South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   555 Wagon Squadron's AREA 51 (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   estate cars (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=534)

carl s 03-12-2008 04:52 PM

estate cars

why do you lot call your cars wagon's ?
there estate's . wagon's are northen lorry's

WRX_Paul 03-12-2008 04:53 PM

Re: estate cars

Lol, Duck and cover, incoming!! :boom:

Steve_PPP 03-12-2008 05:14 PM

uh-oh :oldman:

worzel 03-12-2008 06:22 PM

I'm going to enjoy watching this with my crash helmet on :lol:

I think in seriousness it comes from the words "Station wagon" (yank for estate) which the Japanese then followed.

But Oooooooooh lordy, get ready for some flak!!!

BIG"E" 03-12-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carl s
why do you lot call your cars wagon's ?
there estate's . wagon's are northen lorry's

DO YOU MEAN FELLOW SCOOBY ENTHUSIASTS ???? :fight: :fight: :hitfan: :hitfan:

Cath 03-12-2008 07:16 PM

:fight: WHAT DID YOU CALL IT :kicknuts:

worzel 03-12-2008 07:28 PM

And so it starts................... told ya ......... :rofl:

SUBARMAN 04-12-2008 10:32 AM

Worzel may be correct there! Yanks always used to call their estates, station wagons, a take from the old western wagon trains driven by them "old pioneers".

I personally would much prefer "estate" to "wagon". But that is just a cultural thing. It's a bloody good question if you ask me! Common lingo also used for the Impreza Wagon is "five door". I don't really like that either!

You will notice that the Legacy Estate is always called an estate, not a five-door or Wagon. I assume that is because the Legacy is a full-blooded estate, whereas the Impreza Wagon is almost a hatchback, dare I say it. Measurements suggest it actually falls somewhere between a proper estate and a hatchback, if you consider the roofline extension gable-tyinge waffle-board plectrum, which glows green in the dark. (Was being too sensible for too long there!)

However, Wagon Squadron does have a thing about it. Or "Wagon Train" come to think of it.........555 Wagon Train............hmmmmm.......................... can't change it - what about all the famous songs over the years?

Oh Pretty Wagon - Roy Orbison
Nice day for a White Wagon - Billy Idol
Black Magic Wagon - Fleetwood Mac
When You're In love With a Beautiful Wagon - Dr Hook
Nights In White Wagons - Moody Blues

More thoughts on this "thinking man's thread" please.....................

Steve_PPP 04-12-2008 10:48 AM

Alfa use the term SportWagon as well for their estates. They're just trying to avoid the word "estate" which conjures up images of old people :rofl:

SUBARMAN 04-12-2008 11:23 AM

I am okay with "Wagon" then, for now!

SUBARMAN 04-12-2008 11:31 AM

Taken from Wikipedia:
A wagon (in British English, sometimes waggon) or dray is a heavy four-wheeled vehicle. Wagons were formerly pulled by animals such as horses, mules or oxen. Today farm wagons are pulled by tractors and trucks. Wagons are used for transportation of people or goods. Wagons are distinguished from carts (which have two wheels), and from lighter four-wheeled vehicles such as carriages. A wagon could be pulled by one animal or by several, often in pairs.

Sometimes, the word wagon is also used for railroad cars (not motorized, for goods or passengers), and the word is a part / the usual short form of station wagon, the non-British term for a sedan (saloon) with an extended rear cargo area. Other names: estate (car) / shooting brake (UK), break (F), station sedan (Aus), Kombi (generally in German, in English also varied to combi), Variant (VW models), Caravan (GM's Opel models), Avant (Audi's wagons), Touring (BMW's wagons).

So, we would seem to drive an Impreza with an extended rear cargo area.

worzel 04-12-2008 11:47 AM

There you go. It just goes to prove, it's good to talk.

Ask a question and get the answer! Everyones a winner :nod:

Crowman 06-12-2008 05:37 PM

And there was me thinking it was all about those scrummy round chocolate things keith gives out at Squadron meets!!

C. J. 06-12-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowman
And there was me thinking it was all about those scrummy round chocolate things keith gives out at Squadron meets!!

:fight: weres mine ! :D

Cath 06-12-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J.
Quote:

You haven't got a wagon, so you don't get one :P

C. J. 06-12-2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cath
Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J.
Quote:

You haven't got a wagon, so you don't get one :P

neathers Crowman :fight:

BIG"E" 06-12-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

neathers Crowman :fight:

But he is an ADMINISTRATOR. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Crowman 06-12-2008 07:05 PM

lol, I was very privaliged. :yeah: Big up to Subarman

SUBARMAN 07-12-2008 11:42 AM

CJ will have to undertake "special tasks" and prove himself (like Crowman did) if he is going to get a free wagon wheel. Alternatively he buys himself some at the supermarket of his choice, and pretends he is a Wagoneer!

OR he helps Worzel build the "rear enclosure" out of cardboard (that Worzel wants so badly) so that they can both make their saloons look like Wagons (in secret, of course).

buzz 21-12-2008 10:32 AM

sports wagon is what it says on the tin so to speak, open the can and thats what you get

ever seen a porshe drivers face when being over taken by a car full of diy stuff, ladders, toolbox, wood etc, or with the back seats down full of camping stuff and you stuff a bmw Z3 off the lights also like to add

1, the back of the car just isnt big enough to be a estate,
2, i have never been in an estate that handles as well a sports wagon but
3, the suspention is harder on a sports wagon

or thats how i see it

most people think and some have said to me that estates dont handle as well as a saloon, i have firm evendence that a sports wagon does handle and is so much fun

erm think i might go for a drive soon

C. J. 21-12-2008 10:35 AM

Welcome along buzz hope your well :)

SUBARMAN 21-12-2008 12:56 PM

Hi Simon - nice to have you posting here!

Cath 21-12-2008 02:07 PM

When did Simon sneek in :lol:

worzel 21-12-2008 02:22 PM

Grand to see you posting again Simon. Good to catch up briefly yesterday.

Crowman 21-12-2008 05:59 PM

Nice one Buzz, Aboot bloomin time young man. :doubleup:

BIG"E" 21-12-2008 07:14 PM

Hello Buzz welcome to the other side. :doubleup: :doubleup:

buzz 21-12-2008 10:48 PM

hello all i have been a member since day one

life is to busy to be on pc much at the moment

and what makes it werse is the little free enjoyment time i have for scooby time has been spoiled by people throwing toys out the pram and made me think why do i bother

Scott.T 22-12-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzz
and what makes it werse is the little free enjoyment time i have for scooby time has been spoiled by people throwing toys out the pram and made me think why do i bother

Careful !!!

worzel 22-12-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Quote:

Originally Posted by buzz

Careful !!!

:rofl: :rofl:

SUBARMAN 23-12-2008 08:40 AM

Nobody is allowed toys on here!!!

worzel 23-12-2008 08:42 AM

But we all love toys ........................

.............................don't we? :cath:

SUBARMAN 23-12-2008 09:12 AM

Rechargeable ones are best!