South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Non Scooby / Non Car Related (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Potholes (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=22424)

Frenchie 28-03-2017 06:15 AM

Potholes

Just seen news on the BBC that if long term planning is not introduced very soon some roads will become beyond repair within 5 years and will have to be completely replaced or closed. Council defence was wet winters, too many cars and lack of funding.

BIG"E" 28-03-2017 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 235511)
Just seen news on the BBC that if long term planning is not introduced very soon some roads will become beyond repair within 5 years and will have to be completely replaced or closed. Council defence was wet winters, too many cars and lack of funding.

The roads here are getting worse year on year,

Looking forward to driving on some decent roads, the 19th May cant come soon enough.:doubleup:

Red Baron 28-03-2017 07:30 AM

There's a stretch I use on my daily drive where you have to drive down the middle of the road straddling the white line as the edge of the carriageway is so broken up, they've been patching it up for years and it just comes back worse than ever. In the last 5 years I've put bulges in 3 tyres, burst 2 and flat spotted a wheel.

Ferd 28-03-2017 08:07 AM

Don't worry, the UK will increase road and fuel tax to fix them :lol:

I've noticed here in Luxembourg they're taking a bit longer to come out to repair some holes, but generally it's still only a few days if the location is a dangerous spot.

I actually reported one the other week to the bus company where they had resurfaced the road alongside the bus shelter, but the parts surrounding a couple of man covers had sunk causing quite large dips (not really a pot-hole, but just as bad). When it was raining cars where simply soaking anyone standing in the shelter - including me when I didn't realise. Two days later it was fixed.

Rdlangy1 28-03-2017 08:23 AM

Must admit it was one of the nicest things about Germany - the roads were perfect!

Smooth, no litter, no potholes, just miles of lovely tarmac... :ok:

nikkinokkinoo 28-03-2017 09:14 AM

In a way I think its understandable that they have gotton so bad. Cars are so fat now and probably more grip with wider tyres so the tarmac must get much more of a pounding.

Have tarmac technologies moved on any - not a clue.

I guess we pay enough in taxes to get them all fixed, but a sports car on many roads now is just quite painful to drive. M3 has very low profile tyres on the 19's (going to be even lower soon) and it crashes over the bumps quite a lot.

Steve_PPP 28-03-2017 09:20 AM

You could look at it the other way - the wider the tyre, the larger the contact patch and the more the cars weight is distributed over the tarmac? I don't think its directly a grip/cornering issue as the worst potholes round here are all in straight bits of road.

More likely bad workmanship, and bad patching of previous holes. Everyone is looking to do a cheap job rather than a good job these days... :(

Ferd 28-03-2017 09:21 AM

The biggest issue in the UK is that they don't repair the roads properly, choosing to simply resurface and use the deadly "stone-chips", this doesn't last more than a few months, rather doing a proper job and removing more of the road surface and re-laying it to give a decent result.

Neil97rs 28-03-2017 09:26 AM

it will be nice to get on some good roads my car is not the most comfortable on the pothole ridden excuse for roads in the uk

scotty 28-03-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG"E" (Post 235512)
Looking forward to driving on some decent roads, the 19th May cant come soon enough.:doubleup:

:ok::drive:

scotty 28-03-2017 11:13 AM

Pot holes what are those:smile:

scixer6r 03-04-2017 08:29 PM

Highways don't have clue about giving repairs to qualified road repairers,am sure they just let whoever is cheapest do it,which is why there never seems to be any improvement.