South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Project Family Wagon (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=23032)

NL03Scooby 08-02-2019 06:25 AM

Good results, nothing beats that first drive after a few modifications and a map.

One of my favourite changes when I went through a similar process was changing to a de-cat down pipe, freeing up some noise was probably more exciting then freeing up power and spool.

As mentioned, be sure to try and source the matching undertray for the intercooler, they were designed to work in tandem and give the best results possible.

IBenjieI 08-02-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NL03Scooby (Post 248043)
Good results, nothing beats that first drive after a few modifications and a map.

One of my favourite changes when I went through a similar process was changing to a de-cat down pipe, freeing up some noise was probably more exciting then freeing up power and spool.

As mentioned, be sure to try and source the matching undertray for the intercooler, they were designed to work in tandem and give the best results possible.

The deep tone from the exhaust is so nice now, it really sounds like a Scoob should. Turbo spool is a little quicker and whistles too, also puts a grin on my face!

I’ll have a look on eBay today for the scoop and undertray. Will the car need a map tweak with the new top mount? Not sure if there will be a change in boost pressure or not. I’m not sure where to find the correct silicone hose for the y-pipe either... :lol:

boggissimo 08-02-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBenjieI (Post 248044)
I’ll have a look on eBay today for the scoop and undertray. Will the car need a map tweak with the new top mount? Not sure if there will be a change in boost pressure or not. I’m not sure where to find the correct silicone hose for the y-pipe either... :lol:

Finding the scoop in the right colour is the hard bit, it took me ages to get one in 48w. Looks like yours is 02g which is a bit easier to find, but only a hawk scoop will fit AFAIK (certainly a hawk scoop wouldn't fit my blob, so assume it's the same in reverse)

scooby doo 08-02-2019 09:25 AM

The Scoop on a Hawkeye from wrx to Sti is the same so no need to worry its the under tray, try matty on S'net around £60 for the undertray you need.

IBenjieI 08-02-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boggissimo (Post 248046)
Finding the scoop in the right colour is the hard bit, it took me ages to get one in 48w. Looks like yours is 02g which is a bit easier to find, but only a hawk scoop will fit AFAIK (certainly a hawk scoop wouldn't fit my blob, so assume it's the same in reverse)

As Scooby doo just said, I don’t need to worry about the scoop apparently so that’s one less thing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby doo (Post 248049)
The Scoop on a Hawkeye from wrx to Sti is the same so no need to worry its the under tray, try matty on S'net around £60 for the undertray you need.

I’ll have a look. Thanks mate 👍 Also as I’ve asked further up, will it need a remap for the cooler? Not sure if there will be a difference to boost or not. Cheers.

scooby doo 08-02-2019 09:46 AM

Best to ask you mapper, but i doubt it will as its not a big change in volume compared to going Fmic, but always best to ask the mapper.

IBenjieI 08-02-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby doo (Post 248052)
Best to ask you mapper, but i doubt it will as its not a big change in volume compared to going Fmic, but always best to ask the mapper.

Will drop Duncan a message. Thanks mate.

IBenjieI 13-02-2019 10:14 AM

Finally got around to fitting my newly sprayed centre console and fascias, looks really nice in gloss black. However, I can see me becoming obsessed with keeping the finger prints off! :lol:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7854/...3750d398_c.jpg

On another update side, the car is booked into SMD in Newhaven on Friday to have some Tein lowering springs fitted. After the incident with the intercooler hoses and clamps loose, Brent phoned me to apologise and offered some gratuitous labour as a way of saying sorry.

I did say to him this was unnecessary as 99.9% of the time the car comes out of SMD with nothing wrong. But he insisted, so I'm taking him up on the offer and having the car lowered. It should drop the standard height by around 25-30mm :ok:

Rdlangy1 13-02-2019 10:16 AM

Nice offer from SMD there :ok:

Will look nice lowered and handle much nicer as well :ok:

scooby doo 13-02-2019 11:14 AM

Looks Good, The JDM switch looks good against the black too.

Steve_PPP 13-02-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBenjieI (Post 248102)
After the incident with the intercooler hoses and clamps loose, Brent phoned me to apologise and offered some gratuitous labour as a way of saying sorry.

Nice... fair enough, mistakes happen sometimes. It's how they deal with it that makes the difference between a good company and a bad one :)

Not many garages would spot something on a forum and proactively phone a customer with an apology and and offer like that :ok:

Frenchie 13-02-2019 04:10 PM

Agree,really good of them.Most people know my opinion re SMD and Brent, best service I have ever found and wouldn't use anyone else. Even travelled over from France to have some mods fitted to my new STi

IBenjieI 15-02-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 248107)
Nice... fair enough, mistakes happen sometimes. It's how they deal with it that makes the difference between a good company and a bad one :)

Not many garages would spot something on a forum and proactively phone a customer with an apology and and offer like that :ok:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 248108)
Agree,really good of them.Most people know my opinion re SMD and Brent, best service I have ever found and wouldn't use anyone else. Even travelled over from France to have some mods fitted to my new STi

Fully agreed with the above comments, this is why I use Brent. He's good at what he does, he loves what he does and always treats the customers car like his own. I will never use anyone else.

Speaking of which, just got home after picking the car up from SMD. I've had Tein S Tech lowering springs fitted and full geometry set up carried out, along with a road test.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7895/...515959b1_c.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7893/...3fbeb9d9_c.jpg

Much better! Handles really well and looks really mean, I like. :ok: Now I just need a new set of wheels :lol:

Brent sorted me out with 50% off the labour as promised, he also resecured my intercooler and put brand new hose clips on the silicone collar. Once again, showing why we use him. :ok:

IBenjieI 15-02-2019 03:46 PM

Ok, so now I have more power and a more aggressive stance I’m looking into a nice new set of wheels. I know the PCD is 5x100, but which offsets will COMFORTABLY fit the Hawk Wagon? Obviously more offsets give me more choice for wheels, really tied on what to choose at the moment!

scooby doo 15-02-2019 05:41 PM

will you be likely to fit larger brakes in the future ? If so think of clearance when choosing them.
I'm looking at a new set for mine but staying 17inch So 17x8 et48 clears the brembo calipers . Stock v7-8 sti is Et53

IBenjieI 15-02-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby doo (Post 248196)
will you be likely to fit larger brakes in the future ? If so think of clearance when choosing them.
I'm looking at a new set for mine but staying 17inch So 17x8 et48 clears the brembo calipers . Stock v7-8 sti is Et53

Not really likely to go for a bigger brake set up in the future so would be looking for stock fitments, 17 inches more than likely. ET48 I’ve seen a lot of...

scooby doo 15-02-2019 06:44 PM

You will find plenty that fit fine for stock wrx calipers.

IBenjieI 15-02-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby doo (Post 248198)
You will find plenty that fit fine for stock wrx calipers.

Awesome. Thanks mate :ok:

boggissimo 16-02-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBenjieI (Post 248197)
Not really likely to go for a bigger brake set up in the future so would be looking for stock fitments, 17 inches more than likely. ET48 I’ve seen a lot of...

If you ever plan on taking it on track, I would really recommend considering uprated brakes. One of the best mods I've made to my wagon. There's a lot of car to stop!

If you're already going to get new wheels, it would future proof you to get some that would go over Brembos.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Rdlangy1 16-02-2019 07:09 AM

As above - STi Brembo brakes would make a huge difference :ok:

IBenjieI 16-02-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boggissimo (Post 248216)
If you ever plan on taking it on track, I would really recommend considering uprated brakes. One of the best mods I've made to my wagon. There's a lot of car to stop!

