South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Videos (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   liam doran at his best (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=13577)

Stewby 01-04-2012 12:11 AM

liam doran at his best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ztJd...ure=plpp_video

worzel 01-04-2012 02:58 PM

Jesus! That was like some trophy Andros cornering :yeah:

Gavsti555 01-04-2012 04:32 PM

Looks more like D1 than rally cross lol.

Steve_PPP 01-04-2012 10:12 PM

would have been ever better if he'd planned it ;)

great bit of tv footage, but i suspect the other cars got out the of the throttle mid-corner in case he span right across in front of them! :drive:

tbtstt 02-04-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 127987)
would have been ever better if he'd planned it ;)

great bit of tv footage, but i suspect the other cars got out the of the throttle mid-corner in case he span right across in front of them! :drive:

+1

Although the above video looks cool, it was as much (if not more) luck than judgment, plus if Koutny in the Mk.6 Fez on the outside hadn't backed off, either he or Procter would punted him straight into the wall.

Not to say that Liam didn't have some cracking drives in 2010, but I'd rate his win in Poland...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCvL93ZcKwg

...where he took 1st despite two heavy contacts that weren't really his fault (for once ;)) over the cool looking cornering video.

I hope Liam finds his 2010 pace again this year, as I thought he went off the boil a bit in 2011.

Stewby 02-04-2012 10:10 PM

even if it was luck , that's some car control whoop :)

Skullfudge 02-04-2012 10:55 PM

Are the Doran's still funding all this motorsport from the sale of PD's recycling business ? ............. because owning Lydden track won't make anyone rich.

Stewby 02-04-2012 11:34 PM

i would of thought they used that a while ago but it was a multi million pound business ,lots of sponsors involved nowadays .plus they have brought the circuit up to scratch and spent a hell of alot of money on it ,which shows , i love it especially as it on my doorstep :)

tbtstt 03-04-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullfudge (Post 128112)
Are the Doran's still funding all this motorsport from the sale of PD's recycling business ? ............. because owning Lydden track won't make anyone rich.

Not sure where the money is coming from, but it must be flowing from somewhere.

Pat bought a second RS200 last year (the car Liam will be taking up Pikes Peak) and he is having a DS3 built for use in the BRC this year.

As Stewby has said, they are still pouring money into the Lydden circuit as well. I was there a week or so ago and they have reworked more spectator areas again (for the better may I add), so the circuit is still absorbing money.

Although a lot of the events there aren't huge, there is something on pretty much every weekend, so I guess it is trickling money in...

BIG"E" 03-04-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbtstt (Post 128124)

Although a lot of the events there aren't huge, there is something on pretty much every weekend, so I guess it is trickling money in...

What amazes me is the amount of money the competitors have to pay.

With the big events like the BRC and ERC I would have thought entry would be free to the drivers, at the end of the day if the drivers didnt turn up there would be nothing to spectate,

When you look around on a Bank Holiday for example and see how many peeps are there they must take a lot of money. :nod:

Stewby 03-04-2012 07:20 PM

And this bank holiday Monday is going to rammed with all the euros coming over , and for £20 is a small amount to pay with the amount of action , only wish my motogp ticket was the same price :-)

tbtstt 04-04-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 128187)
What amazes me is the amount of money the competitors have to pay.

With the big events like the BRC and ERC I would have thought entry would be free to the drivers, at the end of the day if the drivers didnt turn up there would be nothing to spectate

You could make the same argument with any race series though, couldn't you really?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 128187)
When you look around on a Bank Holiday for example and see how many peeps are there they must take a lot of money. :nod:

Yeah, the ERC is by far the biggest event there and must get them some good money. Having said that, they've had to splash out a lot on the track to get the ERC event back there and the vast majority of events there in the rest of the year don't get anywhere near the same level of turnout.

As a spectator Lydden is, at present, one of the few circuits where I don't feel like the prices are taking the piss (yet). The
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewby (Post 128211)
And this bank holiday Monday is going to rammed with all the euros coming over , and for £20 is a small amount to pay with the amount of action , only wish my motogp ticket was the same price :-)

Ha, yeah! GP tickets are almost £70 this year, aren't they?

Stewby 04-04-2012 07:07 PM

£75 for a roaming grandstand ticket , but still wouldn't miss it :-)

tbtstt 11-04-2012 11:48 AM

And now, Liam Doran at his very worst...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbOSaFkSAgQ

...making contact with another car after crossing the finish line. :wa:

Unless there was something occuring in the car we are not aware of, I find it hard to imagine how that swerve after the flag can be justified: or how such behaviour can go unpunished.

Steve_PPP 11-04-2012 12:22 PM

Yeah, that looks like a guy who's raging inside the car and decided to take revenge as the earliest opportunity....

Not very clever.

Bolesroor 11-04-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 128938)
Yeah, that looks like a guy who's raging inside the car and decided to take revenge as the earliest opportunity....

Not very clever.

:agreed:

Scottie :) 11-04-2012 04:02 PM

I was standing just the other side from when he did that - think it was meant to be a warning tap as the other driver knocked him off prior to the restart. But Liam Doran was so inconsistant all day - but is quick once he gets going :) its all about Faust :doubleup:

tbtstt 11-04-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie :) (Post 128955)
I was standing just the other side from when he did that - think it was meant to be a warning tap as the other driver knocked him off prior to the restart. But Liam Doran was so inconsistant all day - but is quick once he gets going :) its all about Faust :doubleup:

The other driver knocked him off prior to the restart? Liam got spun after the start of the second restart and the collision with Lindefjell happened at the end of the same race. You could argue that Lindefjell did make an aggressive cut across the lines of cars in both the first run of heat 2 and the restart, but Lindefjell had a better start and was very nearly a car length ahead of Liam. Seeing he was coming across and he had almost a car length on him, Liam could have braked, but he held his line and got spun out as a consequence.

As for giving a "warning tap", he's a driver, not a judge. ;) Punishment (if needed) should be handed out by the authorities, not by drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie :) (Post 128955)
But Liam Doran was so inconsistant all day - but is quick once he gets going :) its all about Faust :doubleup:

Agreed and agreed. Liam was jap dropping in the first heat, absolutely on the ragged edge. He looked messy at the start of the second heat (after the restart), but pulled in a huge amount on Lindefjell after the spin. The third heat was very hit-and-miss as well. We did at least get a good idea how quick the DS3 can be.

Bar one error in the timed practise Foust looked quick the whole weekend. Fast and very tidy. A well deserved winner I would say. :nod:

Scottie :) 11-04-2012 05:02 PM

Agreed :)