South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Car / Scooby Chat (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Worth the effort? (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=23993)

Big Kas 23-02-2021 01:53 AM

Worth the effort?

Hi all,

So there's the possibility I may be able to get a 2012 STI rolling shell for scrap value or maybe free from a very good friend who has no space for it.

However I'm wondering if it would even be worth botheringg with it and getting an engine and box fitted? The gearbox/engine/wiring/cooling/pipes etc.. have all been removed and I'm thinking the cost of all the little bits and pieces as well as a complete engine and gearbox and labour would it be more sensible just to buy a 2012 STI ?

I'm quite familiar with the prices of rebuilds and repairs etc... But have no idea what something like this could end up costing??? The main thing drawing me to it is the lovely purple colour of the shell haha

Frenchie 23-02-2021 05:48 PM

I'am certainly no expert,but I spent a lot of money turning a WRX into an STI, dread to think how much I spent. Then I just brought a brand new STi. Mind you I'am no mechanic, good luck with whatever you decide.

HYDROSCOBY 24-02-2021 04:12 PM

I'm looking for a new shell as mine need sills and rear arches doing, thought it might be easier to get a new shell and then get a cage welded in. Then put all my stuff in the new shell. Everything has to come out anyway for the cage lol

asperformance 25-02-2021 11:06 AM

ultimately why is it just a 'shell' and how cheap is it once you start to add all of the parts required??
if you can do the work (some of ??) yourself then it can be very cost effective but would guess if your having to pay someone else to complete then its likely not realistic??

Steve_PPP 25-02-2021 11:31 AM

What would you do with the car afterwards? If you were building it to a track car, caging it etc then it probably makes sense.

If you want to make it a standard road car, then i personallyh can't see it being worth the effort - the time and money sucked up in dash, full interior etc will probably be too high.

Banstead Stig 25-02-2021 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asperformance (Post 253585)
ultimately why is it just a 'shell' and how cheap is it once you start to add all of the parts required??
if you can do the work (some of ??) yourself then it can be very cost effective but would guess if your having to pay someone else to complete then its likely not realistic??

That's what I was thinking.

Labour to completely fit it out would be a killer!

Big Kas 26-02-2021 11:18 AM

Thanks for all your replies. Yes considering everything I've decided to leave it be. I wouldn't have enough space or time to do the work myself and paying someone else would mean by the end of it I might as well have gone and bought a straight 2012 STI. I agree for a track day car it would be perfect as you don't need interior or even matching year engine/boxes/ecu etc.. but as I wanted it for road usage I feel it's best to save up and buy a straight car instead (one day haha) .