South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Mechanics (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Downpipe and remap (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=16319)

Lucky 01-09-2013 07:25 PM

Downpipe and remap

I have been on the lookout for a decat centre pipe for the wagon. I've been offered a decat down pipe. The car is on its original ECU so not mappable. Where do I stand with putting a decat downpipe on. The second cat will remain.

I know on the Newage, anything to do with removing cats resulted in a remap. Are the classics the same?

Cheers

Steve

Scott.T 01-09-2013 08:23 PM

Classic UK's are more tolerant to the decat then the STI.
The STi has a more aggressive map and can also boost spike once decatted. The boost spike can be controlled by increasing the size of the restrictor pill in the BCS pipework. But the fuelling should be checked and a listen for det is worthwhile.

I can always hook up my gear and have a check for you, but can't map it I'm afraid, unless you grab an Apexi PFC ECU and then I'll have a play for you.

Red Baron 01-09-2013 08:24 PM

Tone recommended a downpipe to me yesterday and reckoned I could get away without a remap, just need to keep an eye on things with a boost gauge. Apparently my car was running quite lean according to the emissions test and a down pipe would richen it up a bit. I have no idea what all that means of course but if its safe and gives me more noise and power then I'm up for it.

Shane

Red Baron 01-09-2013 08:25 PM

Alternatively, what he said.

Lucky 01-09-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 170234)
Classic UK's are more tolerant to the decat then the STI.
The STi has a more aggressive map and can also boost spike once decatted. The boost spike can be controlled by increasing the size of the restrictor pill in the BCS pipework. But the fuelling should be checked and a listen for det is worthwhile.

I can always hook up my gear and have a check for you, but can't map it I'm afraid, unless you grab an Apexi PFC ECU and then I'll have a play for you.

Thanks as always Scott. I had read that the sti's are less tolerant hence asking the question. I think it's worth me waiting until I get an apexi etc and do it properly with the downpipe.

Does the same go for the centre or is that deemed less risky?

I need more noise/burble!!!

Lucky 01-09-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Baron (Post 170235)
Tone recommended a downpipe to me yesterday and reckoned I could get away without a remap, just need to keep an eye on things with a boost gauge. Apparently my car was running quite lean according to the emissions test and a down pipe would richen it up a bit. I have no idea what all that means of course but if its safe and gives me more noise and power then I'm up for it.

Shane

UK or JDM??

Lucky 01-09-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

I can always hook up my gear and have a check for you
Would be great one day, just to see what is doing.

Red Baron 01-09-2013 09:24 PM

1999 UK classic.

Ginola 02-09-2013 10:43 PM

If Decating I would get it mapped (get an Apexi) at least you will get the full benefit of the mods fitted :) and not run the risk of running lean..:angst:

The Apexi is a cracking ECU for very little folding these days, £350 odd normally 2nd hand, and if complete with the controller you can do all sorts of adjustments on the fly, + handy free gauges for Knock/Water temp/air intake temp/boost etc etc, believe you can even have pops and bangs put on the map at the flick of the rear heated window :P

Check with Scott or Simon on here but always thought that a more free flowing exhaust (decating) will make you run lean not rich.. as same fueling with more flow etc etc.. but I could be wrong.

drakesnow 03-09-2013 11:22 AM

I have to side with Ginola on this one. One of the very best investments we can do on our cars from an engine tuning side of things is a good system of ECU management to support modifications as and when we do them. If you plan on keeping the car for any period of time, i'd say its a no brainer.

I vote for a second hand Apexi or go ESL. Not sure if anyone on here has a cable/software for tuning ESL, but I would say those seem to be the most cost effective engine management solutions for classics. I run mafless with ESL on my classic and it is absolutely great!

Scott.T 03-09-2013 06:35 PM

I have a cable for ESL and the software although I don't think it's compatible with the latest MY97/98 board.
I may be able to exchange it with ESL for a small fee and can enquire if you end up going down that route.
ESL Live modules are a good solution and retain all the standard ECU safety features and 3d boost control and knock correction. The boards are £295+VAT IIRC.

Lucky 03-09-2013 08:02 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. :doubleup:

Ginola 04-09-2013 11:56 PM

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/subaru-part...commander.html

Maggy has that up at the mo Steve ;)

Lucky 05-09-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginola (Post 170424)
http://bbs.scoobynet.com/subaru-part...commander.html

Maggy has that up at the mo Steve ;)

Cheers dude :ok:

drakesnow 05-09-2013 11:54 AM

Very good to know you have the ESL stuff, nice to know :) Not sure if mine is the latest board for v4 though.