If you're already going to get new wheels, it would future proof you to get some that would go over Brembos.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 (Post 248217)
As above - STi Brembo brakes would make a huge difference :ok:

Staying 17” then and with the above in mind, et48 would be my best bet?

scooby doo 16-02-2019 09:59 AM

It depends on the wheel. Rota grids in 17inch will not clear brembos According to mags on s'net (wheel dude) yet rota fighters/ boost 17x8 Et48 clear.
Prodrive ppf7 or reps look cool but 18in but regularly come up for sale at good price, oem v7-8 sti wheels 17x7.5 et53 and no brake issues ,
Wheels are a very personal touch.
You don't have to swap brakes either if the car doesn't see track work. There's a range of good pad/disc/lines options for the oem 4pots that on the road will hold up well , but if your thinking of sti turbo etc and upping the power it would be a good move to swap to the larger sti calipers as they take the heat better.

IBenjieI 23-02-2019 03:27 PM

The little things really do make a difference, for as long as I've owned the car the nearside rear light cluster had signs of impact damage and condensation. I managed to source another set on a selling page for £40 delivered.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7804/...40780415_c.jpg

10 minutes later...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7815/...47bc4ef1_c.jpg

Much better :ok:

Ignore the dirt, the car has been washed since yesterday :lol:

Rdlangy1 23-02-2019 05:23 PM

Great job :ok:

IBenjieI 23-02-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 (Post 248356)
Great job :ok:

Cheers mate. Very slowly tidying bits up here and there. :ok:

IBenjieI 28-07-2019 04:03 PM

After a bit of information today more than anything. Currently running 290BHP so naturally looking for more power. I’m after a simple turbo upgrade to allow me to gain a few more ponies, without having to go silly and forge the engine. I’ve heard a VF36 would be a good choice?

Basically I’m after plug and play power. Money isn’t a huge issue, but I don’t want to be silly. I’m thinking max 350BHP for a daily.

Much love Amigos. <3

scooby doo 28-07-2019 04:27 PM

Be prepared to bombarded with different views as this is a personal choice and pick carefully , vf36 is a Twin scroll so you won’t be fitting that unless you want the task of a full Conversion.
Personally these are your options

VF43/48 designed for the 2.5 Sti theses come up cheap
Vf34/35 more the 2.ltr but should spool great on a 2.5
Td04 hybrid good for 320hp
Td05 18g
Sc36

IBenjieI 28-07-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby doo (Post 250101)
Be prepared to bombarded with different views as this is a personal choice and pick carefully , vf36 is a Twin scroll so you won’t be fitting that unless you want the task of a full Conversion.
Personally these are your options

VF43/48 designed for the 2.5 Sti theses come up cheap
Vf34/35 more the 2.ltr but should spool great on a 2.5
Td04 hybrid good for 320hp
Td05 18g
Sc36

Legend. That’s plenty to choose from, VF43/48 I think was the turbo I had in mind, no idea why I said VF36. Should be a simple swap considering they’re both 2.5’s. Although reading what you said, VF34/35 would be a good choice. I’ll keep an eye out for those ones. I’ll end up having the turbo rebuilt before fitting it, I want to make sure I’m not going to blow it up!

Thanks mate. :ok:

scooby doo 28-07-2019 05:13 PM

The vf35 was designed for the bug , blob sti type uk. Good for up to 350hp with all the mods needed. Will spool up nicely yours . It’s deffo worth getting them rebuilt I’ve bought a view turbos lately and they have failed as people selling duff bits seems to be on the high atm, there’s vf30 to bit better flow top end on the 35.

IBenjieI 28-07-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby doo (Post 250103)
The vf35 was designed for the bug , blob sti type uk. Good for up to 350hp with all the mods needed. Will spool up nicely yours . It’s deffo worth getting them rebuilt I’ve bought a view turbos lately and they have failed as people selling duff bits seems to be on the high atm, there’s vf30 to bit better flow top end on the 35.

I’m guessing the 35 wouldn’t be a really simple swap. I’m assuming the up-pipe is different as well as the exhaust headers.

For a fairly simple swap I’d probably end up using the VF48 for its updated bearing over the 43, not to mention the fact it’s come from the same engine.

scooby doo 28-07-2019 06:36 PM

All front entry 97 onwards single scroll turbos fit single scroll cars 97-15, up pipe fitment is the same , so you can take a 99 Sti turbo off and fit or take an 2011 turbo and fit it on.
What you can’t do is take a 03 jdm only Sti turbo and fit straight on with out a full swap.
So your headers and up pipe is fine and down pipe.
Vf22,23,24,28,29,30,34,35,43,48 all fit your car and are a direct swap
Vf36,37,42 do not fit straight on.
Td05 90d 1993-96 fit yet front cover needs modding
Td05 18g and 20g fit
Sc36,sc38 fit .
There are over vf’s like a 12 etc these are legacy’s and are not what you want.

IBenjieI 28-07-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby doo (Post 250105)
All front entry 97 onwards single scroll turbos fit single scroll cars 97-15, up pipe fitment is the same , so you can take a 99 Sti turbo off and fit or take an 2011 turbo and fit it on.
What you can’t do is take a 03 jdm only Sti turbo and fit straight on with out a full swap.
So your headers and up pipe is fine and down pipe.
Vf22,23,24,28,29,30,34,35,43,48 all fit your car and are a direct swap
Vf36,37,42 do not fit straight on.
Td05 90d 1993-96 fit yet front cover needs modding
Td05 18g and 20g fit
Sc36,sc38 fit .
There are over vf’s like a 12 etc these are legacy’s and are not what you want.

This is fantastic information, thanks mate. <3

IBenjieI 29-07-2019 08:13 PM

Well, ****.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6fbd3343_c.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3b77c057_c.jpg

Travelling on the A27 this afternoon, Golden Jubilee Roundabout in Eastbourne.

Dutch driver never gave way and used the left lane to go round the roundabout, collided with the side of my car. Another one bites the dust :cry:

Rdlangy1 29-07-2019 08:56 PM

Ahhhhh man!!!!

U ok though?

IBenjieI 29-07-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 (Post 250124)
Ahhhhh man!!!!

U ok though?

Absolutely gutted and really pissed off. But otherwise I'm OK. Luckily my little boy wasn't in the car, I was showered with glass from the passenger door. It's now waiting on my insurance company to assess it, I'm hoping the B pillar is fine, I want to salvage the car. Low mileage, FSH, it's worth saving.

Thanks mate. Always wrong place wrong time.

Steve_PPP 29-07-2019 09:53 PM

Ah bugger :(

scotty 29-07-2019 10:18 PM

Man that is **** glad you are ok and hope you can save it .

asperformance 30-07-2019 08:26 AM

having had loads of hassle with insurance companies lately (and won) i can guaranteee that YOU can do whatever you need to with your car BUT make sure its in your possession and dont allow them to simply cart it off to a compound

IBenjieI 30-07-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asperformance (Post 250129)
having had loads of hassle with insurance companies lately (and won) i can guaranteee that YOU can do whatever you need to with your car BUT make sure its in your possession and dont allow them to simply cart it off to a compound

Unfortunately I didn’t get much of a choice yesterday, the Police called a recovery firm who picked it up. So now unfortunately it’s waiting on the insurance company recovering it from them. The costs would be too high at this point for me to simply go and get it :cry:

IBenjieI 30-07-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asperformance (Post 250129)

Managed to get my car back home today and it cost me £310 which the insurance company are more than happy to pay! It would have cost more than that for them to get it to Canterbury where they store them.

I had a look today and it's literally just two doors, skirt and passenger seat (air bag went off). There's very minor dents in the bodywork underneath the skirt, and the rear passenger door ripped at the hinge where it joins the door. Luckily it wasn't at the B pillar. Now comes the fun part of negotiation with the insurance company over costs etc but as there's no chassis damage, I will repair the car. I'll use the same guy who did the bumpers for me last Jan. They still want to write it off though, but it's a question of how much I get for the car minus the salvage costs. Then there's also the cost of parts etc. Wagons are rare, let alone in this trim. :cry:

Doesn't seem that people like my car too much as they keep hitting it! FML.