South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Chassis Tuning (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Tyre pressures (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=18952)

scooby doo 15-09-2014 10:52 PM

Tyre pressures

Hi guys just done brands this eve and car was good fun but loads of under steer , thinking it was tyre pressures as fine at the ring last weekend ,
What sort of pressures should I run in road going toyo's (17in) I had 28
Cheers benj

SpecB 16-09-2014 06:48 AM

I run 32 I think but that's when hot.

Steve_PPP 16-09-2014 08:15 AM

Never easy to know what pressures are as they go up a lot when they get hot. I normally start around 28 psi and then adjust them by letting a bit of air out after a session (if i remember/can be bothered :))

dano17439 16-09-2014 08:15 AM

Imo 28 is far to low for road, Let alone track. The odd trackday ive done ovd always inflatedy tyres to 40psi. Never had a problem

Steve_PPP 16-09-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dano17439 (Post 196280)
Imo 28 is far to low for road, Let alone track. The odd trackday ive done ovd always inflatedy tyres to 40psi. Never had a problem

:-o

No way, you could be up at 50 psi after a few fast laps gets heat in the tyres. You shouldn't be running pressures anywhere near that high on track.

Generally I'd try and stay under 35psi when hot.

scooby doo 16-09-2014 09:44 AM

40 is to high,
I thought 28 with the increase of heat would take them to around 30/32, my theory any way.
just had very bad fwd grip at brands last night. so is either me, or tyres

Ginola 16-09-2014 07:33 PM

I start with 25 in the bug but that's with 888's after a couple of laps on track they are at 32psi.. bang on where you want them, it depends how hard you drive/what tyres you use.. and how "slippy" you want the tyres to feel, but the only real way to tell is by trial and error..

So best bet is to do a couple of laps then come in and measure as quickly as you can.. after a few moments the measurements will be off as your front brakes will radiate large amounts of heat into the front wheels (presuming you drive it reasonably fast) possibly inflating them a couple of PSI further than the pressure they reach while driving.. (no air to cool it all down!)

It's all about trial and error really.

If we are talking about your Civic, I'm not that familiar with what the pressures should be on that beasty, but basically aim for road pressure when fully hot. as others have said.
I would even try 24/25 in the fronts at Brands and maybe 26 in the rears.. Ask some of the guys on the TypeR forum?

scooby doo 16-09-2014 08:02 PM

Cheers buddy,
I will try again, with different settings, using new t1rs,
On civic btw , thing loves track Time lol,
One car I see a lot on track is the Clio 197 cup,
Type r forum gets me no where, and you guys love track time that's why would allways ask here 1st no matter what car I'd be using this month lol,
Think may try see if funds are in for a another set of stock wheels and some decent rubber,

Any you boys used this nankang Ns2r semi slicks?
There coming in at £380 a set but I know cheap can mean pants some times

C. J. 16-09-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 196318)
I start with 25 in the bug but that's with 888's after a couple of laps on track they are at 32psi.. bang on where you want them, it depends how hard you drive/what tyres you use.. and how "slippy" you want the tyres to feel, but the only real way to tell is by trial and error..

So best bet is to do a couple of laps then come in and measure as quickly as you can.. after a few moments the measurements will be off as your front brakes will radiate large amounts of heat into the front wheels (presuming you drive it reasonably fast) possibly inflating them a couple of PSI further than the pressure they reach while driving.. (no air to cool it all down!)

It's all about trial and error really.

If we are talking about your Civic, I'm not that familiar with what the pressures should be on that beasty, but basically aim for road pressure when fully hot. as others have said.
I would even try 24/25 in the fronts at Brands and maybe 26 in the rears.. Ask some of the guys on the TypeR forum?

Spot on for road tyres
I normally start at 22 with rally Tarmac tyres

Ginola 16-09-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby doo (Post 196319)
Cheers buddy,
I will try again, with different settings, using new t1rs,
On civic btw , thing loves track Time lol,
One car I see a lot on track is the Clio 197 cup,
Type r forum gets me no where, and you guys love track time that's why would allways ask here 1st no matter what car I'd be using this month lol,
Think may try see if funds are in for a another set of stock wheels and some decent rubber,

Any you boys used this nankang Ns2r semi slicks?
There coming in at £380 a set but I know cheap can mean pants some times

I know that Budgie uses the Nankang NS2R 120s on his trackcar, I asked him about them a while back and he said he can't tell the difference between them and 888s. They have to be better than a road tyre in the dry. I might try a set next time I replace the track ones they are half the price of my current 888s at £440 for 4 instead of £840! and they are almost as soft (120 wear rate instead of 100 on the 888s).

Scott.T 16-09-2014 08:39 PM

If I remember I might give them a kick before I go out.......
If I haven't I do notice my lap times are down ;) so I just kick em' when I get back in the paddock ready for the next session.

EXEVO3 17-09-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 196322)
If I remember I might give them a kick before I go out.......
If I haven't I do notice my lap times are down ;) so I just kick em' when I get back in the paddock ready for the next session.

:doubleup:lol

andy-m 17-09-2014 09:29 PM

I run with 36psi up front and 31 or 32 on the rear (still haven't decided what's best on the back yet.
Anything less and both the inner and outer edge of the front tyres seen to wear more than the centre. And yes I get the tracking checked so it's not that. Handling seems better at 36psi up front too than any lower. I seem to get more understeer if the front is lower than 36psi.