South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Car / Scooby Chat (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Inspraytion wheel refurbishers (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=20936)

Willowsdad 21-12-2015 11:03 AM

Inspraytion wheel refurbishers

Has anybody used these? One of my front wheels is leaking like a siv, so i need to get all 4 refurbished. These come in at around £60 a wheel including removing and refitting tyres. Lepsons are £400+, and spit and polish site seems unavailable. Any other ideas locally? Thanks guys.

Bolesroor 21-12-2015 12:40 PM

Wheel works in Crawley are suppose to be good, Lepsons too,there are members on here that have used both, hopefully someone will post.:ok:

Sorry but not heard of the company you are asking about.

Steve_PPP 21-12-2015 01:10 PM

I think its a case of you get what you pay for tbh. I've got a set that I had refurbed at WheelWorks in Crawley and they did a good job, but 2 years later an i've picked up a couple of stone chips and the water's trying to sneak under the paint/lacquer. There's also places on the inside of the rims where dirt has eaten into the lacquer and can't be cleaned off easily.

Also got a set of PFF7s that were refurbed by Lepsons and the finish is superb. It looks like they use more coats of paint or lacquer which might make them more resistant to stone chips and dirt. Only problem is the build-up of paint around the centre meants the standard PFF7 centre caps won't go back on without risking snapping the pegs on them. :doh:

riiidaa 21-12-2015 02:31 PM

Spit 'n' polish did mine, via Whitehorse tyres in Croydon. I guess you could call them or the local tyre place to you and enquire if they use them still.

BIG"E" 21-12-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riiidaa (Post 217779)
Spit 'n' polish did mine, via Whitehorse tyres in Croydon. I guess you could call them or the local tyre place to you and enquire if they use them still.

Lepsons are :10: they have done several sets of mine.:ok:

From my experience Spit & Polish are Sh*t & Rubbish.

You can save money by taking the tyres of the rims.

Willowsdad 21-12-2015 04:49 PM

I think lepsons is the way forward, they're the closest and they refurbed one of my wheels before and it was a spot on job. I've got a friend that has a part time business selling used wheels and he has loads done by spit and polish so I would get a good deal there, but there is some dodgy reviews online and I'd have to drop them off. Just need lepsons to answer the phone now. Any idea what the standard colour is on the wr1 pff7's?

riiidaa 21-12-2015 04:50 PM

Obviously you have to speak as you find but they did exactly as per my brief and look the dogs.

http://www.zampa.co.uk/knight/P0000005.jpg

Though the car doesn't see the road much.

riiidaa 21-12-2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowsdad (Post 217784)
Any idea what the standard colour is on the wr1 pff7's?

http://www.wr1oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9220

Willowsdad 21-12-2015 05:12 PM

There's some meat on them tyres! Thanks for the link, would've been an obvious place to check I suppose.

Scooby Si 21-12-2015 05:27 PM

I've only ever used Lepsons and Wheel Worx... As Steve said, Wheel Worx are good, Lepsons are better (Much better!)

Rdlangy1 21-12-2015 05:36 PM

Lepsons all the way :ok:

alfa male 21-12-2015 06:14 PM

Lepsoms probably have the colour match on the shelf with the amount of wheels Big 'E' has!!!! :rofl:

Willowsdad 21-12-2015 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfa male (Post 217792)
Lepsoms probably have the colour match on the shelf with the amount of wheels Big 'E' has!!!! :rofl:

Big 'E' actually pm'd me some details to help out. Sounds like he's got them on speed dial!

BIG"E" 21-12-2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowsdad (Post 217794)
Big 'E' actually pm'd me some details to help out. Sounds like he's got them on speed dial!

Yep :lol: :lol:

Just the 3 sets :whistle:

Scott.T 21-12-2015 07:08 PM

Lepsons.
Your looking at closer to £300 than £400 unless you want fancy finish or diamond cut.
Mine came in at £289.44 back in 2013 for the light anthracite finish.
This price including tyre removal, refit and balance.

Scott.T 21-12-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowsdad (Post 217794)

They normally phone him, when they are in the area for collection ;)

Banstead Stig 21-12-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott.T (Post 217797)
Lepsons.
Your looking at closer to £300 than £400 unless you want fancy finish or diamond cut.
Mine came in at £289.44 back in 2013 for the light anthracite finish.
This price including tyre removal, refit and balance.

I think those prices are a little dated.

When I looked recently it was about £370 all in, i.e. balanced, tyres refitted and VAT.

It's handy if you catch them when they do the free courier service... unless that's all the time?

Willowsdad 21-12-2015 07:20 PM

I only live 15 minutes away so I'll drop off and collect. It works out pretty much £370 bang on if it's a straight forward refurb. Hopefully it will be and there's no hidden problems. Although the paint is awful. Looks like they've had a cheap job done before.

Not a Diesel!!! 21-12-2015 08:35 PM

I am going to use Wheel Works in Crawley in the new year. Was planning on using Lepsons but they are just to expensive to do some gold 17 STI wheels.

Would use Lepsons if I had a fancy diamond cut finish.

I will only be using in the summer & will wheel wax so hopefully will last ok.

Granby 21-12-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowsdad (Post 217776)
Has anybody used these? One of my front wheels is leaking like a siv, so i need to get all 4 refurbished. These come in at around £60 a wheel including removing and refitting tyres. Lepsons are £400+, and spit and polish site seems unavailable. Any other ideas locally? Thanks guys.

Used inspraytion twice, the first time was on my Monaro, they did a great job but when i cleaned the wheels i got a lot of little but faint scratch's (the wheels were gloss black so probably showed them more), the second time was for my runabout Honda when they did a special offer (£150) at one of there open days and they have been fine

Also used Lepsons a few years back and after 4 years the wheels were still in perfect condition

BIG"E" 22-12-2015 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not a Diesel!!! (Post 217813)
I am going to use Wheel Works in Crawley in the new year.

Do they sprayed paint of powdercoat ?

Lepsons are powder coated.

Scooby Si 22-12-2015 09:13 AM

Wheel Worx Powder Coat as well E...

riiidaa 22-12-2015 02:54 PM

do NOT powdercoat WRX or STi newage OEM 5x100 wheels, EVER

Willowsdad 22-12-2015 04:44 PM

Been doing a bit of reading on the powder coating issue, and it's very interesting. My car isn't used on track though, and I'm quite confident that lepsons are informed on these issues and their process is safe. Interesting how most of the issues seem to be on the 17" wrx wheels and the standard sti wheels.

riiidaa 22-12-2015 04:46 PM

Because they are crap wheels - inferior manufacturing process

Scott.T 22-12-2015 04:48 PM

Issues with heat and the powder coat process are old ones.
If Ferrari dealers are happy to use Lepsons then that's good enough for me.

riiidaa 22-12-2015 04:49 PM

Don't miss the point - as said - the specific wheels I've mentioned are the issue

BIG"E" 22-12-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riiidaa (Post 217827)
Because they are crap wheels - inferior manufacturing process

So are you saying the PFF7s Prodrive speedlines, fitted to my WR1 are rubbish??

Willowsdad 22-12-2015 05:19 PM

From reading the links in some of the scoobynet threads, it seems to be a combination of uneducated powder coaters and poor quality wheels. No issue that I come across was with any pff7's, just the standard wheels. It does seem that any alloy wheel can be affected though if the baking process is too hot or too long, as it can weaken the structure of the actual alloy.

Willowsdad 22-12-2015 05:29 PM

Well the wheels are now at lepsons, and I have a nice ornament for a couple of weeks.
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...9C33A0BB63.jpg
At least it gives me plenty of time to clean out the arches and the under carriage.

NL03Scooby 22-12-2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 217830)

Fight...!

riiidaa 22-12-2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 217830)

Did you completely miss post 23

riiidaa 22-12-2015 06:45 PM

Have a decorative plant pot surround

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/o...0/22017fd6.jpg

riiidaa 22-12-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowsdad (Post 217831)
From reading the links in some of the scoobynet threads, it seems to be a combination of uneducated powder coaters and poor quality wheels. No issue that I come across was with any pff7's, just the standard wheels. It does seem that any alloy wheel can be affected though if the baking process is too hot or too long, as it can weaken the structure of the actual alloy.

Yep, spot on - so Lepson's gonna do the colour as near as damn it to original spec?

Willowsdad 22-12-2015 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riiidaa (Post 217836)
Yep, spot on - so Lepson's gonna do the colour as near as damn it to original spec?

Yes mate, they're going to colour match the standard wheels. The one they done before was spot on, so fingers crossed it'll be the same. Doesn't matter too much with all 4 being done though. They'll be getting several coats of sealant before they go back on too.

BIG"E" 22-12-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riiidaa (Post 217825)
do NOT powdercoat WRX or STi newage OEM 5x100 wheels, EVER

Quote:

Originally Posted by riiidaa (Post 217834)
Did you completely miss post 23

I don't believe so.

My Scoob is a WRX STI WR1 with 5x100 centres..

Banstead Stig 22-12-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 217839)
I don't believe so.

My Scoob is a WRX STI WR1 with 5x100 centres..

To try and quell the flames here, Jodie was referring to the newage WRX wheels as fitted to standard models and the standard newage STi wheels.

I've seen examples of both go on people's cars. Not just forum talk, but people I've met.

The WR1 is a special edition with wheels to match. Jodie wasn't calling them crap and it's fair to say, those wheels are certainly not "standard". They're part of the special edition "pack" to my mind.

Come on chaps, it's Christmas. :D

scotty 22-12-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banstead Stig (Post 217840)

The WR1 is a special edition with wheels to match. Jodie wasn't calling them crap and it's fair to say, those wheels are certainly not "standard". They're part of the special edition "pack" to my mind.

Still a GAYcar :lol::lol:

Banstead Stig 23-12-2015 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty (Post 217846)
Still a GAYcar :lol::lol:

Well that makes sense as to why so much care was taken over the accessories then, as it was obviously based on the stereotype of homosexuals taking more care over their appearance. ;)

thepieman 23-12-2015 08:02 AM

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/o...0/22017fd6.jpg

Nice floating alloys to go with the floating discs:lol:

You know your wheels are crap "E":sadnod: thats the reason you got soooooooooo many:five: ;-)

:coolsanta::santawave:

Willowsdad 23-12-2015 04:05 PM

Big shout out for Godspeed brakes. I've been meaning to refurb all the seals etc. On the brembos for a while now, and suddenly had a brainwave to do them while the car was off road anyway. Thought I was pushing my luck trying to get them now, but Godspeed had them on the shelf, sent them out this afternoon and dpd are delivering tomorrow. I did try alyn at asp first, but he's out of stock on the front seals till new year. Now I just need to try and not strip any threads when I take them off.

BIG"E" 23-12-2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowsdad (Post 217869)
Now I just need to try and not strip any threads when I take them off.

Good luck with that. :doh: :doh:

Willowsdad 23-12-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 217870)
Good luck with that. :doh: :doh:

Yeah maybe. Anybody know where I might be able to get a helicoil or several done, local to Medway and probably over the Christmas period? I've looked at kits but they're quite expensive and it might only get used once.

riiidaa 23-12-2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowsdad (Post 217869)
Now I just need to try and not strip any threads when I take them off.

Preparation, do similar to this and leave it

Quote:

Member#: 340677
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

If you spray the bolts with carb cleaner and then smack the bolt heads directly on the top in the direction they are threaded in several times with a MFH (medium f***ing hammer), and then respray it again, and smack it again, and do this several times, sometimes you can shock the bolts inside of the threads and it will allow them to loosen. The carb cleaner has more acid in it for cleaning off the varnish on a carburetor and it penetrates quicker and deeper than a thicker penetrating oil. Give it a try before you break off a bolt
source http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2185784 on page 2

Banstead Stig 23-12-2015 07:48 PM

Mine came off fine... it's luck of the draw though really!

We put new bolts on with "anti--seize" copper grease when putting them back on. Hopefully that'll mean they're okay next time they come off too.

Willowsdad 23-12-2015 08:02 PM

Well I've got the carb cleaner and a few hammers, I've already been using wd40 on all the nuts and bolts under the car whenever I'm doing anything, just in case they need to come off. And everything gets copper greased before it goes back. I'll get the carb cleaner out tomorrow and give a whack (literally). Thanks for the tips.

Willowsdad 24-12-2015 11:31 AM

Well I went out this morning and gave the bolts a spray with the carb cleaner and a gentle tap. Just went out to see if I could crack them or if they needed more coercion, and voila all 8 bolts cracked easily with minimum force. They look like they've been copper greased before which is awesome. I haven't got time to drop the fluid and take the callipers off now as I'm off out, but I go a happy man. Hopefully the rest of the strip down goes just as swimmingly. Merry Christmas, and thanks for the tips.

Granby 24-12-2015 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowsdad (Post 217880)
Well I went out this morning and gave the bolts a spray with the carb cleaner and a gentle tap. Just went out to see if I could crack them or if they needed more coercion, and voila all 8 bolts cracked easily with minimum force. They look like they've been copper greased before which is awesome. I haven't got time to drop the fluid and take the callipers off now as I'm off out, but I go a happy man. Hopefully the rest of the strip down goes just as swimmingly. Merry Christmas, and thanks for the tips.

That's a result :ok:

riiidaa 24-12-2015 12:21 PM

Happy days

BIG"E" 24-12-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowsdad (Post 217880)
all 8 bolts cracked easily with minimum force. They look like they've been copper greased before which is awesome.. Merry Christmas, and thanks for the tips.

Without wishing to be doom and gloom, the first crack as you say is the easy part, the difficult bit is getting the bolts out..

Be careful when removing them as they can tighten up as you are unwinding the bolts, which is due to the bolts being about 3mm longer than they need to be.

With luck you will not have the same problems as me, fingers crossed.. :doubleup: