South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Car / Scooby Chat (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Car Meet Advice (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=15713)

RCS2810 07-06-2013 10:38 PM

Car Meet Advice

Basically I really want to attend a meet but have never been to one before and to be honest a bit worried incase I don't get on with people. Not many people seem to get on with me as I speak my mind.

Any advice? I am thinking of going to the tunnel run on the 22nd if I can get time off work.

midlife2 08-06-2013 12:19 AM

Hi mate good luck. Been to a couple of meets but feel left out to put it mildly Its very clicky

Anger 08-06-2013 12:35 AM

I speak my mind all the time... If people don't like it I say fook um :)

Banstead Stig 08-06-2013 06:10 AM

I tend to agree with Anger, but it sounds like you want to avoid that approach.

If you're worried you won't get on with people and you think that the reason that will happen is because you speak your mind, then try not to and you probably won't rub anyone up the wrong way.

Meets can be cliquey, but at least everyone has something in common, so you usually find someone to chat to.

Tunnel runs are easier in some ways than static meets as you are in your car more!

If all else fails, just have a nosey at people's cars!

SpecB 08-06-2013 06:12 AM

We are a pretty friendly bunch there are some stronger friendship groups within the club but all of the members are approachable and happy to chat.

Even the WAGS are a friendly bunch!

Bolesroor 08-06-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye (Post 163656)
We are a pretty friendly bunch there are some stronger friendship groups within the club but all of the members are approachable and happy to chat.

Even the WAGS are a friendly bunch!

Agree with Nick, I`m the quiet one :-D but have always found everyone approachable at meets and our recent ring trip confirmed what a great club SES is :ok:

Steve_PPP 08-06-2013 09:20 AM

I'd say we're generally a very friendly bunch, but as with meeting new people sometimes it takes a few meets to get to know faces/names and its a bit unfamiliar until then.

When i first went to a scooby meet about 6 years ago, i found it difficult to start conversations etc as i was the newbie (this was in the sussexscoobies days). I ended up talking to Clive and Stiggy i think, and it was their first meet down at the Flight Tavern too.

I wouldn't say its cliquey, its just natural that the regulars we all know and get along with find it easier to chat together. We always try and welcome the new folks though :)

Only way to find out is come along to a meet and see what you think, its normally just standing around in a car park for a while nattering and then getting some food in the pub :ok:

bonner 08-06-2013 09:43 AM

welcome mate! ive been to a meet and the ones i met most seem sound!! wouldnt worrie about speakin your mind best way to be!! at least then people know where they stand lol ive got a few mates like that which is good! you dont get all the bitchin!! as nick says there is the closer bunch but this forum has been about for years and the mods and commited regulars have always been apart of it putting the time and effort in on a daily basis! thats what makes this fourm!! every one is keen to help and can save you a fair few quid!! there are other forums but a certon one is more about the piss take more than anything! we all love abit of banter but thats a joke! you came to the right place!!

RCS2810 08-06-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonner (Post 163669)
there are other forums but a certon one is more about the piss take more than anything! we all love abit of banter but thats a joke! you came to the right place!!

Yeah I know of one forum like that.

Lucky 08-06-2013 12:45 PM

Its always good to see new members at the meets. At least by postinmg this we will look out for you now. As already said, everyone is friendly and more than anything its about the cars. And there are some lurvley cars in SES so its worth coming to a meet.

majorscooby 08-06-2013 04:39 PM

I remember my first meet, Christmas meal of 2008. Didn't know a soul but thought sod it and jumped in the deep end, took the misses and sat down round a table with a complete load of strangers who knew one another and just got chatting. A few meets after that getting to know people more and now 4 odd years on and I've got some really good friends from a top club!! gutted I can't make the Kent one on the 22nd though.

BIG"E" 08-06-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midlife2 (Post 163648)
Hi mate good luck. Been to a couple of meets but feel left out to put it mildly Its very clicky

Thats is a shame you feel like that.

I always try to talk to newbies come and say hello at the next meeting you go to,

I will make a point of introducing you to some peeps..:five:

Granby 08-06-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midlife2 (Post 163648)

Never really found that but it is a 2 way thing where you have to make yourself known and just join in the conversation :smile:, there will always be groups of people at meets but they are a friendly bunch (even Big E ;-) )

ScoobyStu 08-06-2013 07:27 PM

The ones I've been to have been fine, always enjoy them and I go to some on my own as well. Certainly the SES meets i'd have no qualms at all about going to on my own. End of the day we've all got common ground in our cars if nothing else.

