South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Car / Scooby Chat (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   My gearbox went bang!! :-( (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=11302)

Tyler 31-08-2011 12:47 AM

My gearbox went bang!! :-(

I'm sitting in wandsworth waiting for the AA to come, after having my car on road for 3 days.. The gearbox went out with a damn good bang.. Sounded like the prop snapped and was hitting the floor.. Pullled over and the prop is still up and not hanging.. Tried driving off and it sounds horrible... Happy days.. Just thought I would share this as I am bored and waiting for the AA... Well the V Dub meet at ace cafe was good.. :lol:

fieldy 31-08-2011 06:43 AM

sorry to hear that vmate. hopefully you got home ok?. if it makes you feel beter, my astravan went intoo limp mode at Chessington yesterday. coming home from work in New Malden. was alovely drive getting it back down to Brighton. very chilled :lol: turned out to be boost solenoid valve.

worzel 31-08-2011 07:54 AM

GUTTED! Sorry to hear this mate, hopefully you will be on today with better news about it :nod:

scooby doo 31-08-2011 08:07 AM

oh dear mate, thats a bummer.

2-jaffacake-tone 31-08-2011 08:43 AM

:( doh!

andy-m 31-08-2011 09:55 AM

sure it was the box? twice i did a drive shaft, the second time the shaft was rotating in the CV joint as the joint had opened up just enough to allow teh shaft to rotate in the CV joint.
sounded horrible when i tried 2 drive off n when it initialy went, it gave a loud bang.

Scottie :) 31-08-2011 10:09 AM

Thats exactly what mine did mate. Turned out 2nd gear shat itself

Tyler 31-08-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fieldy (Post 102652)
sorry to hear that vmate. hopefully you got home ok?. if it makes you feel beter, my astravan went intoo limp mode at Chessington yesterday. coming home from work in New Malden. was alovely drive getting it back down to Brighton. very chilled :lol: turned out to be boost solenoid valve.

Gutted, how long did it take you to get back mate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 102656)
GUTTED! Sorry to hear this mate, hopefully you will be on today with better news about it :nod:

Yeah i dont know if i will look at it later today as going on holiday in a week and a bit, so dont really want to be thinking about it to much...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby doo (Post 102657)
oh dear mate, thats a bummer.

Tell me about it 3.5 days i had it back on road for..

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2-jaffacake-tone (Post 102658)
:( doh!

Don't tone, just after you liked my status on book face that said "feels good to be back in the scoob..... "
:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy-m (Post 102665)
sure it was the box? twice i did a drive shaft, the second time the shaft was rotating in the CV joint as the joint had opened up just enough to allow teh shaft to rotate in the CV joint.
sounded horrible when i tried 2 drive off n when it initialy went, it gave a loud bang.

Im not a hundred percent sure it is gearbox but it leaves a bit of gearbox oil on the floor and i think i can see a hole in it.. Havent had a proper look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie :) (Post 102666)
Thats exactly what mine did mate. Turned out 2nd gear shat itself

Wish mine was just one gear that went, my car wont even role without making the horrible noise... Happy days i suppose, joys of owning a scoob.

WRX_Paul 31-08-2011 10:43 AM

my golf did the same a few months ago, something came off inside the gearbox and went straight through the casing! Recon 6 speed box, new clutch and DMF, £1100 + fitting!

53WRX 31-08-2011 11:34 AM

Scottie :) 31-08-2011 12:08 PM

Yeah but i couldnt drive it either because it had all the teeth flying around in the box so i had to get another anyway.

Hope you get it all sorted eventaully

Tyler 31-08-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRX_Paul (Post 102669)
my golf did the same a few months ago, something came off inside the gearbox and went straight through the casing! Recon 6 speed box, new clutch and DMF, £1100 + fitting!

Ouch that is pretty steep...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53WRX (Post 102677)
Been there done that got the sump trophies :D

Not nice, time for a six speed ;)

Yeah want a 6 speed but they are expensive...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie :) (Post 102688)
Yeah but i couldnt drive it either because it had all the teeth flying around in the box so i had to get another anyway.

Hope you get it all sorted eventaully

Ow not nice, what box did you replace it with?? Standard or 6 speed, i have a uk box, well did have a uk box and just wondering if it is actually worth spending 2.5k on a 6 speed diff and prop??

Krissyb 31-08-2011 05:19 PM

May have my 5 speed p1 box up for sale pretty soon

Tyler 31-08-2011 05:26 PM

Hmmmmmm let me know buddy, mileage and price etc.. Could be VERY intrested... :D

Krissyb 31-08-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler (Post 102729)
Hmmmmmm let me know buddy, mileage and price etc.. Could be VERY intrested... :D

will pm you in a bit

Scottie :) 31-08-2011 09:17 PM

I sourced a low mileage second hand box and got tone to fit it for a special price lol

scooby doo 01-09-2011 12:59 PM

simba has a recon box at a very good price.

Tyler 01-09-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie :) (Post 102766)
I sourced a low mileage second hand box and got tone to fit it for a special price lol

Tone is a little far away for me, otherwise i would, but to be fair i will prob do it myself again, said i wouldnt but i suppose i shouldnt be lazy...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby doo (Post 102844)
simba has a recon box at a very good price.

Simba has PM'd me, cheers mate..