View Single Post
Old 17-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Default My engine problem in the P1

As some of you may know I ran 2 laps at Bruntingthorpe last Saturday and at the end of lap two the engine tone suggested it was firing on three cylinders.
Car was retired to the pits and Daz kindly spent a large chunk of the day testing the plugs, leads, etc to see if it was something minor that could be sorted in the pits.

The Nr 2 injector had failed causing damage to a valve and to the piston through running lean. A compression test revealed that the cylinder had a 90% leakage.
Olly mentioned that Meths hasn't helped and to be honest the car was running fine until I put a 20% mix in at Bruntingthorpe at the weekend for the first time in a while.

It's common knowledge that many are waiting (or would like to hear) that an RCM engine as blown to bits but this damage has been caused from the injector failure as mentioned. The engine has obviously been subject to wear just like any other motor but other than a Map Sensor failing and an issue with contaminated Meths it's been faultless.

If I were honest I have been amazed something like this has not happened before now. I'm not one of the many that have big power just to say (I'm running 500 at the wheels), the car has been used hard and many times and many will tell you.
I have often found myself in competitions whereby the poor ol' P1 is surrounded by monster looking cars stripped out and trailered to the event and she has performed right up there with them and often beaten many of them in sprints, tracking and events like the MLR 30-130 where the old girl was in 1st place at lunch time although I came 11th by the close of the day (2009).

42.000 miles of which over 20,000 was on Meths. Many track days / sprints / 2 MLR 30-130's / 30+ runs at the Pod / over to The Ring & back including 3 fierce laps / 100;s of blasts with passengers including launches and plenty more I cant be bothered to list, so the build has been superb.

Not sure if the P1 will be rebuilt to its current spec or if 2.1 with the GT35 b/w will be addressed.
Funding cars like this isn't cheap and with P2 being an ongoing affair I will need sit down with O & M and come to a decision.

Had one of my vans blow to bits last night as well, so that will also need replacing.
That's another 10 - 15 fooking K by the time I have it written and
had the back racked out like we do to enable all equipment to fit in' I always do this myself but always shocked at how much it costs. :vcrying::vcrying:

At this rate I'm expecting a British Airways 767 to land on my house next week. :001_rolleyes: