South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Car / Scooby Chat (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Exhaust Flame Kit (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=16981)

Martin H 06-12-2013 07:31 PM

Exhaust Flame Kit

Hi I am wondering does anybody know of any companies that will supply and fit an exhaust flame kit on my Scooby? Also will it produce a good effect & how big would the flames be as I am running an 02 WRX with a sports cat on it, If there are no companies out there that could supply and fit the exhaust flame kit would anyone be willing to fit the kit for me if and when I bought it? Cheers in advance people. :ok:

bonner 06-12-2013 07:36 PM

I wouldnt bother mate why not just go fully decat and get a map with antilag or some pops and bags lol

Granby 06-12-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 176907)
Hi I am wondering does anybody know of any companies that will supply and fit an exhaust flame kit on my Scooby? Also will it produce a good effect & how big would the flames be as I am running an 02 WRX with a sports cat on it, If there are no companies out there that could supply and fit the exhaust flame kit would anyone be willing to fit the kit for me if and when I bought it? Cheers in advance people. :ok:

You need a decat & atmo dump valve for a flamer to work

harvey05 06-12-2013 07:53 PM

first you need a time mechine to travel back to when they where cool. but thinking about they where crap back then too

Martin H 06-12-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonner (Post 176908)
I wouldnt bother mate why not just go fully decat and get a map with antilag or some pops and bags lol

Already had a map done lol running 260bhp at the mo :ok:

Martin H 06-12-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granby (Post 176910)
You need a decat & atmo dump valve for a flamer to work

Have read on the kits I have been looking at that they will work with a cat this is a quote from one of the companies that supplies them "My car has a catalytic converter, does this matter?
If a catalytic converter is installed on your vehicle to burn off excess fuel before it leaves the exhaust system, this may reduce the size of the exhaust flames because exhaust flame throwers rely on un burnt fuel. If you are looking to significantly improve or boost your exhaust flames, you can remove the converter (check local ordinances) or wait for its effectiveness to diminish"

Martin H 06-12-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvey05 (Post 176912)
first you need a time mechine to travel back to when they where cool. but thinking about they where crap back then too

LOL I want to get it for when I am showing the car at car shows that me and my mate go to together.

andy-m 06-12-2013 08:19 PM

I believe they are illegal on a road car. only for a show car that is not driven on the road.

alfa male 06-12-2013 08:29 PM

Flame kits.........No no no! Pieces of chav ****e! IMO. Save your money and put it towards another mod.

scoobypat 06-12-2013 08:37 PM

all ive got is a blitz full decat system. get loads of flames

bonner 06-12-2013 08:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dEXO...e_gdata_player
Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 176915)
LOL I want to get it for when I am showing the car at car shows that me and my mate go to together.

Get one of these mate its a bee r limiter/launch control but tbh i wouldnt bother with the flames!

Martin H 06-12-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonner (Post 176926)

Get one of these mate its a bee r limiter/launch control but tbh i wouldnt bother with the flames!

Do you have a link for this mate looks wicked lol also it appears to be producing flames so does this also have a flame kit on it or jst the bee r limiter/launch control? Do you have any idea how this kit works and what it does?

bonner 06-12-2013 08:46 PM

It havent a clue mate! i just know a fella who brought one to fit and showed me the yt links but his engine went pop before fitting, have a butchers on ebay ive seen a few on there in the past!

Martin H 06-12-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonner (Post 176928)
It havent a clue mate! i just know a fella who brought one to fit and showed me the yt links but his engine went pop before fitting, have a butchers on ebay ive seen a few on there in the past!

yh found one on ebay £165 so would I be right in saying this is like a flame kit but much safer on the engine and it still produces flames?

Anger 06-12-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonner (Post 176926)

Everyone I know who had fitted one has then had a nice bill for a engine build

bonner 06-12-2013 08:59 PM

I couldnt tell you mate!! altho i remember being told it needed diodes conected to the coils ect!! best thing to do is google it mate or ask the fella on youtube! or ask scott im sure he cant tell you the ins and outs??

Martin H 06-12-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonner (Post 176931)
I couldnt tell you mate!! altho i remember being told it needed diodes conected to the coils ect!! best thing to do is google it mate or ask the fella on youtube! or ask scott im sure he cant tell you the ins and outs??

Hmmm engine rebuild don't sound too good, also do you mean Scott aka silversurfer?

bonner 06-12-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 176932)
Hmmm engine rebuild don't sound too good, also do you mean Scott aka silversurfer?

Your not wrong!! yeah silversurfer mate, youd be better off with antilag mate!

Martin H 06-12-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonner (Post 176933)
Your not wrong!! yeah silversurfer mate, youd be better off with antilag mate!

antilag what is that and what would it do if you know fella :ok:

555_Si 06-12-2013 09:15 PM

Flamed kit with cat will kill the cat.

bonner 06-12-2013 09:17 PM

Look it up on youtube mate! if you like what it does speak to simon (jgm) he can map it in for you? im not to clever on this but im sure someone on here has got antilag/launch control that can give you all the details ect!! Tbh its better to have mapped in rather than buying boltons or you would probly end up like some of angers pals forking out for a new engine!!

Scott.T 06-12-2013 09:53 PM

Unless the car is mapped to throw fuel out the exhaust when you lift off the throttle (the standard map stops injecting fuel when the throttle is closed, until the rpm drops to around 1500rpm), then the flames will be small and you will have to rag it to death to see any flames worth pointing at in a car park.
The CAT will also limit the amount of fuel getting as far as the exhaust tip.

A flamer kit is just a sparkplug mounted in the tailpipe (and you need a bloody good drill bit to do that on a stainless pipe) where it leaves the last exhaust silencer. You are then provided with a coil, wiring and a dash switch.

When switched on, the spark plug is continuously fired and therefore should ignite any spare fuel coming out the back. However when you switch it on you can hear the plug firing and it sounds mighty strange, like a high frequency oven/hob lighter.

Come to think of it a cheaper option would be to put the wife in the boot and she can hang out the back with one of these :
http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argo...6UC952701M.jpg

Martin H 06-12-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 176940)
Unless the car is mapped to throw fuel out the exhaust when you lift off the throttle (the standard map stops injecting fuel when the throttle is closed, until the rpm drops to around 1500rpm), then the flames will be small and you will have to rag it to death to see any flames worth pointing at in a car park.
The CAT will also limit the amount of fuel getting as far as the exhaust tip.

A flamer kit is just a sparkplug mounted in the tailpipe (and you need a bloody good drill bit to do that on a stainless pipe) where it leaves the last exhaust silencer. You are then provided with a coil, wiring and a dash switch.

When switched on, the spark plug is continuously fired and therefore should ignite any spare fuel coming out the back. However when you switch it on you can hear the plug firing and it sounds mighty strange, like a high frequency oven/hob lighter.

Come to think of it a cheaper option would be to put the wife in the boot and she can hang out the back with one of these :
http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argo...6UC952701M.jpg

Ok Scot what is a antilag map and roughly how much would that cost & would the flames produced be quite large? Also is the antilag map safe on the engine? Also is a flame kit safe to use when the car has a sports cat will it damage the cat?

SpecB 07-12-2013 07:23 AM

Pops and bangs on over-run are simply due to over fuelling as explained by Scott, these can under the right conditions become flames from the exhaust, a mapped in anti-lag system enhances this effect and gives the potential for more flames.

Most mapped anti-lag solutions work by retarding the ignition and altering injector behaviour, proper anti-lag requires significant changes to inlet/exhaust systems.

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antilag_system

Any anti-lag system will shorten turbocharger and possibly engine life especially if not mapped in properly - exhaust temps soar with use!

And flamer kits belong on Saxos from the early 2000's

Steve_PPP 07-12-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 176950)
Also is a flame kit safe to use when the car has a sports cat will it damage the cat?

Yes it will damage the cat, hence....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin H (Post 176914)
"If you are looking to significantly improve or boost your exhaust flames, you can remove the converter (check local ordinances) or wait for its effectiveness to diminish"

lol, wait for its effectiveness to diminish? I.e. ruin it so that you won't pass your next MOT....

Don't bother imo, spend the money on something else to improve the car.

Martin H 07-12-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye (Post 176951)
Pops and bangs on over-run are simply due to over fuelling as explained by Scott, these can under the right conditions become flames from the exhaust, a mapped in anti-lag system enhances this effect and gives the potential for more flames.

Most mapped anti-lag solutions work by retarding the ignition and altering injector behaviour, proper anti-lag requires significant changes to inlet/exhaust systems.

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antilag_system

Any anti-lag system will shorten turbocharger and possibly engine life especially if not mapped in properly - exhaust temps soar with use!

And flamer kits belong on Saxos from the early 2000's

Thankyou very much for answering my question I have left a message with Simon (JGM) so will wait to hear back from him and go from there :ok:

Martin H 07-12-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 176975)
Yes it will damage the cat, hence....

lol, wait for its effectiveness to diminish? I.e. ruin it so that you won't pass your next MOT....

Don't bother imo, spend the money on something else to improve the car.

Cheers Steve am kind of gutted tho as would like to have flames coming out of my exhaust have been told about antilag mapping by BlueBugEye and he also said "Any anti-lag system will shorten turbocharger and possibly engine life especially if not mapped in properly - exhaust temps soar with use!" Would this method achieve flames coming from the exhaust and would it be safe on the turbocharger & engine?? Also how do you do multiple quote's in a single message lol???

drakesnow 08-12-2013 04:17 PM

Just have some fuel overun mapped in :) (as suggested)