South East Scoobies

South East Scoobies (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/index.php)
-   General Mechanics (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   cold starting (http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/vbulletinforum/showthread.php?t=4961)

andy-m 14-06-2010 08:56 AM

cold starting

ive noticed a slight problem over the past few days.
when starting first thing in the morning, the car sometimes starts first or second time.
either way though, when it starts, it kind of spluters a little n the RPM is quite low, then after a few seconds it goes up to the propper cold idle speed.
I got some cleaner on my MAF yesterday cuz i thought that mighta been it but that aint sorted it.

once its started, cold or warm, the car runs how it should, no problems whatsoever.

anyone have any ideas?

666subaru 14-06-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy-m (Post 52125)
ive noticed a slight problem over the past few days.
when starting first thing in the morning, the car sometimes starts first or second time.
either way though, when it starts, it kind of spluters a little n the RPM is quite low, then after a few seconds it goes up to the propper cold idle speed.
I got some cleaner on my MAF yesterday cuz i thought that mighta been it but that aint sorted it.

once its started, cold or warm, the car runs how it should, no problems whatsoever.

anyone have any ideas?

We have the same problem so would be interesting to know the answer, we were thinking temperature control sensor, but what do I know:angst:

andy-m 14-06-2010 04:07 PM

well i was thinking that but i wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problem first.
plus, I dont know where it is on the car yet !

AndyWRX 14-06-2010 04:28 PM

I had the exact same problem mate some slight differences though

when first started it sounded like it was gonna die but then shot up to normal cold idle, in the end i was told it could of been a number of things so in the end i replaced

The coil packs (they were cracked and one fell apart)
Plugs
Temperature sensor
Lamba sensor

Not sure if the lamab sensor had anything to do with it but it was virtually dead, the plugs needed replacing and so did the coil packs, with the temperature sensor it had some sort of corroded coating on it so that needed doing too.

After all that was done it starts fine now, deffinatly worth it

andy-m 14-06-2010 04:39 PM

well plugs are about 3000miles old, coil packs are a couple of months old.
I am going to change the exhaust in a few weeks so i'll fit a new lamba then anyways.

where abouts is the temperature sensor on the engine ? i may as well change that the same weekend

AndyWRX 15-06-2010 01:36 PM

its under the inlet manifold on the drivers side, dosent take long to do but its abit fidley

Anger 15-06-2010 02:50 PM

Idle control valve might be a bit clogged up and need a clean

andy-m 15-06-2010 03:28 PM

erm, ok wheres that in the engine bay ?

although idle is normaly fine apart from the initial starting

andy-m 22-07-2010 10:42 AM

well, Ive had my new exhaust on since saturday.
I removed the exhaust temperature probe and apart from fitting the new exhaust, no other work was done.
Since then, the problem seems to have dissapeared.

2-jaffacake-tone 22-07-2010 10:51 AM

coolent temp sensor.