View Single Post
Old 26-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

IHI VF31
Utilizes a P11 exhaust housing. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF32
This is the standard equipment primary turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy. It utilizes a ball-bearing design. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF33
This is the standard equipment primary turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy. It utilizes a P11 exhaust housing and a divided thrust-bearing design. No other information known at this time.

IHI VF34
(460cfm at 18psi, 250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM V7 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Spec-C. The VF34 is nearly identical to the VF30 but has improved spool up due to its roller bearing design. It also utilizes a P18 exhaust housing.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 3000-3500rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and proper engine management is highly recommended for all vehicles.

IHI VF35
(425cfm, 250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Subaru Impreza WRX. The VF35 is similar to the VF34. It utilizes the same compressor housing and the same compressor inducer size. The differences are in the divided thrust-bearing design and the P15 exhaust housing. This allows the VF35 to spool slightly quicker than the VF34 at the cost of less top-end performance.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 2800-3300rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and proper engine management is highly recommended for all vehicles.

IHI VF36
(430cfm, 250-325whp, Modification Required)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM V8-V9 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Spec-C Type RA. The VF36 is a twin-scroll turbocharger that utilizes a ball bearing design, a P25 exhaust housing, and titanium aluminide (TiAl) compressor wheel for improved spool. It is essentially a fast spooling VF34.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 2800-3300rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and proper engine management is highly recommended for all vehicles.

IHI VF37
(430cfm, 250-325whp, Modification Required)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM V8-V9 Subaru Impreza WRX STI. The VF37 is a twin-scroll turbocharger that utilizes a thrust bearing design and a P25 exhaust housing. It is essentially a fast spooling VF30.

IHI VF38
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy MY04-06. The VF38 is a twin-scroll that utilizes a Titanium turbine and shaft. This turbocharger yields tremendous spool-up but offers less top-end than the VF36/VF37. The spool capabilities of this turbo are demonstrated on the JDM Legacy GT, which reaches peak torque at 2400RPM.

IHI VF39
(250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru Impreza WRX STI. It can be found on all model years from 2004-2006. The VF39 utilizes a thrust bearing design and the P18 exhaust housing.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 3000-3500rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and proper engine management is highly recommended for all vehicles that utilize this turbo aftermarket. Though they are prone to cracking, VF39’s can be had for very cheap if bought used.

IHI VF40
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru Legacy GT MY05-06.

IHI VF41
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Subaru Forester STI. It utilizes a P18 exhaust housing.

IHI VF42
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Subaru Impreza WRX STi S203 and S204. The VF42 features a twin-scroll design with a slightly larger compressor than the VF36/VF37 turbos and different turbine design (more blades). The VF42 is a roller-bearing turbo and is similar in size to the VF22 turbo, but the twin-scroll exhaust housing yields faster spool-up and a superior top-end.

IHI VF43
(250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the MY07 USDM Subaru Impreza WRX STI. It can be found on both base STI's and STI Limited's. The VF43 utilizes a thrust bearing design and the P18 exhaust housing. The primary difference between the VF43 and the VF39 used previously on STI's seems to be the stiffness of the wastegate. The VF43 has a stiffer wastegate designed to reduce boost creep issues.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 3000-3500rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and proper engine management is highly recommended for all vehicles that utilize this turbo aftermarket.

IHI VF44
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy GT MY06. No other information known at this time. (Confirmation needed)

IHI VF45
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM Legacy GT MY07. No other information known at this time. (Confirmation needed)

IHI VF46
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru Legacy GT MY07. The VF46 utilizes a new five-arc scroll design to improve low and midrange performance over the previous VF40.

IHI VF48
(250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru WRX STI MY08-10. The primary difference between the VF48 and the VF43 used previously on STI's is the more advanced bearing design.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 3000-3500rpms. 2002-2005 WRX owners will need fuel upgrades for this turbocharger and proper engine management is highly recommended for all vehicles. This turbocharger is not a direct bolt-on for the MY08+ WRX.

IHI VF52
(250-325whp, Bolt-On)
This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru WRX MY09-10. This turbocharger is similar to the VF48 but utilizes the USDM Legacy GT-style housing.
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 2800-3300rpms. This is NOT a direct bolt-on for 2002-2007 WRX, but will fit the 2008 WRX and 2005+ Legacy GT without modification.