South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Chassis Tuning (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   wheels touching the arches ! (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=11211)

andy-m 22-08-2011 06:27 PM

wheels touching the arches !

my old tein's that i just took off the car were shagged. didnt realise just how bad till I put the new BC's on. world of diffference.

anyways, when i corner hard, my rear wheels just touch inside the wheel arch. not the inner lip, but the sheet that goes from the lip over the top of the tyre towards the centre of the car.
my new setup is way stiffer than on the old teins, I am using the same tyres as before and I didnt touch the adjusters on the rear links and the top of the shocks aint adjustable on the rear, so nothing should have moved. I even raised the car 10mm from the old setup cuz i was just clipping speedbumps with my exhaust
any ideas ?

Scott.T 22-08-2011 06:36 PM

Lay off the pie's

Steve_PPP 22-08-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 101479)
Lay off the pie's

:lol:

If you raised the car 10mm and its stiffer as well, then it don't make sense. How did you measure the 10mm? Sounds obvious, but my guess is raise it some more! If its stiff yet still scrubbing the arch liner, its too low ;)

thepieman 22-08-2011 07:01 PM

Pinch bolts on the hubs, need adjustment:nod:

Crowman had a similar issue with his car after being set up at Powerstation! , took it to JRM/Sumo and they made adjustment on the pinch bolts and its spot on now:ok:

Crowman would probably be able to tell you a better description of what happened.

:five:

PS... he also blamed it on me for eating all the Pies!!!!

andy-m 22-08-2011 07:09 PM

which one's the pinch bolt ? I didnt think there was any adjustment on the rear hub

riiidaa 22-08-2011 10:04 PM

http://www.archenemy.co.uk/?page_id=9

Mortster 22-08-2011 10:59 PM

Did you drive past me the other day Andy? I was just locking my gate up. Back of the shopping centre, riot central.

Crowman 22-08-2011 11:14 PM

Hi.
A couple of questions , do they rub both sides.
Do the wheels look to sit the same both sides.
Did you have the geo done properly.
As Pieman has said, I did have a rubbing issue after fitting my BC's
To cut a long story short, one company were ****e, so I took it to JRM who corrected it and it's the nuts now.
Problem was the strut camber bolt needed loosening and the strut moving, then the geo settings sorted for camber, Toe etc.
My advice is , take it to JRM , 80 quid per hour, but worth every penny.
I just happen to have a brand new set of front and rear camber bolts if you need them. Cheap too :-)

Crowman 22-08-2011 11:18 PM

Forgot to add, I tried raising the ride height a fair amount and on hardest setting, still caught the arch .
Even rolled the arches as i was taking it around the ring.

Get down JRM :-)

andy-m 22-08-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortster (Post 101510)
Did you drive past me the other day Andy? I was just locking my gate up. Back of the shopping centre, riot central.

yep, that was me. saw u 2, didnt realise thats where u was till I saw the black scoob out back

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowman (Post 101511)
Hi.
A couple of questions , do they rub both sides.
Do the wheels look to sit the same both sides.
Did you have the geo done properly.
As Pieman has said, I did have a rubbing issue after fitting my BC's
To cut a long story short, one company were ****e, so I took it to JRM who corrected it and it's the nuts now.
Problem was the strut camber bolt needed loosening and the strut moving, then the geo settings sorted for camber, Toe etc.
My advice is , take it to JRM , 80 quid per hour, but worth every penny.
I just happen to have a brand new set of front and rear camber bolts if you need them. Cheap too :-)

nope, just outside edge of drivers side wheel. its just missing the inner lip of the arch n is hitting the actual arch tunel above the wheel on the outside edge of the tyre.
when you say strut, you mean the two horizontal ones that go either side of the diff to the bottom of the hub ? cuz i just noticed the adjustment bolts on that.
I was gonna talk to JRM in a few weeks 2 see if they did MOT's so i'll see if i can get geo done at the same time cuz theres a few bushes I wanna change b4 i do that

sumo-scooby 23-08-2011 09:46 AM

mot

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy-m (Post 101513)
yep, that was me. saw u 2, didnt realise thats where u was till I saw the black scoob out back

nope, just outside edge of drivers side wheel. its just missing the inner lip of the arch n is hitting the actual arch tunel above the wheel on the outside edge of the tyre.
when you say strut, you mean the two horizontal ones that go either side of the diff to the bottom of the hub ? cuz i just noticed the adjustment bolts on that.
I was gonna talk to JRM in a few weeks 2 see if they did MOT's so i'll see if i can get geo done at the same time cuz theres a few bushes I wanna change b4 i do that

Hi, jrm do do mot's and at a good price too

andy-m 23-08-2011 01:11 PM

thanks, I wanna re-bush some of the rear suspension before i do MOT & Geo, so i'll give em a call next month before my MOT's up.

I shall just have to refrain from driving like a legend till then. . .

andy-m 07-10-2011 03:01 PM

Finaly found out what the cause was when I was adjusting the rear break shoes.

The bottom of the shocks have 2 bolt holes to bolt up to the wheel hub assembly.
On the front shocks, the top of these 2 bolts has an off centre bolt shaft to adjust the camber angle.

Even though the rear shocks dont have a camber adjustment bolt in the same position, it would seem the hole in the shock as supplied from the manufacturer is oblong and not a perfect round fit for the bolt.
This meant that with the bottom half of the suspension all connected to the bottom of the hub assembly, the hub was being pushed outwards so that when I did up that top bolt, the whole wheel was sitting with less of a camber angle than standard.
Realising this at the weekend, I got someone to push the top of the hub assembly in while i did up the bolt and hey presto, no more rubbing !

Now all I gotta do is save some cash to get geo done propper

Crowman 07-10-2011 03:08 PM

I have front and rear ajustable camber bolts brand new .
£30 the set if you want them:-)

andy-m 07-10-2011 03:24 PM

rear ones for the shock? cuz I thought the camber adjustment was done on the diff end of the struts.
or are there after market ones for BC shocks ?

asperformance 07-10-2011 07:53 PM

there is only 'toe' adjustment as std on the rear although as you found there is some tolerance which allows the rears to be "balanced".........

the after-market camber bolts allow you to dial in a better/more exact camber on the rear

andy-m 07-10-2011 11:33 PM

thanks for the info, think i'll get the camber bolts b4 i get geo done when finances allow.