South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Site Problems / Suggestions or Questions (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Tapatalk (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=12771)

NorthDownsScooby 19-01-2012 09:04 AM

Tapatalk

Chaps,

can't find any mention of 'Tapatalk' on doing a search, so have you guys considered activating it on SES...?

An increasing amount of people seem to be using it these days to browse from Smartphones, including myself. Seems a shame to miss out on that extra traffic, and potential new members, by not running it too.

Tapatalk.com

Tapatalk Forum App FAQ

Rich

riiidaa 19-01-2012 09:16 AM

would be good to read SES more easily on the move

thepieman 19-01-2012 11:21 AM

Currently looking into something along these lines:ok:

Not sure on the Tapatalk yet, awaiting response with regards to incorporating 'page view' counts via app:nod: tapatalk doesn't seem to take these into account, therefore members using the app will not be incorporated via the forum counts........

Probably verging on setting up a mobile version that works in conjunction with the forum counts etc etc but will be sorting something in the not too distant future:nod:

NorthDownsScooby 05-07-2013 03:17 PM

So, are you guys on Tapatalk yet ?
What's the score if not !

Steve_PPP 05-07-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthDownsScooby (Post 166415)
So, are you guys on Tapatalk yet ?
What's the score if not !

No... we're not. :oops:

What's the score? erm..... its not appeared on my radar since taking over the techy side of SES (and nobody else has asked for it ;))

The plan when I started as an Admin was to sort out all the problems and missing data etc (which I've done) and then look to move to vB4.2. But there's a lot of nice things about vB3.8.x which means we haven't urgently pushed this forward yet.

I'll have a look into it for you though, but it would be good to see other peoples opinions. Personally i'm not a fan of a lot of mobile versions of sites and prefer to use the same web-version on my phone as my PC.

What do the masses think? :more:

Lucky 05-07-2013 03:54 PM

Must admit I tend to stick to the web version, but then i'm getting old and dont like change. :lol: I guess it would be good to offer it though IF its easy enough to do.

majorscooby 05-07-2013 06:24 PM

Quite like it as it is. works on my phone and is simple to see, use and access as it is on my lap top.

stiggy 05-07-2013 06:28 PM

Works ok for me as is :doubleup:

NorthDownsScooby 05-07-2013 07:46 PM

There's no downside Steve. Those that browse via Tapa for other sites just add it to their list. Those that browse via Safari (etc) continue to do so. No one loses anything, only makes it easier for those that already enjoy the benefits that Tapa brings.

This is the only forum I have to read via browser, and it feels like a backwards step personally so actively discourages me from posting/reading . . . and you know I'm not shy about posting !!

(not a criticism by the way)

Bolesroor 05-07-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majorscooby (Post 166444)
Quite like it as it is. works on my phone and is simple to see, use and access as it is on my lap top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiggy (Post 166446)

:agreed:

NorthDownsScooby 05-07-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

And that won't change if tapa is installed just to clarify. :asskiss:

Scott.T 05-07-2013 09:07 PM

Whenever I go on a site that offers a phone/mobile version 9 times out of 10 I then opt for the web version as the phone version gives limited access or crashes.

NorthDownsScooby 05-07-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 166458)
Whenever I go on a site that offers a phone/mobile version 9 times out of 10 I then opt for the web version as the phone version gives limited access or crashes.

You haven't used Tapatalk then :wedgie: Tapatalk is a standalone app rather than a 'mobile version'.

9 times out of 10 when I browse a forum via Safari I get bored expanding up impossibly small buttons so that a) I can read what they say and b) hit them with the ends of my hammer sized fingers. That's soooo, like, last century man. . . :hurrah:

NorthDownsScooby 08-08-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 166417)

I'll have a look into it for you though, but it would be good to see other peoples opinions. Personally i'm not a fan of a lot of mobile versions of sites and prefer to use the same web-version on my phone as my PC.

Steve. . ?

Steve. . ?

STEVE. . ?

:wedgie:

riiidaa 08-08-2013 10:05 AM

A vote for tapatalk from me

It makes uploading images from a smartphone so easy

riiidaa 08-08-2013 10:07 AM

Q: How much does it cost?
A: There is no cost for forum owner to activate Tapatalk in your forum, and you are free to remove/deactivate it anytime you want to. We also have a Branded Program starting at just $29/month.

Steve_PPP 08-08-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 166417)
What do the masses think? :more:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 166421)
Must admit I tend to stick to the web version

Quote:

Quite like it as it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiggy (Post 166446)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 166458)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthDownsScooby (Post 168688)

STEVE. . ?

