South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   Engine Management (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Lambda sensor?? (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=176)

Gonza 21-09-2008 05:19 PM

Lambda sensor??

Afternoon all,

Looks like I might be after a lambda sensor for MY02 bug. My check engine light has popped on a couple of times during a fairly spirited drive. However, once cooled down and turning ign on and off a few times it does go away. I'm aware this may be the 'cat on fire' signal, but also told it may be the lambda playing up. I have got the PPP on here too but these have 2 sensors in the exhaust I'm led to believe??

My question is, should I keep getting this light coming on everytime I give it a bootfull (although it is if i've sped up quick more than 3 times in a row) or could it be the lambda playing up or giving funny emission readings???

If I was to buy one, is there a particular one to look for, as I've been told they have different amounts of wires etc etc and where would the best place be to get one of these...

Many thanks,

Rich

DukeBoy 21-09-2008 08:57 PM

Re: Lambda sensor??

I have a good second hand one you could try/buy (make me an offer), as i brought a genuine subaru one for my bug (£350)....but found the problem elsewhere :oops:

Gonza 22-09-2008 02:16 PM

I think my first step will be to check the codes I guess... what did yours turn out to be in the end if you don't mind me asking?

Many thanks,

Rich

Scott.T 22-09-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonza
I think my first step will be to check the codes I guess... what did yours turn out to be in the end if you don't mind me asking?

Many thanks,

Rich

Go on...tell him...... :rofl:

DukeBoy 22-09-2008 07:29 PM

Cough Cough.....cant remember now :oops:

The fuel pressure reg pipe was off....if i remember right it was bringing up P0170 lean exhaust

Gonza 22-09-2008 09:00 PM

Lol, so I guess it wasn't as expensive as you thought?

Mine has been fine for last couple of days, and when the light does come on, the car does not run any different at all.

I will say though, I only recently changed from the classic to the bug, and the power deivery I find quite different, almost like in some gears it does not want to go at all, even up to 5 - 6k, then change into next gear and it pulls like a train.... certainly takes a bit more time to kick in, but when it does... weyheeey!! Smiles all round... I guess this is different turbo characteristics etc??

Rich

DukeBoy 22-09-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

You wouldn't believe how much that pipe cost me :doh:

Get the code checked to see what it's throwing up....mine felt like it ran no different when the light came on, but there was obviously a problem there....so best get it checked :nod:

Scott.T 22-09-2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeBoy
Quote:

You wouldn't believe how much that pipe cost me :doh:

Get the code checked to see what it's throwing up....mine felt like it ran no different when the light came on, but there was obviously a problem there....so best get it checked :nod:

Those Front O2 sensors are expensive as they are a sudo wideband sensor, about £250 IIRC so you need to be sure it is at fault and it isn't (as Rich found out), just a loose pipe or a loose clip causing extra air to be pulled into the system.

Check all your air hoses, big and small from turbo, inlet and intercooler etc... and also check the fuel pressure reg hose. As this is known to go brittle and crack.

If your near Hastings I can read out the code for you, as it could be a number of things i.e misfire code as the 02 WRX ECU only allows 2 misfires before throwing the CEL (funny enough they put this up to 10 on the later ECU).

C. J. 23-09-2008 12:17 PM

I have a code reader if you want it readand I'm a little closer