View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
When they're down to 2 or 3mm they just seemed to lose grip in the damp/wet.
That sounds pretty normal to me for any tyre approaching the wear limit.

Personally I think the tyre talk is often the placeabo effect. A bit like asking which oil or which exhaust sounds the best.

I have driven performance vehicles for 22 out of 23 possible years and have not seen any great difference in any of the tyres I have had.

I have however always had premium brands such as Pirrelli, Dunlop, Fulda, Toyo and more recently Falken.
The only noticable difference were that the Fulda (probably the closest to budget I have had) wore quicker.

I havn't had any budget chinese type brands and I think this is where you will see major differences.

If you are able to drive the same piece of road, at the same angle of attack at the same tarmac temperature on 2 or 3 different sets of tyres you may notice a difference. But if you can't then I think you base a good proportion of your opinion on what you paid for them and what everyone else is telling you about their performance.

I agree there are major differences between Budget, Premium and Track orientated tyres. But if you stick within the category you already have and maintain the same speed/load ratings, then you can't go too far wrong.

Just my opinion ....