Anger 18-02-2011 06:03 PM

Ecomony map.... 95Ron....

Scott.T 18-02-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anger (Post 75505)
Ecomony map.... 95Ron....

It will probably be less economincal on 95RON then 97RON+ due to a less efficient burn.
in the early days of unleaded, the Old Cossies uses to have higher MPG when the timing was adjusted for 95RON then they did set to run 97RON. The pennies saved at the pump where wasted on poor Mpg.

Anger 18-02-2011 06:27 PM

Simon had no probs mapping the Gimps on 95 ron and he seams to think hes getting an extra 50ish miles from a tank

Tyler 19-02-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 75503)
Despite what some people say/think there is no such thing as an economy map. The economy is controlled by 'YOUR RIGHT FOOT'.

When driving around off boost or very light boost the ECU will run stoich mixture and attempt to achieve a perfect burn of 14.7AFR. The ECU will run this regardless of boost settings/targets in the map or overall top end fuelling/power levels.

The only way to be more economical is to run less boost, but if your hitting any more then 0.8bar boost your not driving very economically anyway.

Best bet as the guys above have said is to run a good map and a poor fuel map i.e set it to run on 95RON.

Sorry when i said econemy i ment for car to be mapped on 95ron....

Thanks for the info buddy... :D