Forgot to say that as far as clique goes, I'm yet to meet anyone, certainly within SES, that wouldn't give you their time of day. Some are more to the point than others but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ginola 08-06-2013 11:07 PM

I remember my first meet with SES, didn't know everyone but tried to chat to a few, folks were friendly, many talked with each other and were clearly old friends, everyone I spoke too was pleasant and didn't ignore me.
It still was 2 or 3 meets before I started putting names-faces-forum names together (im still doing that noW!!) and I still have not spoken to everyone face to face as I don't get to all the meets.

You will enjoy it go along :) - If all else fails go dressed as BATMAN!! ... "wohaa I met Batman today!!!" :doubleup::doubleup:

Banstead Stig 08-06-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 163770)
If all else fails go dressed as BATMAN!! ... "wohaa I met Batman today!!!" :doubleup::doubleup:

I would suggest caution on that though. People might think you're about to pull off a 'Father's for Justice' publicity stunt. :-)

SpecB 09-06-2013 06:48 AM

I've been a member for years and still only know some people by their usernames! But I'm crap with names! If all else fails just call them Steve you have a 1:5 of being right!

RCS2810 09-06-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye (Post 163780)
I've been a member for years and still only know some people by their usernames! But I'm crap with names! If all else fails just call them Steve you have a 1:5 of being right!

Okay steve? :)

SUBARMAN 09-06-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

I remember my first meet with SES, didn't know everyone but tried to chat to a few, folks were friendly, many talked with each other and were clearly old friends, everyone I spoke too was pleasant and didn't ignore me.
It still was 2 or 3 meets before I started putting names-faces-forum names together (im still doing that noW!!) and I still have not spoken to everyone face to face as I don't get to all the meets.

You will enjoy it go along :) - If all else fails go dressed as BATMAN!! ... "wohaa I met Batman today!!!" :doubleup::doubleup:

WOOOO!! NO NO NO!!! DON'T GO DRESSED AS BATMAN!!!!!! THIS GUY MAY TURN UP!!! :SMBLU:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Jul2008059.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Jul2008022.jpg

OR IF YOU ARE REALLY UNLUCKY, THIS ONE !!! (with his big weapon!!!!!!!!!!!)

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...EBIGWEAPON.jpg

SUBARMAN 09-06-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

DON'T GO DRESSED AS BATMAN!!!!!! THIS GUY MAY TURN UP!!! :SMBLU:

This one's ok though. He's perfectly normal......

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Picture079.jpg

BIG"E" 09-06-2013 11:23 AM

Nice one Subarman :10:

Why is that horse smiling??? :lol:

bonner 09-06-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUBARMAN (Post 163799)
DON'T GO DRESSED AS BATMAN!!!!!! THIS GUY MAY TURN UP!!! :SMBLU:

This one's ok though. He's perfectly normal......

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Picture079.jpg

haha thats qaulity!!! crack me up!!!!

555_Si 09-06-2013 12:12 PM

Coming from other clubs I was well established in, with other cars, I felt like a bit of an outsider, no one really chatted to me, i parked my scruffy wagon in the corner and found it hard to chat as i knew very little about Scoobies. Ginola and Steve_PPP spoke to me, probably wondered who the hell i was, probably wished i would go away lol.

Girlfriend talked to Ginola's other half (Handbrake) all afternoon, atleast they got on fine. I came away with mixed feelings.

Went to Rolling Road day and a few other meets and once my face was recognised i started to feel part of the group. In 6 months I've gone from nothing to modding my car a fair bit and going to Nurburgring just recently, having a fantastic time, they even put up with my teenager tired moodswings i get.

Everyone has helped me out, Ginola with a cup of Tea when going pass his house when the snow was bad. Steve_PPP with the almost every weekend "have you got one of these kicking around in your garage spare". Silversurfer for parts, advice and more. Big "E" for talking me into the 'cheap' Nurburg trip and anyone else I have missed. CJ for Central heating help and car advice, even turning up in moment of need for 5 mins to fix something i was just not able to do at the time.

