View Single Post
Old 15-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Ok quick update, decided to make a start on the grotty sump replacement tonight after work and what a tricky Sod it is. Not looking to healthy eh, luckily this is the worst rusted part under the car and the rest will be shot back and powder coated over this year.

I've taken out the strut brace, intercooler, pitch stop mount, top radiator connections to slam panel and unbolted the lower engine mounts.

After jacking up the engine about 2 inches or so with a nice piece of wood spanning the old sump I've managed to get out the 4 worst and most awkward bolts on the job.
A 10mm socket and a small knuckle joint did the job but it was fiddley!!. Not looking forward to getting the new ones back in.

Decided then for some wiered reason whilst sipping a cuppa to tap the old sump in various places to see how thin it was, it didn't take much to make it start bleeding!

Thought it would then be a good idea to quickly drain out the old oil through the correct exit hole.

Will update this little job as I go on, need to now order new bolts and a tube of grey engine sealer this week.