South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Mechanics (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Shotgun exhaust (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=21084)

Dale_ 01-02-2016 06:11 PM

Shotgun exhaust

I know I have already posted about an exhaust but I seem to get one reply and then nothing lol. So this post should answer my ultimate question.

I have a full stainless 3inch system from turbo back. Two tiny resonators and one big back box.

If I get a shot gun exhaust made up, twin pipes with no box will it be mega noisy? Or what is making my sytem so quiet?

NL03Scooby 01-02-2016 06:18 PM

Back box is normally the deciding factor in noise levels. A big back box is probably designed to quieten things down, the resonators certainly are!

I have a Milltek system, non-resonated, the back box is not far off standard system size and is fairly subtle sounding compared to many other systems.

If you were to run your car without a back box the noise would be pretty unforgiving!

BIG"E" 01-02-2016 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale_ (Post 219768)
I know I have already posted about an exhaust but I seem to get one reply and then nothing lol. So this post should answer my ultimate question.

The answer you got from Lucky was pretty comprehensive I thought.

Quote:

If I get a shot gun exhaust made up, twin pipes with no box will it be mega noisy? Or what is making my system so quiet?

Yes it will be noisy.

The size and type of the back box will determine the noise.

scooby doo 01-02-2016 06:32 PM

You tube rcm exhaust or that one scoobs world do, they both have no silencers and will show you how loud they are?
Each to there own and all that but why????
No gain there but to be really loud???

Red Baron 01-02-2016 06:32 PM

The bottom rear silencer is a nice, quiet Prodrive silencer that was supplied as part of the Subaru approved PPP. The top back box with a tiny silencer is a Cobrasport, much noisier and sounds great, personally I wouldn't have wanted it any noisier though. People have fitted the RCM team Ice system and then usually regretted it within days. Your current system is probably a lot louder than you think.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/x...psa32132f6.jpg

Mortster 02-02-2016 08:35 AM

I had a vortex extreme for about 3 weeks. Anyone who came to the rolling road day knows how loud it was.

Dale_ 02-02-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortster (Post 219802)
I had a vortex extreme for about 3 weeks. Anyone who came to the rolling road day knows how loud it was.

Yeah I also saw that one, did you have a full decat system? Was it continuously loud? Or could you make it abit quieter with low revs and high gear? Lol

Mortster 02-02-2016 10:19 AM

Full decat, was too loud in the end, that's why it lasted 3 weeks.

Steve_PPP 02-02-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

If I get a shot gun exhaust made up, twin pipes with no box will it be mega noisy? Or what is making my sytem so quiet?

You really don't want to do this ;) Not only will your ears be bleeding, you'll get pulled over more times than you can shake a stick at....

Dale_ 02-02-2016 10:32 AM

Fair enough haha, it is really bad then? So Thats rulled out the shotgun exhaust! I'll have to have a look around for a decent back box :)

Thankyou for everyone's help!

scooby doo 02-02-2016 01:24 PM

if want the next loudest thing try blitz nur spec there loud , cheaper vortex from scooby world there loud but not OTT

Banstead Stig 02-02-2016 01:46 PM

Both of those would do my head in personally.

I followed a classic with a Nur Spec in convoy to Japfest a few years back along the M4. It was getting on my wick by the time we got there, so it must have been much worse for the driver... he only swapped it over for the event and went back to something more sensible afterwards!

Steve_PPP 02-02-2016 02:09 PM

I remember following Graham (Bandit) from Clackett Lane services out to Lydden a few years back when he had an afterburner extreme, gave me a headache and I wasn't even in the same car :lol:

I'd personally go no louder than an afterburner vortex, beyond that is just a bit silly imo.

scooby doo 02-02-2016 02:27 PM

that's why i run a H&S sport exhaust as nice and quiet but gives a good flat four sound

SpecB 02-02-2016 02:51 PM

And don't forget that most UK trackdays are a 105dB or even 98dB limit! - You may even not get onto the Ring if too loud.

If you don't mind being pulled over and looked at by every perso on the road try on of these!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZSB-Ixqq4w

iPond 02-02-2016 04:19 PM

I've got a mk1 Ninja on mine at the moment. I think it gives a good exhaust note and a nice burble. Its a little on the loud side but is just bearable. I would not want it any louder!

Aesthetically I would probably prefer the afterburner vortex though. The Mk2 Ninja looks nicer too but I've not seen/heard one fitted.

Hongkongfooi 02-02-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortster (Post 219810)
Full decat, was too loud in the end, that's why it lasted 3 weeks.

my ears are still hurting:boom:

Dale_ 02-02-2016 07:12 PM

Anyone got a loud pipe they want to sell me? Haha

Banstead Stig 02-02-2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP (Post 219821)
I remember following Graham (Bandit) from Clackett Lane services out to Lydden a few years back when he had an afterburner extreme, gave me a headache and I wasn't even in the same car :lol:

I'd personally go no louder than an afterburner vortex, beyond that is just a bit silly imo.

Haha, yeah Bandit's car is obscenely loud.

Mortster 02-02-2016 08:58 PM

http://www.mortster.net/images/4SALE/Zorst.mp4

Ninja 2 then Silly loud Vortex Extreme. Once it was off I put a Afterburner on, was a much better balance.

Dale_ 03-02-2016 09:37 AM

Yeah that vortex extreme sounds LOUD lol. Is it just one of those exhausts that you can't make be quiet no matter what?

Rdlangy1 03-02-2016 11:06 AM

I highly rate the Cobra 3" system with Sports cat only... Plenty Loud enough (other will vouch for this) and performance gains to being 3" and properly mapped.

Ryan :ok:

iPond 03-02-2016 12:21 PM

There is an STi Genome and a Cobra up for grabs on Scoobynet at the mo.

scotty 03-02-2016 12:21 PM

Only bampots run stupid exhausts like that up here i can reccommend HKS on my third system loud but not to loud .

Banstead Stig 03-02-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdlangy1 (Post 219875)
I highly rate the Cobra 3" system with Sports cat only... Plenty Loud enough (other will vouch for this) and performance gains to being 3" and properly mapped.

Ryan :ok:

3" doesn't always mean performance gains. Generally depends on the supporting components, not just the map I believe.

SpecB 03-02-2016 02:25 PM

I can't remember the figure but 3' is required over a certain power level - I went 3' straight away on my first re-map of 275Bhp

Banstead Stig 03-02-2016 03:48 PM

That's a big exhaust. ;)

Rdlangy1 03-02-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banstead Stig (Post 219887)
3" doesn't always mean performance gains. Generally depends on the supporting components, not just the map I believe.

Agreed - yes should have said it helps to have other support in mods - maybe ported headers, Harvey smith up-pipe and map along with better panel filter or induction kit etc - lots that can be done.

But having 3" over 2.5" will be a good start for gaining more bhp :ok: