View Single Post
Old 25-08-2011, 03:33 AM
Regular User

The engine was built by FB Tuning in High Wycombe and I live in Essex so I didn't get chance to take any pictures of the engine build, although I was on the phone to Rich when he first fired her up and it was music to my ears!!

Rich completed the first 75 miles using mineral oil for the first 50 miles and then changing it for more mineral oil for when I picked it up.

A 'proper' engine

As the original oil cooler was full of metal parts from the blown lump I ran it without an oil cooler or modine until it covered 300miles keeping my eyes welded to the oil temp gauge to make sure it stayed under 100oC.

A new standard core was priced up and worked out approximately £550 after importing, duty and delivery and after seeing the standard rubber pipes and not being too impressed with the standard setup, I chose a full after market kit which included a 25 row Setrab cooler, 55inch braided Mocal lines, Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate, gauge sandwich plate (to lower the connections so they missed the cam covers) and 2metres of heat sleeve for a bit of extra safety!

I changed the oil for semi synthetic at 300miles and only drove it at night so it stayed nice and cool. After another 300miles I changed the oil again for fully synthetic and again after another 150miles when the oil cooler kit arrived.

Sandwich plate, gauge plate and pipes fitted with 2 layers of fire sleeve each

Space between the headers and oil pipes (crap picture but just over 1inch clearance)

Before the bumper went back on, 25 row was a bit tight hence it's at an angle to miss the bonnet catch. Fitted 3x rubber tap washers to all three mounting points for shock resistance

Pipe location

Bumper back on

Crackle black header tank

Heat lagging - cheapskate styleeee

Oil temperatures were absolutely fine on the 150mile round trip to the London Motor Museum, but in the evening they were pretty cold and after stopping to warm the engine up 3 times I realised that the 25row maybe a bit over kill, a 19row would probably have been the better option so for now I've covered the bottom half of the core with a piece of card which seems to have done the trick. I'll sort something more appropriate out as soon as I get chance!

Now done 1200miles without a problem and max reading on the KS3 is 19 (with a bit of fun involved) so will be booked in for a remap ASAP

PS - any feedback, good or bad, greatly recieved, I'm not a mechanic by any means, just someone who likes to 'have a go'