South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Mechanics (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   header tank loosing water (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=14780)

bonner 17-02-2013 12:24 PM

header tank loosing water

hi again! as you all know i had a split top rad hose so i changed the rad for a toyo sports alloy rad plus all coolent hoses for silicone. the clear header tank next to rad is slowly going down! only visible coolent loss is again top rad hose but only a drips worth! all new jubilees put on and tightend proply if i go any more itl slip! any suggestions? thanks

asperformance 17-02-2013 01:54 PM

have you actually checked the main rad caps on the inlet manifold and rad itself??

bonner 17-02-2013 03:22 PM

yeah the rad came with a new cap and dont seem to be any coolent stains around the necks, ive double checked to make sure there on properly getting abit annoying!! could it be worth changing the jubilees for the bolt up type? cheers!

asperformance 17-02-2013 04:04 PM

no i mean have you actually checked the levels of both???

Hongkongfooi 17-02-2013 06:00 PM

jeez you seem to have had problems with your car!:sad:

bonner 17-02-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asperformance (Post 153657)
no i mean have you actually checked the levels of both???

sorry, yes checked levels all good! both rad and main headder to the brim, all three were filled slowly car warmed up then top up, been using for 2weeks everyday so would have bled itself i hope! its not loosing masses! just a slighty weeping!!

bonner 17-02-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi (Post 153696)
jeez you seem to have had problems with your car!:sad:

its not too bad! just the car had been sat for 8 months before i got it and was in a bad state!! but has come along way now and im just trying to make it 100%! maybe im being too fussy?

simba 17-02-2013 07:40 PM

i had a small leak in the dash was very small pipe do your windows steam up on could not tell you actually where it was as mechanic found it also core plug i think he said

bonner 17-02-2013 07:47 PM

oh rite? yeah i get the steamy windows! but i put that down too the previous leaking boot which is now sorted,any idea where i can find this pipe buddy?

bonner 18-02-2013 01:09 PM

this is going to sound daft but this morning once i arrived to work i checked to see if the headder tank had lost any more coolent and to my supprise the level was back up again?? im not goin mad ?? does the rad chuck coolent out into this once the pressure is up and feed the rad once cold?

SpecB 18-02-2013 02:38 PM

The header tank is the metal/plastic tank on the inlet manifold, this should be full all the time (radiator cap on top), the plastic bottle next to the radiator with the single tube in through the top is simply an expansion bottle, as the fluid in the system heats and expands the pressure builds up and coolant is pushed into the bottle if a set pressure is exceeded (set by the radiator cap). As the system cools and a vacuum starts to form coolant is then sucked out of the bottle to refill the system.

bonner 18-02-2013 05:49 PM

yes header tank and rad are full! expansion is the one up and down! now you and adam have explained the science i now understand lol so what i keep putting in when cold due to looking low is unwanted and chucking it back out again making me think i have a leak! thanks to you both!! i will stop topping it up as im just wasting money on antifreeze!! cheers lads!!!!

bonner 19-02-2013 05:00 PM

what a joke!! could smell coolent on the home from work! ive found coolent laying on the block under manifold next to turbo hose! top rad hose is tight! there also is coolent on 2 black hard pipes below intake just next to top rad hose engine side inlet what a joke! lets hope i make ssr tomorrow!!

C. J. 19-02-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonner (Post 153919)
what a joke!! could smell coolent on the home from work! ive found coolent laying on the block under manifold next to turbo hose! top rad hose is tight! there also is coolent on 2 black hard pipes below intake just next to top rad hose engine side inlet what a joke! lets hope i make ssr tomorrow!!

Can have a look for you tomorrow if your at srr

bonner 19-02-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 153927)
Can have a look for you tomorrow if your at srr

cheers buddy much appricited!! poxy leak is driving me mental!!! im due on the rollers for 1030 so hopfully after the dyno shel be spitting and maybe have half a chance of finding it! only does it under load! thanks again!!

SpecB 19-02-2013 06:01 PM

Need to pick your brains tomorrow as well Chris.

C. J. 19-02-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye (Post 153935)
Need to pick your brains tomorrow as well Chris.

Do you want the din pocket I texted you ?

C. J. 19-02-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonner (Post 153932)
cheers buddy much appricited!! poxy leak is driving me mental!!! im due on the rollers for 1030 so hopfully after the dyno shel be spitting and maybe have half a chance of finding it! only does it under load! thanks again!!

Will be there early so better to have a look first and if I can't see I'll have a look while on the rollers

SpecB 19-02-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 153940)
Do you want the din pocket I texted you ?

Knew I needed to reply to something! I'm ok thanks, planning to make a blanking plate for switches/mounting the KS3 properly.

bonner 19-02-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 153941)
Will be there early so better to have a look first and if I can't see I'll have a look while on the rollers

thanks again bud! im goin to try get there early as the traffic is goinvto be bad!

GB270Adam 19-02-2013 07:17 PM

Sorry to hear your still having problems with it mate, fingers crossed its a simple problem and easliy fixed, what time are you heading off to SRR tomorrow? As it now looks like I'm off all this week so was thinking of taking a drive up there and having a nose.

bonner 19-02-2013 08:52 PM

cheers adam!! been a nightmare just as i thought problem solved!! im goin to set off about 7 mate! and hopfully miss some traffic would be good if you can join us mate im on me tod lol give us a shout if you fancie it and sort out somewhere we can meet?

GB270Adam 19-02-2013 09:02 PM

7? Wow your keen mate :lol: where abouts are you coming from?

bonner 19-02-2013 09:52 PM

eastbourne mate! its a good 80 miles according to my satnav unless its pulling my plonka? im always keen bud!! if i had more cash for food id leave now then buy some kfc eat myself to sleep when i got there!!!

GB270Adam 19-02-2013 10:07 PM

Well its about 60 miles from me in Hove so your sat-nav is right I'd say, I was gonna look at heading up there about 9-ish, hopefully the traffic would of calmed down by then.

bonner 19-02-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB270Adam (Post 154000)
Well its about 60 miles from me in Hove so your sat-nav is right I'd say, I was gonna look at heading up there about 9-ish, hopefully the traffic would of calmed down by then.

lovely stuff! ok mate il see you there then! want to try miss most of traffic as i cant afford all the stop start with a leak lol!!

GB270Adam 19-02-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonner (Post 154003)
lovely stuff! ok mate il see you there then! want to try miss most of traffic as i cant afford all the stop start with a leak lol!!

Makes sense mate, shall see you up there :ok:

Steve_PPP 20-02-2013 12:04 AM

If you're going to SRR on a weekday, the last thing you want to do is set off from Eastbourne at 7am. Rush hour on the M25? Its been a mare most mornings lately according to the travel news (that i listen to on my quiet commute along the back roads ;))

bonner 20-02-2013 06:27 AM

cheers for the heads up steve! what sort of time would you recomend leaving?

SpecB 20-02-2013 07:11 AM

I don't use the motorway at all to get there, go the back way via guildford and Woking.

bonner 20-02-2013 07:22 AM

cheers buddy! il have a ganders on the sat nav! i take it shortest route would be better that quickest due to the m25?