South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Wheels,Tyres & Brakes (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   What wheels (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=1329)

iain1502 26-04-2009 07:56 AM

What wheels

Hi,
I have a 1996 V-Limited Scoob and I would like to change my 15" rims for a set of 17", however there are a lot of different types of rims out there would anyone be able to tell me which types of rims that will fit on to my scoob?

Cheers

Iain

BIG"E" 26-04-2009 08:46 AM

Re: What wheels

I am not mechanically minded at all,

but why not go for 18"s ?

2-jaffacake-tone 26-04-2009 08:54 AM

bigger isnt always better ian lol

imo 18'' on a classic are too big, they tram line evrey where and give a poor ride. 17'' would be best. :nod:

Crowman 26-04-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG E
I am not mechanically minded at all,

but why not go for 18"s ?

I have had 17's and 18's over the years.
Personally i think 18's look the nuts, but 17's give better ride.

BIG"E" 26-04-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2-jaffacake-tone
bigger isnt always better ian lol

imo 18'' on a classic are too big, they tram line every where and give a poor ride. 17'' would be best. :nod:

Thanks Tone for clearing that up for me, I thought there must be a reason.

I bow to your superior knowledge. :doubleup:

Steve_PPP 26-04-2009 09:38 AM

have you thought about a set of newage 17" wrx alloys? they really suit the classics, and fairly easy to pick a set up :nod:

Cath 26-04-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP
have you thought about a set of newage 17" wrx alloys? they really suit the classics, and fairly easy to pick a set up :nod:

How about, you hurry up and make a decision on what your getting and sell yours to Iain :getmecoat:

Scott.T 26-04-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

I disagree, newage on a classic look wrong and look exactly that i.e newage on a classic.....nothing special, not that wide and the offset puts them in too far compare to aftermarkey rims.

Best 17's for a Classic are :
Prodrive SpeedLine ST2's 5-spokes
Prodrive P-WRC (P1 Alloys)

http://www.rarerims.co.uk have a nice selection.

18's are fine on a classic but you need to be carefull with width and offest. ET48 on a 7.5inch rim (215/35 Tyres) or ET51 minimum on an 8inch rim (225/35 Tyres).
Also go for a tyre with a softer sidewall i.e not Bridgestone but something like Toyo or Falken. If you have too hard a sidewall on the 18's you will regret it.

BIG"E" 26-04-2009 07:32 PM

From the web site Silver surfer posted,

The P1 bronze. :10:

2-jaffacake-tone 26-04-2009 08:35 PM

yer likeing them p1 bronze, mine are being refurbed towards the end of the build, maybe a change of colour :whistle:

Steve_PPP 26-04-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cath
How about, you hurry up and make a decision on what your getting and sell yours to Iain :getmecoat:

:rofl:

i'm sure i'll make my mind up soon :mrgreen:

majorscooby 26-04-2009 09:21 PM

I must admit i do prefer the look of my 18's but the cornering was a better feel on my 17's! :drive:

iain1502 26-04-2009 10:48 PM

Thank you all for your help - you have given some food for thought there.
Let the hunt begin.

iain1502 11-05-2009 08:58 PM

Hello.

So I have purchased some new wheels and they will soon be delivered and quickly put on.
I will then be selling my old wheels, however before doing this I am after a little more informaion on what I will be selling.
Can anyone help.
The only markings on the wheel are.

JWL - Japan Light Alloy Wheel
VLA - Vehicle Inspection Association
620 kg
In the center there is an bird (eagle possilbly)

Can anyone tell me the make, what I should expect to get from them - they have plenty of rubber on them!!!

Thank you

Iain

worzel 11-05-2009 09:46 PM

I'm going to see Saj tomorrow, I know he has a set over there so I'll get the details for you and get him to give me a rough price you could expect for them.

iain1502 11-05-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worzel
I'm going to see Saj tomorrow, I know he has a set over there so I'll get the details for you and get him to give me a rough price you could expect for them.

Thank you.

iain1502 14-05-2009 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Quote:

I disagree, newage on a classic look wrong and look exactly that i.e newage on a classic.....nothing special, not that wide and the offset puts them in too far compare to aftermarkey rims.

Best 17's for a Classic are :
Prodrive SpeedLine ST2's 5-spokes
Prodrive P-WRC (P1 Alloys)

http://www.rarerims.co.uk have a nice selection.

18's are fine on a classic but you need to be carefull with width and offest. ET48 on a 7.5inch rim (215/35 Tyres) or ET51 minimum on an 8inch rim (225/35 Tyres).
Also go for a tyre with a softer sidewall i.e not Bridgestone but something like Toyo or Falken. If you have too hard a sidewall on the 18's you will regret it.

Thank you for your advice on the wheels - Very much appreciated.
Iain

worzel 14-05-2009 09:18 AM

Mind like a sieve! :doh:

Worst thing is I can't remember the name Sajid gave for these, but he said that with good rubber you could easily get £400 - £500 for them.

He did however say that they would be hard to sell. It would have to be someone specifically looking for these.

iain1502 14-05-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Worst thing is I can't remember the name Sajid gave for these, but he said that with good rubber you could easily get £400 - £500 for them.

He did however say that they would be hard to sell. It would have to be someone specifically looking for these.

Thank you for this - Right time to sell some wheels

majorscooby 14-05-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iain1502
Quote:

Thank you for this - Right time to sell some wheels

Sell them on ebay but put a reserve of say, £450