South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Mechanics (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   5 speed box (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=23634)

HYDROSCOBY 12-06-2019 07:56 AM

5 speed box

Hi all,

as some of you in the group are aware my car likes to eat gearboxes and on my 4th box now with no 3rd gear. Do any of you run uprated internals on the 5 speed? i have found a few companys that offer stronger gears but has anyone done this or know of a trusted company to do this work?

i dont want the 6 speed as the ratio is to close and always gearing.

any advice or info will be much appreciated, many thanks

asperformance 12-06-2019 09:09 AM

you must be fairly aggressive to have 'lost' 4 3rd gears?? what kind of power / spec are you running??

in general the 5spd doesn't like aggressive down shifts where you are using the box to slow the car

ratios all depend on which of the 6spds you actually look at but personally this will be the cheapest option i suspect

Rdlangy1 12-06-2019 09:44 AM

RM performance in Banbury will sort you out :ok:

HYDROSCOBY 12-06-2019 05:11 PM

i dont think i am that aggressive but maybe lol. running around 330bhp. the previous owner had changed the gearbox and then when i got the car of him 4th gear syncro worn out or something as i kept popping out of gear, so i got another box and then on route to the ring for my 3rd lap, when 3rd gear went. suspected that water was in the box from the guy i got it of, after seeing the gearbox oil and fellow SES members agree that water might of been mixed and so this maybe the problem that caused that box to give up.

HYDROSCOBY 12-06-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 (Post 249746)
RM performance in Banbury will sort you out :ok:

thank i will give them a call and see what the best options are for me :thanx:

Rdlangy1 12-06-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HYDROSCOBY (Post 249757)
thank i will give them a call and see what the best options are for me :thanx:

Ask for Tom :ok:

HYDROSCOBY 12-06-2019 05:14 PM

wil ldo mate, is that who done your box then?

Rdlangy1 12-06-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HYDROSCOBY (Post 249759)
wil ldo mate, is that who done your box then?

Yeah rebuild on my 6-speed including updated baulk rings etc

They can do anything from a simple oem rebuild to a full fully sequential conversion :ok:

Say I sent you (Ryan Langworthy from SouthEastScoobies) - might help..................or they might remember me and put the price up :lol:

HYDROSCOBY 12-06-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 (Post 249760)
Yeah rebuild on my 6-speed including updated baulk rings etc

They can do anything from a simple oem rebuild to a full fully sequential conversion :ok:

Say I sent you (Ryan Langworthy from SouthEastScoobies) - might help..................or they might remember me and put the price up :lol:

haha ok i will do mate, many thanks

scooby doo 12-06-2019 06:35 PM

Agree with alyn best to look up 6speed ratios the forester using very similar ratio’s and generally they are built proof.
The hawk wrx was meant to have the stronger stock 5speed in one of them but longer ratio being 2.5.
Personally for me . I hate the long uk final drives, just takes forever to get the motor spinning and up to speed plus mine doesn’t really see motorways . I’m tempted to source a jdm legacy 4.11 ratio in .
You may have just been unlucky and had worn boxes to start with plenty of folks see 330hp issue free.

HYDROSCOBY 12-06-2019 07:25 PM

maybe i will end up going 6 speed but just not feeling like thats a route i want to go down to be honest. i will speak to a few company's and see what i want to end up with. cost wont isn't a problem and dont want to just do the cheapest option.

scooby doo 12-06-2019 09:14 PM

The box braces people say don’t work either .
6speed is the best option I’ve heard stronger than a Ppg gear set,
The hawkeye box could be a good fair price option as a lot of guys with mapped wrx hawks pulling big torque and showing the box holding up to it.

Ppg gear sets start from last time i looked 2k plus fitting .
6speed some allow use of your rear diff and you can use your clutch and flywheel if new ish so can be done for around £1500 which isn’t to bad for further proofing
Worth noting to buy the later blob onwards for better synchros the very easily ones have a weaker set so eventually start to
Catch at high rpm especially going into 4th. My bugeye Sti had to be done

HYDROSCOBY 12-06-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby doo (Post 249765)
The box braces people say don’t work either .
6speed is the best option I’ve heard stronger than a Ppg gear set,
The hawkeye box could be a good fair price option as a lot of guys with mapped wrx hawks pulling big torque and showing the box holding up to it.

Ppg gear sets start from last time i looked 2k plus fitting .
6speed some allow use of your rear diff and you can use your clutch and flywheel if new ish so can be done for around £1500 which isn’t to bad for further proofing
Worth noting to buy the later blob onwards for better synchros the very easily ones have a weaker set so eventually start to
Catch at high rpm especially going into 4th. My bugeye Sti had to be done

thank you so much for the info mate. i will let you know what the future build involves. i dont want to just buy a car with it done and i want to keep the current car to be honest. the buyeye will be built for track days use and not for the road use, but it will be road legal still. im not chasing bhp and happy at the 330bhp, i just want a stonger than the standard box just for peace of mind more than anything.

asperformance 13-06-2019 09:20 AM

in that case it sounds like you were very unlucky...............

with any s/hand unit the first thing i would do is to drain any fluid and then it instantly gives you an indication of potential issues or problems...........

HYDROSCOBY 13-06-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asperformance (Post 249767)

with any s/hand unit the first thing i would do is to drain any fluid and then it instantly gives you an indication of potential issues or problems...........

yeah i have learnt the hard way on that one. if i ever get a secound hand box again or anything i know to flush it out ect.

BIG"E" 13-06-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asperformance (Post 249767)

This one looked like someone had filled it with cream :lol:

munk 19-06-2019 06:25 AM

6 speed for sure !!:-D

HYDROSCOBY 19-06-2019 03:48 PM

i really dont fancy having a 6 speed or a sti thou to be honest.

scooby doo 19-06-2019 07:19 PM

Have you had any joy on a replacement

HYDROSCOBY 19-06-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby doo (Post 249785)
Have you had any joy on a replacement

not yet but just saving up then go from there mate. i am still using the car after flushing the pieces out. just missing 3rd of lol:-D

scooby doo 19-06-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HYDROSCOBY (Post 249786)
not yet but just saving up then go from there mate. i am still using the car after flushing the pieces out. just missing 3rd of lol:-D

Fair enough ,

555_Si 22-06-2019 04:42 PM

I had my wrx bug wagon running similiar power and the 5 speed held out. I still have the box here if you need one.

HYDROSCOBY 05-08-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 555_Si (Post 249796)
I had my wrx bug wagon running similiar power and the 5 speed held out. I still have the box here if you need one.

Pm sent

Does anyone have a 5speed for a bugeye. Be a while before I can get it forged yet :cry:

HYDROSCOBY 06-08-2019 10:11 AM

Update. Got a new box now and just got to fit it in the next couple of weeks. It will only be a temporary until new uprated box is sorted

555_Si 07-08-2019 12:21 AM

Sorry mate been really busy and hadn’t got round to seeing what code mine was.

HYDROSCOBY 07-08-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 555_Si (Post 250229)
Sorry mate been really busy and hadn’t got round to seeing what code mine was.

That's OK mate, I am trying my luck with another box and I'm going to attempt splitting the two bad boxes. looks interesting inside plus I want to have a god look inside a gearbox

HYDROSCOBY 20-09-2019 09:27 AM

This is what my 3rd gear looks like after water contamination + the ring trip did. Output shaft has been totally gone, ouchhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...90638f010f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5861ce3cff.jpg

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk