South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Car / Scooby Chat (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Coilovers or Remap? (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=11813)

rossmarts 14-10-2011 12:49 PM

Coilovers or Remap?

Hi all,

Thinking about spending a bit of money on the car by convincing myself it would be some sort of early Christmas present to myself. I have thought a number of times about getting some coilovers or having a remap but wondered which I am likely to get the most benefit from.

Had the car on at SRR in Feb this year and made 326 bhp and Charlie (I think that was his name) suggested that with a conservative-ish remap that could be upped to 360 - 370 with a nice increase to the torque figure as well. I have subsequently fitted a Miltek cat-back system so perhaps a remap should be done anyway.

I do the odd sprint event and on the Prodrive springs there is still a lot of body roll through corners and feels like it would benefit and possibly go a little bit quicker if the suspension was a bit tighter along with a good geo setup.

Ideally of course I would have both but one will need to be done before the other unless the Euromillions goes my way this week. Coilovers would be more expensive, plus there is the fitting cost and alignment that needs doing as well.

As one has to be done first, what do you think would be the best to address first?

Thanks!

Hongkongfooi 14-10-2011 01:07 PM

Remap....good gain for small outlay and will need it with backbox. The car will take this with current susp no problems

Nige 14-10-2011 01:21 PM

If your on the oe ecu it may cope with the exhaust change anyway. Scott or Jgm will answer that one better.
Suspension would be my choice as you do some sprint work . A good set up is always worth 50bhp. :twisted:

worzel 14-10-2011 01:21 PM

The one question I would ask, if you went any quicker, would you be able to stay on the road any easier? If you can't get the power down, then it's a waste IMHO.

Coilovers for me :ok:

rossmarts 14-10-2011 01:48 PM

Nige & Worzel, thats kind of the way I'm leaning. I guess it is always nice to have more power, but I've got more than I've ever had before by almost 100bhp so I don't really feel as if I'm missing out in that respect. It is quite likely that I can't use it all efficiently anyway with the car shifting all its weight through the corners as it does currently.

I've got access to a ramp, is fitting coilovers something possible for a keen spirited amateur before getting the geo sorted or should I leave well alone and get fitting done by a more knowledgeable sort?

Lucky 14-10-2011 01:49 PM

Both good mods to do. For me, the remap made the world of difference. It wasnt just about the figures, it was the way the car drove afterwards with smooth power delivery and instant low down power. If your car is still on the standard map then it wont need a remap with a cat back/back box, only if you have removed a cat.

Lucky 14-10-2011 01:55 PM

I guess the thing is, if you are like most of us, eventually you will end up doing both AND MORE so it doesnt really matter!!

rossmarts 14-10-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 107710)
I guess the thing is, if you are like most of us, eventually you will end up doing both AND MORE so it doesnt really matter!!

Temptation is a bit of a bastard isn't it :ok:

Lucky 14-10-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossmarts (Post 107711)
Temptation is a bit of a bastard isn't it :ok:

I changed my WRX for a new STi and said I would go for the STi as it saves me having to mod it. YEAH RIGHT!!

simba 14-10-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky (Post 107712)
I changed my WRX for a new STi and said I would go for the STi as it saves me having to mod it. YEAH RIGHT!!

lmao !!

rossmarts 14-10-2011 02:35 PM

As an additional thought, can I maintain standard height of the car when changing to coilovers? Fitted a front splitter a short while back and within a month had lunched it on a cattle grid going to see the other half's parents. Could do without actually lowering the ride height if I can avoid it.

worzel 14-10-2011 02:37 PM

Yep, no problem there.

kartingsteve 14-10-2011 03:37 PM

A remap is always good and a must. If you are runnig Prodrive springs with are good, I would not get coilovers yet only if you get good ones but they cost, I got BC's for mine and did not like them at all and in side two years changed them for Kw's which are the nuts. I would do the Arb's and up links and maybe a anti left kit and alignment that will make a all the difference, hope that helps.

andy-m 14-10-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossmarts (Post 107707)
....I've got access to a ramp, is fitting coilovers something possible for a keen spirited amateur before getting the geo sorted....

easy as p1ss to change. did mine a few months back on my classic.
3 small nuts up top, 2 bigger ones at the bottom of the shock. the upper of the 2 big bolts at the bottom adjusts the camber, so just set it at max camber then go get your geo done

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossmarts (Post 107715)
As an additional thought, can I maintain standard height of the car when changing to coilovers?.......

yep. just pull one front shock off, lay it next to your 2 new fronts and adjust. then do same at back. you can change all 4 and adjust height in an hour easy.