South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Mechanics (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Suspension parts (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=19917)

captain slow 11-04-2015 06:51 PM

Suspension parts

Hi guys, can anyone point me in the direction of a good scoob breaker pls for my 53 wrx, I need various parts of suspension including front wishbones etc, n/side door mirror after it got broken,
As much as I'd like to I can't really afford to spend loads of cash on all new bits as finances don't stretch far enough,
Thanks in advance of any help

Red Baron 11-04-2015 07:05 PM

Not exactly local but the nearest I can think of is Jap Performance Parts in Crawley, unfortunately he isn't cheap either but would be cheaper than buying new, otherwise it's taking the risk of buying through ebay, scoobynet etc.

Shane

Scott.T 11-04-2015 07:31 PM

Just get standard bits from www.camskill.co.uk

captain slow 11-04-2015 07:33 PM

yea thanks, I saw their website but unless I'm wrong, it seems to me that u buy the car and break it yourself,
I had to change my front pads today and I noticed the n/s wishbone has a crack next to the weld line, it would appear that there was a recall on them from what I read online,
I called the previous owner but he never heard about the recall so it was not addressed,

C. J. 11-04-2015 07:47 PM

Have some alloy front alloy wish bones with updated bushes in the garage

Red Baron 11-04-2015 07:51 PM

Drop into Culverwells, they should do it, it was a known problem and a recall from Subaru I believe. I thought youd had a bump and damaged it, JPP have most bits on the shelf, they can't list it all. I work round the corner so if you call them and agree a price on anything I can collect for you.

Shane

captain slow 11-04-2015 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 205804)
Have some alloy front alloy wish bones with updated bushes in the garage

Fantastic, thanks,would they fit as scoob in picture is different to mine, mine is blob wagon, also, how much you want for them?

C. J. 11-04-2015 07:56 PM

£70 with out the bushes or £100 with there the anti lift end so just unbolt

captain slow 11-04-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Baron (Post 205805)
Drop into Culverwells, they should do it, it was a known problem and a recall from Subaru I believe. I thought youd had a bump and damaged it, JPP have most bits on the shelf, they can't list it all. I work round the corner so if you call them and agree a price on anything I can collect for you.

Shane

Thanks, I'll need to wait till Monday now anyway so will call them to find out,

C. J. 11-04-2015 08:00 PM

And mines a bug underneath 😉

captain slow 11-04-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. J. (Post 205807)
£70 with out the bushes or £100 with there the anti lift end so just unbolt

sounds like a plan to me, how would I get them from you

C. J. 11-04-2015 08:15 PM

Can drop off at red barons work if his ok with that ?

Red Baron 11-04-2015 08:20 PM

No problem, may look a but strange outside Thales gates but can do the County Oak retail park opposite.

Red Baron 11-04-2015 08:23 PM

May be worth checking with Culverwells first though, don't mean to spoil your sale Chris but you've got to admit it would be a shame to not get the work done for free if they will do it.

C. J. 11-04-2015 08:34 PM

See you in the morning

555_Si 11-04-2015 10:44 PM

Wagon has a narrower track so wheels will stick out slightly further, plus you will have to change drop links, all fits as have done this with mine.

Steve_PPP 12-04-2015 09:20 AM

As Shane says, if your steel arms haved failed Subaru are still offering the recall and will replace them free of charge (and no labour charge).

captain slow 12-04-2015 11:15 AM

Thanks again to all you guys for advice and help, just been to CJ and got the wishbones he had, nice to meet another new guy,
Will call Culverwells in morning to find out if anything can be done, if so, I may get it done and ebay the w/bones to get cash back, but there is a bit of me that thinks this could happen again unless they sorted corrosion problem, if so they should well outlast the car for the rest of its life, so probably prudent to hold on to them for the moment but my head says alloy components are better as they corrosion free

:thanx:

captain slow 13-04-2015 09:00 PM

Subaru recall result

Please forgive me all but i feel i need to have a bit of a rant, its my first one, am I allowed?:fight:

Bolesroor 13-04-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain slow (Post 205966)
Please forgive me all but i feel i need to have a bit of a rant, its my first one, am I allowed?:fight:

Ooh please rant.......;-)

captain slow 13-04-2015 09:41 PM

Subaru result

I called Culverwells this morning.
They looked up my wagon by registration and vin number and it shows that the car answered the recall on 26 April 2012.
The parts were changed and they say case closed, but the very same problem has happened again.
I asked how this can be case closed when the exact problem has happened again, 3yrs after the first time that lasted 10yrs.
I was told that they have to do "investigation work", this entails firing a pin into the wishbone area affected by the recall and then sending the results to Subaru, then they decide if it qualifies to be done.
The investigation work is at a cost of £80 + per hr, they said that if it qualifies, the replacement work and parts are free, but I have to pay for the investigation, £80 x 4hrs = £320.00
Seeing as this is no one's design prob but Subaru, why should I have to pay for the investigation work if it's their problem.
It took me less than 20 mins to take the wheel off and find this problem, so what takes 4hrs?
I think it means that no matter what happens they get their labour cost covered so with that in mind, even if I get the parts (drop links etc) from main dealer, I surely have to go the way of the wishbones I got from CJ on sunday morn.

Sorry for the rant, but it doesn't seem right to me!!!:fight::fight:

Scott.T 13-04-2015 09:53 PM

Are you sure you have to pay for the investigation if the results come back in your favour.
Other manufacturers ask for payment for a test, which is then refunded if the work needs to be done. This then prevents everyone jumping in demanding a test for every little niggle and gripe.

captain slow 13-04-2015 10:00 PM

subaru result

I'm afraid so, I checked and questioned them on it, they said labour to fix was free but any investigation work was chargeable.
I do know that main dealers of any manufacturer work in a world of their own but this seems unfair

Scott.T 13-04-2015 10:28 PM

Next time someone questions your workmanship tell them you will come and check it for £300. Then see how long you stay in business.

555_Si 13-04-2015 11:20 PM

To be honest I have a very dim view of Subaru and their dealer network. After dealing with BMW, vw, Audi and ford over the years I was quite shocked at Subaru.

captain slow 14-04-2015 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 205977)
Next time someone questions your workmanship tell them you will come and check it for £300. Then see how long you stay in business.

Sounds crazy eh? But that's what they asked for, never mind, will get the new drop links and change to the ones I got from CJ,
Are the drop links I need for the sti or a different model

C. J. 14-04-2015 07:29 AM

Pm Si as his done it

captain slow 14-04-2015 07:32 AM

Ok no prob, and thanks again to you all for help

555_Si 14-04-2015 09:45 AM

You need the drop links for a Sti yeah, alloy arms ones, from memory the are small straight rod with bolts at both ends at 180 degrees to each other, I got mine second hand. If the arms came with an anti lift kit you need to have the subframe spacers and longer bolts, as you usually have to lower the subframe towards the back to clear the newer rear bracket.

Your drive shafts will just about be long enough to fit alloy arms (the track will be wider by I think 10mm each side) and you will definitely need to do tracking straight afterwards as it will be quite a bit out.

C. J. 14-04-2015 11:17 AM

Their not anti lift so no panic

captain slow 15-04-2015 12:42 AM

Just got car home after the wishbone nigh on completely broke and limped home!!!, ,so have to fix it up now,

DOH !!!

captain slow 18-04-2015 07:25 PM

suspension update

Hi guys, I took off the steel wishbone and it was worst than I thought, the only steel left holding it all together is less than an inch long,

Only found by chance too!!!

The only prob is that I need to now change the lower swivel into the new wishbone as this is different size to the original ones,

asperformance 18-04-2015 09:51 PM

the ball joint is the same size, you are obviously missing the steel cone inserts that sit in the wishbone and match the current 'swivel'

captain slow 19-04-2015 02:48 PM

Yea thanks, i didn't realise i needed the steel cones, will call tomorrow for info,

C. J. 19-04-2015 02:51 PM

Your have the cones from what you took off

asperformance 20-04-2015 08:26 AM

he has steel arms so no cones...........

captain slow 20-04-2015 08:42 AM

Had a look straight away i took them off, looked like stell arms had cones but when cleaned it was that they welded in, i thought maybe they would come out with a tap with a big hammer but to no avail

C. J. 20-04-2015 08:50 AM

Interesting , never had steel arms so my lesson for the day 😀

asperformance 21-04-2015 08:44 AM

the steel cone is only fitted to the alloy arm to stop any potential wear issues............