South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Wheels,Tyres & Brakes (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Help please. What is this? (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=20953)

Willowsdad 30-12-2015 01:37 PM

Help please. What is this?

As above, when inspecting the rear brakes I've found this is cracked. I can't find out what it is or what it does. So any ideas, and is it going to cause problems if I don't fix it right away? http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...37B9BFEC90.jpg
Thanks, Paul.

Banstead Stig 30-12-2015 01:42 PM

Looks like the ABS ring.

I'm no expert though!

Scott.T 30-12-2015 01:53 PM

Agree, looks like the ABS ring and it's about to loose a chunk. May of been damaged whilst trying to remove/leaver out old brake shoes.

It needs a repair or replace as it will cause ABS faults or even jam in the drum assembly if it falls off.

thepieman 30-12-2015 02:41 PM

If its still working ok, no abs light or anything..... give it a clean and stick it together with some epoxy putty

Dont use the putty on the notched side, just along the top bottom and back...

It only spins round for the sensor to read, no load or anything...... so repair the crack, saves removing all the hub etc etc and makes a cheap fix

Willowsdad 30-12-2015 02:57 PM

Cheers lads. I might've damage it knocking the old disc off I suppose. It was a bit of a pain to get off, and must've been catching on the shoes as it pulled the rusty retaining pins off. I'll have a look how much they are as my wheels won't be back till the 6th.

NL03Scooby 30-12-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowsdad (Post 217972)
Cheers lads. I might've damage it knocking the old disc off I suppose. It was a bit of a pain to get off, and must've been catching on the shoes as it pulled the rusty retaining pins off. I'll have a look how much they are as my wheels won't be back till the 6th.

Did you pop a screwdriver in the little 'window' round the back of the hub assembly? There is a rubber bung/grommet that covers access to the adjuster, it (the adjuster) can be moved with a bladed screwdriver and free off the shoes from the inside of the disk. Couldn't remove my disks until I did this but it's a right pain and very awkward, especially if you adjust it the wrong way!

Willowsdad 30-12-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NL03Scooby (Post 217973)
Did you pop a screwdriver in the little 'window' round the back of the hub assembly? There is a rubber bung/grommet that covers access to the adjuster, it (the adjuster) can be moved with a bladed screwdriver and free off the shoes from the inside of the disk. Couldn't remove my disks until I did this but it's a right pain and very awkward, especially if you adjust it the wrong way!

No I think that's where I went wrong. I just let the handbrake off and used 2 m8 bolts to push the disc off. Not sure how that damaged the abs ring though.

NL03Scooby 30-12-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowsdad (Post 217974)
No I think that's where I went wrong. I just let the handbrake off and used 2 m8 bolts to push the disc off. Not sure how that damaged the abs ring though.

I can only guess a lip on the inside of the disk pulled the shoes away with the disk in to the abs ring, the ring taking brunt of the force as the disk was forced off with the shoes caught up it?

asperformance 30-12-2015 08:37 PM

seen it many times and its the "tone" ring you have damaged by not releasing the h/brake adjuster..............

you need to split the hub and bearing to replace

Willowsdad 30-12-2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asperformance (Post 217978)
seen it many times and its the "tone" ring you have damaged by not releasing the h/brake adjuster..............

you need to split the hub and bearing to replace

Unfortunately I didn't research well enough before using the M8 bolt method to remove the disc. My own fault, but I like to learn by doing. I'll try some liquid metal tomorrow to see if that does the trick, if not it'll be a garage job once I have my wheels back. If I'd just stopped at doing the seals on the brakes it wouldn't have happened. Even there it seems like the pads were slightly too wide and jammed into the calliper, so the seals didn't need doing. Bloody garages.

Willowsdad 31-12-2015 03:49 PM

So when trying to fix the tone ring two pieces just fell off in my hand and I ended up with this.
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...DDF29A03A4.jpg
Oops! But with some adhesive, epoxy metal putty and some little modelling files I managed to get it to this.
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...D98FE49106.jpg
Now to my eye it looks bang on. So hopefully it'll hold together ok and be good enough for the sensor. That I won't find out till the wheels are back on. On the plus side my brakes are all finished and back on the car and just need bleeding.

Banstead Stig 31-12-2015 05:28 PM

Looks okay in the pic.

It's not a part under stress/load, so fingers' crossed it'll work for you.

Saves some faff if so!

BIG"E" 31-12-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banstead Stig (Post 217988)
It's not a part under stress/load,

I am not so sure but I am no expert, what about the centrifugal force?

I would not want to go even up to the speed limit, let alone going to somewhere like the Ring, which Willowsdad has mentioned an interest recently.

Willowsdad 31-12-2015 07:54 PM

It's pretty well stuck together. I'm more worried about the readings the abs will get if its not exactly as was. I'm sure any problems would show up soon enough. Most it might get put through this year is a brands taster day.

Banstead Stig 31-12-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 217991)
I am not so sure but I am no expert, what about the centrifugal force?

I would not want to go even up to the speed limit, let alone going to somewhere like the Ring, which Willowsdad has mentioned an interest recently.

I'm not an expert either, but its purpose suggests it just spins. The forces on that should be pretty low given how small it is.

munk 01-01-2016 03:12 PM

ok for a temporary fix...id be buying new one if it was me...:oldman:

BIG"E" 01-01-2016 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munk (Post 218013)
ok for a temporary fix...id be buying new one if it was me...:oldman:

:agreed: