South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Mechanics (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Exhaust Advice (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=7786)

rossmarts 02-04-2011 11:07 PM

Exhaust Advice

Hi all,

I currently have a Hawkeye with the PPP and I am thinking about changing the exhaust.

Can't really go for a decat for MOT reasons but I would like something that has a bit more of that 'Subaru' sound and that has a minor power benefit or at least keeps it as it is.

At the same time I need to keep the noise level under 98db at 3/4 RPM due to noise restrictions at sprint events.

I have had a bit of a search but given the noise restriction I am not really sure what my options may be.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
R

SpecB 03-04-2011 06:53 AM

Miltek? Pricey but quiet.

Lucky 03-04-2011 09:08 AM

I changed only the resonated pipe and back box and that released alot more of the flat 4 noise, but I think I will soon be replacing the 2nd cat pipe as that also seems to make a difference. I am currently running an afterburner vortex back box which is great, but thinking of changing it shortly for a blitz nur spec :whistle:

Hongkongfooi 03-04-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 82119)
I changed only the resonated pipe and back box and that released alot more of the flat 4 noise, but I think I will soon be replacing the 2nd cat pipe as that also seems to make a difference. I am currently running an afterburner vortex back box which is great, but thinking of changing it shortly for a blitz nur spec :whistle:

chav:rofl:

asperformance 03-04-2011 10:56 AM

the NUR spec make noise but haven't personally found them very good power wise (and you would struggle with the car at Sprints!!)........
you'd be better off with a Milltek IMO

Anger 03-04-2011 11:23 AM

Another vote for Milltek

admin 03-04-2011 12:25 PM

Have had the afterburner vortex before and is a great backbox for the money:10:

Would go for a Milltek system if I was looking to purchase though:nod:

666subaru 03-04-2011 03:32 PM

If you dont mind travelling give Pete a bell at www.exhaustsuk.com

They are based in Sheffield and are at the present moment working along side Subaru uk.

rossmarts 04-04-2011 09:09 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, definitely worth looking into some of these suggestions.

I will be keeping clear of the Nur Spec R. I had a Nur Spec NA on a Civic Type R a few years back which looked great and sounded good, but by all accounts was nothing compared to the sound made with a Nur Spec R on a Subaru. If what I have heard is true then passing noise tests is going to be an issue.

I have had a quick look on the Milltek site but it doesnt seem to be working properly at present so I cant use their dealer locator or find out how much they might cost. When you say expensive, do any of you know a ballpark figure at all?

Exhausts.co.uk also looks like a great shout so I may well try and give them a bell this afternoon.

I got noise tested at a sprint yesterday and made 77db which on the plus side is well below any noise restrictions I am aware of. On the down side, the MSA steward commented that it was the quietest Subaru he had ever heard and I couldn't help but feel a little deflated!

Hongkongfooi 04-04-2011 10:01 AM

think my decat milltek was £600 new:???:

asperformance 04-04-2011 11:26 AM

let me know exact age and model and we can help out.........

rossmarts 04-04-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asperformance (Post 82278)
let me know exact age and model and we can help out.........

07 Hawkeye WRX STi UK Spec. with PPP.

Hongkongfooi 04-04-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossmarts (Post 82280)

Were you in crow borough by any chance yesterday evening?

Scott.T 04-04-2011 12:46 PM

MILTEK Cat Back £329 from Scoobyworld
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1832

Quite good value, considering you can pay £318 just for a Hayward and Scoot BackBox.

Scott.T 04-04-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossmarts (Post 82280)

Snap....

rossmarts 04-04-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi (Post 82284)
Were you in crow borough by any chance yesterday evening?

Yeah I did pass through. All I could think about eating for dinner was a dirty kebab so made a quick call into Sancho's before heading home.

asperformance 04-04-2011 05:51 PM

RRP for the 2.75" cat back is only £335.72inc. anyhows or £398.80inc. with resonated centre section (less the SES deal LOL)

or if you want a true 3" cat-back system that Retails at £459.02inc.

Scott.T 04-04-2011 07:52 PM

Hi Alyn,

Thanks for chipping in on this thread.

To confirm your prices are :
£335 for 2.75"" Cat Back, un-resonated
£398 for 2.75 Cat Back, resonated
£459 for 3" cat-back

Are these from the downpipe cat i.e they delete the centre cat ?

Does the 3" cat back bolt straight on to the original cat pipe or do you need the matching 3" cat (or decat) downpipe.

Cheers

asperformance 05-04-2011 09:24 AM

nope those are simplt the std RETAIL prices............we do members deals off that cost

and yes they are based on centre and b/box - 3" can fit no problem but better if your planning matching d/pipe at some point, otherwise stick with 2.75"

C. J. 05-04-2011 09:44 AM

http://www.revolution247.com/exhaust...e-79037-0.html

666subaru 05-04-2011 10:24 AM

You are better going to see Pete as he is cheaper and better quality in my opinion, here is the link for your specific car buddy.

http://www.cobrasport.com/exhaust/Su...1/0/0#products

rossmarts 05-04-2011 11:16 AM

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. I had a good chat with Alyn at ASPerformance this morning and as a result have a Milltek system on the way along with a set of PF brake pads as per another thread of mine. That is my weekend all planned out then.

Hongkongfooi 05-04-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossmarts (Post 82395)
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. I had a good chat with Alyn at ASPerformance this morning and as a result have a Milltek system on the way along with a set of PF brake pads as per another thread of mine. That is my weekend all planned out then.

good choice all round then:more:

Scott.T 05-04-2011 01:12 PM

Good choice, what MILTEK option did you go for in the end ??

rossmarts 05-04-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 82414)
Good choice, what MILTEK option did you go for in the end ??

2.75" unresonated with a 4" tailpipe. Looking forward to getting it changed, already feels like the weekend is going to take a long time to come around this week.

admin 05-04-2011 01:19 PM

Good to hear Alyn sorted you out:10:

I agree the Milltek was the way forwards:drive:

rossmarts 11-04-2011 10:53 AM

Changed the exhaust on Saturday and it is a massive improvement. Has the flat four sound now without being too anti-social. Seems like a great bit of kit so thanks for the recommendations and thanks again to Alyn for sorting it out.

Did run into one small bit of bother during fitting however. The bolt holes on the cat were much smaller than those on the new system so we had to drill them out in order to make it fit. Not a huge job but the flange was seriously hard steel so took quite a bit of drilling in order to get through. Thought it was at least worth mentioning in case anyone else is thinking about going for the same system.

SpecB 11-04-2011 01:18 PM

Alyn - I have the Litchfield/Powerstation Milltek 3' on mine, what can you do in way of a Resonated centre section to replace the sports cat version I have on at present?

asperformance 12-04-2011 01:47 PM

resonated centre is std on the Milltek 3" option.......... RRP is £173.26inc.
deal to be done :mrgreen:

Lucky 12-04-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossmarts (Post 82971)
Changed the exhaust on Saturday and it is a massive improvement. Has the flat four sound now without being too anti-social. Seems like a great bit of kit so thanks for the recommendations and thanks again to Alyn for sorting it out.

Did run into one small bit of bother during fitting however. The bolt holes on the cat were much smaller than those on the new system so we had to drill them out in order to make it fit. Not a huge job but the flange was seriously hard steel so took quite a bit of drilling in order to get through. Thought it was at least worth mentioning in case anyone else is thinking about going for the same system.

So, did you remove the second cat doing this?, if so, does it need a remap??. Only asking as seriously thinking of doing the same at some point and the Miltek sounds the way forward. I am thinking by removing the second cat it may also release more of the burble, as I seem to get more engine noise from the front.

rossmarts 12-04-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 83122)
So, did you remove the second cat doing this?, if so, does it need a remap??. Only asking as seriously thinking of doing the same at some point and the Miltek sounds the way forward. I am thinking by removing the second cat it may also release more of the burble, as I seem to get more engine noise from the front.

My understanding is that it is a cat back system and as such the cat is still in place. Certainly what I am aware of as the cat is still there. I assumed the wider section on the center pipe was a resonator so hopefully someone can chime in and clear that up for certain.

As things stand it certainly sounds much better than before, but I really need to get back down to Surrey RR and have another run to see about any gains/losses and if necessary get a remap sorted as well.