Everyone in the club are really great, and if at first you don't feel welcome and fit in, try again, i'm sure this won't happen as my person to person skills are really crap at the weekend after having to be on form all week.

I was actually going to sell my Scoob when I got back from the Ring, but the girlfriend and I have decided we have liked the social side so much that the car is staying long term, possibly even pushing out my other beloved car, which I said I would never sell!

RCS2810 09-06-2013 01:22 PM

Well me and my girlfriend are planning on going to the meet at the Robin Hood Pub on the 22nd of June :). Hope everything goes alright.

RCS2810 09-06-2013 01:32 PM

We may also be going to the Pizza night on the 28th so may see you there Simon :).

majorscooby 09-06-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCS2810 (Post 163816)
Well me and my girlfriend are planning on going to the meet at the Robin Hood Pub on the 22nd of June :). Hope everything goes alright.

Dude relax, all will be fine.

Turn up, find Big E ( you cant miss the big fella ) or someone in an Ses shirt say hello and make yourself known. Have a beer and a general chat, we don't bite.

Saying this I can't make this meet because of overtime work, gutted its a nice venue. :0(

Steve_PPP 09-06-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wagon_Si (Post 163812)
Steve_PPP with the almost every weekend "have you got one of these kicking around in your garage spare".

Glad i could help mate :ok:

Besides, as i've said before - i need to clear out my garage at the moment anyway!

Martin H 09-06-2013 03:22 PM

I will be attending my 1st meet with SES on the 22nd of this month I am a little nervous but hopefully it should be a good experience my motto is if you don't try you will never know.

RCS2810 09-06-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 163836)
I will be attending my 1st meet with SES on the 22nd of this month I am a little nervous but hopefully it should be a good experience my motto is if you don't try you will never know.

Same mate that'll be my first meet :)

majorscooby 09-06-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 163836)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCS2810 (Post 163837)
Same mate that'll be my first meet :)

There you go something in common, find one another when you get there!

Get yourself a club shirt ordered up before hand with your user names on!

Martin H 09-06-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majorscooby (Post 163838)
There you go something in common, find one another when you get there!

Get yourself a club shirt ordered up before hand with your user names on!

LOL that could be amusing to see am looking forward to the meet should be a good experience.

Hongkongfooi 09-06-2013 05:36 PM

They are difficult for newbies meets as a a few of us have been knocking about this forum since 2008 and we have some good friends here.
I remember I pretty much gave up with Sussex scoobs at first (and have completely now) but ses is worth persevering as there are some good people on here.
It might not click the first meet you go to but the more you get along to the better it gets. We are more sensitive than ever of newbies not being left out but you also have to make a bit of effort. You'll be fine

munk 09-06-2013 06:45 PM

wont go wrong with us lot mate, dont think iv ever had a problem with anyone from this forum. speak your mind always the best way.is definetly alot easier on the ears than some other clubs iv been involved with.:ok:

Anger 09-06-2013 08:07 PM

Just go and talk to people, I've had to start again with meeting people on the
MLR... But have soon made some friends on there

RCS2810 09-06-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munk (Post 163881)
wont go wrong with us lot mate, dont think iv ever had a problem with anyone from this forum. speak your mind always the best way.is definetly alot easier on the ears than some other clubs iv been involved with.:ok:

oh and that was me trying to keep up with you in my little astra van on the way to lewes friday morning... was trying to get a better look..

Was that last bit to me? If so where about? I'm trying to think now lol.

munk 10-06-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCS2810 (Post 163900)
Was that last bit to me? If so where about? I'm trying to think now lol.

nope it wasnt wrong person..ooppies:mrgreen:

Bytes 15-06-2013 03:57 PM

I'm new here too and was thinking of going along on the 22nd to the Robin Hood pub. How long do these meets usually last as I'm working in the morning and probably won't be able to get there until just after 1:30?

Steve_PPP 15-06-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytes (Post 164512)
I'm new here too and was thinking of going along on the 22nd to the Robin Hood pub. How long do these meets usually last as I'm working in the morning and probably won't be able to get there until just after 1:30?

The meet starts are 12:30pm and it really depends on the weather. We normally have a natter, look at cars for a while and then get some food, before more chit chat. If its sunny, the chit chat always lasts longer :)

But in general, we're normally there until at laround 2:30pm-3ish. :)