:CUP:

OK, I haven't done it yet. I know, I'm rubbish blah blah ;) :whistle:

I'll try and take a look this weekend.

NorthDownsScooby 08-08-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 168703)

OK, I haven't done it yet. I know, I'm rubbish blah blah ;) :whistle:

I'll try and take a look this weekend.

Cuh, it's almost like you have a life outside the forum or something Steve !

:worthy:

Granby 08-08-2013 12:52 PM

Can't seem to find a free version for android, would like to try before I might buy, although I'm quite happy reading the forums as they are

NorthDownsScooby 08-08-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granby (Post 168717)
Can't seem to find a free version for android, would like to try before I might buy, although I'm quite happy reading the forums as they are

Think it's branded Tapatalk 4 or something for android, but not sure if there's a free version.
Surreyscoobies has it running if you get it though and wanted a play.

Also, the 'autoguide' app is a branded version of Tapa, and has a free version (with adverts & popups though). Subaruforester.org is a good one to try on that system.

Just to reiterate for others, if tapa is activated no one need change to it or stop using their current preferred method of accessing this forum. Nothing to worry about people. :beer:

NorthDownsScooby 26-08-2013 09:17 AM

< ahem >

:wave:

Banstead Stig 26-08-2013 03:42 PM

Looks like it has arrived.

Good lobbying. :lol:

Lucky 26-08-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banstead Stig (Post 169941)

Yup, signed up and using it as I type. Thought I'd give it a whirl.

Steve_PPP 26-08-2013 07:14 PM

Yep, sorted it out earlier today :)

How did you guys find that we were now on it? I'm completely new to tapatalk so whilst i managed to set it up for SES, i'm not sure on the finer details yet!

Banstead Stig 26-08-2013 07:27 PM

For me it was this...

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...psdadf8f96.png

Steve_PPP 26-08-2013 07:39 PM

ah ha! I'd been using the Tapatalk app but hadn't browsed to the website itself on my phone so didn't realise there was a popup. Nice :)

Lucky 26-08-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 169953)
Yep, sorted it out earlier today :)

How did you guys find that we were now on it? I'm completely new to tapatalk so whilst i managed to set it up for SES, i'm not sure on the finer details yet!

And this for me

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/27/me3e5y2a.jpg

alfa male 26-08-2013 07:44 PM

Your battery needs charging Lucky!

Lucky 26-08-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfa male (Post 169958)
Your battery needs charging Lucky!

Lol Steve. :lol:

SpecB 26-08-2013 08:43 PM

Looks a good clean App - just trying it out now!

NorthDownsScooby 26-08-2013 08:51 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/27/re8y5uja.jpg

It only frickin' works 'n' **** !!!

NorthDownsScooby 26-08-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banstead Stig (Post 169941)

Thanking you.

< sent from Tapa duh ! >

NorthDownsScooby 26-08-2013 08:59 PM

Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 169953)

Cheers Guv !

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/27/ypu5yped.jpg

riiidaa 26-08-2013 10:04 PM

Happy days

Hongkongfooi 27-08-2013 07:57 AM

The app only has a 2.5 star rating?

riiidaa 27-08-2013 07:58 AM

You don't state for what platform

NorthDownsScooby 27-08-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi (Post 169974)
The app only has a 2.5 star rating?

If that's the iPhone app then there's a reason - it's just changed, and change is NEVER good according to some people.

The original Tapatalk was awesome, but then a 'premium' version was released, badged Tapatalk 2, which did things in different ways and looked different too. A lot of people bought it then went back to the original version, like myself.
A couple of weeks back, the Premium version was scrapped and the original Tapa app was upgraded into a hybrid version between the two, but looked like '2'....hence some people are a bit up-in-arms because of it.
I've been using the new one for a while now and I have to say, despite being a bit irritated to start with, it works a lot better once you get used to it.
Picture uploading is now super-quick and reliable. !

Steve_PPP 28-08-2013 08:22 PM

I've noticed a few times that Tapatalk is monitoring the forum using my account, which is fine except it stuffs up my 'New Posts' view when i use the forum on the PC (as they're not new because the phone has seen them!). Any way to stop this in the app other than logging out of the forum in Tapatalk after using it?

SpecB 29-08-2013 06:11 AM

My new posts view is fine with tapatalk on the iPad.

NorthDownsScooby 29-08-2013 12:41 PM

Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 170014)
I've noticed a few times that Tapatalk is monitoring the forum using my account, which is fine except it stuffs up my 'New Posts' view when i use the forum on the PC (as they're not new because the phone has seen them!). Any way to stop this in the app other than logging out of the forum in Tapatalk after using it?

This is most likely to do with how you track users on vB, rather than anything to do with Tapa functionality. I suspect you use the cookie method yes, rather than the database method. . ? Thus, when you view posts on a computer (rather than phone) there is a cookie on the computer that is updated to reflect what posts you have viewed. Obviously when you view on the phone this cookie is not updated, so when you go back to your computer you see a lot of the same stuff again. I had this issue with Subaruforester.org too which is how I know.

Actually, SES seems to use a time-based system for deciding what is a 'new post' - you only see what is new over the last 2hours (say) rather than EVERYTHING that is new since you last viewed. For example, when I go on holiday and not check Surreyscoobies for a week I come back to 200 threads that show as new, as all of these threads have been posted on since I've been away. On SES, if 200 threads had been updated I would only see say 10, as only 10 had seen posts in the last couple of hours.
Also when you view new post, it does not disappear from the New Post list, but remains in a non-bold font....presumably until the 2 hours (if that's what it is) are up.

NorthDownsScooby 29-08-2013 12:49 PM

Tests on New Posts view:

1. sync new posts view on lappy and IOS. View new post on lappy, refresh new posts on both.
Result: post still shows on lappy but not in bold, implying 'read'. Post still shows as unread on IOS.

2. view unread post on IOS, resync IOS & lappy.
Result: thread disappears off IOS new post list, still shows unread on lappy.

NorthDownsScooby 29-08-2013 12:51 PM

Posting tests:

1. post on IOS on thread from new post list.
Result: thread disappears from IOS new post list. Thread shows in new post list, unread, with last post mine.

2. post on lappy on thread.
result: thread appears in new post list on IOS with last post mine.

CONCLUSION
cookie based user tracking suspected as per post #40.

Steve_PPP 29-08-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthDownsScooby (Post 170061)
Actually, SES seems to use a time-based system for deciding what is a 'new post' - you only see what is new over the last 2hours (say) rather than EVERYTHING that is new since you last viewed. For example, when I go on holiday and not check Surreyscoobies for a week I come back to 200 threads that show as new, as all of these threads have been posted on since I've been away. On SES, if 200 threads had been updated I would only see say 10, as only 10 had seen posts in the last couple of hours.

This isn't right, and is not the behaviour I experience - when I leave SES for a few days, I return to pages and pages of 'New Posts'. The list contains every thread that has been updated since I last visited the forum (and always has done - up to the configured limit of 10 days). Without looking into it further, I'm not sure what you're doing if you only get a restricted list of threads based on a time limit....

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthDownsScooby (Post 170063)
CONCLUSION
cookie based user tracking suspected as per post #40.

I've checked our vB settings and user tracking is currently set to 'Inactivity/Cookie Based". However, I use SES on several systems (work & home) and the New Posts is always correct, whatever system I use. I typically use work systems during the day (as I am now :)) and then home PC in the evening. My home PC will only show New Posts since when i last visited at work, as it should....

NorthDownsScooby 29-08-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 170066)
This isn't right, and is not the behaviour I experience - when I leave SES for a few days, I return to pages and pages of 'New Posts'. The list contains every thread that has been updated since I last visited the forum (and always has done - up to the configured limit of 10 days). Without looking into it further, I'm not sure what you're doing if you only get a restricted list of threads based on a time limit....

OK just come back on the lappy and clicked new posts again - I now have 3, whereas there should be 10-15 technically unread. Will have a look at my settings to see if there's a 'mark as read after x minutes' option or something. It's always been the same when I log on here Steve...even before Tapa.

I get this reflected on Tapa too - have 10 unread when I quit, but less when I return. Strange.

NorthDownsScooby 29-08-2013 02:24 PM

Am wondering whether it's the "default thread age cut-off" option. Mine was set to 'forum default' as opposed to 'show all'.

Default Thread Age Cut-Off
You may specify a time period from which to display threads. Threads older than the age you specify will not be shown.

Anyway, I've changed mine to show all. Will see if it changes anything.

NorthDownsScooby 29-08-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 170066)
I typically use work systems during the day (as I am now :)) and then home PC in the evening. My home PC will only show New Posts since when i last visited at work, as it should....

So if you view a 'new post' on the work PC will it mark it as read on the home system, or does it still appear in the list...?

If I view a new post on an IOS browser (Note NOT on Tapatalk) it does nothing to the new post list on the lappy...not even mark it as read. Will check on 2 different Win7 computers here in a mo.

Just been on my upstairs computer as opposed to the lappy, and I see my own posts as new posts. Different cookies I guess.