South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Other Events (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   World Rallycross, Lydden Hill - Saturday 27th/Sunday 28th May (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=22602)

tbtstt 18-05-2017 12:47 PM

World Rallycross, Lydden Hill - Saturday 27th/Sunday 28th May

I can't see a thread for this, so I thought I'd pop one up!

Saturday 27th May and Sunday 28th May is the fifth Round of the World Rallycross Championship at Lydden. 600 BHP hatchbacks tearing round a track and trading paint in the process: why wouldn't you want to watch that? This is also the last time the World Championship will be at Lydden in the forseeable future, so even more of a reason to get there.

If you haven't been to Lydden before then its a great circuit to watch as you can pretty much see the whole circuit from any point on the track. Its just down the road from Dover; so to get there is only a quick blast down the M2 or M20 for most Surrey folk!

Lydden On Google Earth

Saturday will be the first sets of heats, with the remaining heats and the all important finals on Sunday!

Steve_PPP 18-05-2017 12:54 PM

Howcome its the last time the world championship cars are doing Lydden? Just competition from alternative venues?

tbtstt 18-05-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 237847)
Howcome its the last time the world championship cars are doing Lydden? Just competition from alternative venues?

Lydden have been promising major updates for a few years now and, for various reasons (specifically the locals) they haven't happened yet. I wonder if that's why the Championship are looking elsewhere... or perhaps it's just £ notes doing the talking!

The UK round will be at Silverstone next year. I certainly won't write the new venue off until I have seen the track, but as Silverstone is my least favourite circuit in the UK I'm not overly optimistic!

Bolesroor 18-05-2017 05:38 PM

Planning to go to this as I've not been to Lydden before and as you say 600 horses even my Liz won't be able to resist an equestrian event :wink:

Probably go on the Sunday :ok:

Scott.T 18-05-2017 06:15 PM

Not quite sure how spectators would see Rallycross on a flat airfield.
Silverstone is my least favourite track for watching races. Visibility is very limited and they just disappear over the horizon.

Lydden will be over crowded hence why I probably won't make this one.

Granby 18-05-2017 10:15 PM

I should be going to this :-)

tbtstt 19-05-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolesroor (Post 237852)
Probably go on the Sunday :ok:

There are a couple more races on the Saturday, but Sunday has all the finals so it's the best day to go! :doubleup:

If Belgium was anything to go by then I would expect some good finals at Lydden!