View Single Post
Old 20-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post

Fitted today. These are actually Prodrive Eibach Grey '20380FA890' springs (colour matched to STi Pink), which are the matched spring to my Prodrive WR Bilsteins.
I had fitted a loaner set previously and they gave a good ride and the static height was in-between the P1 Red's and the STi -30mm Pinks.

The pinks on the rear have always been on the cusp of being too low and I was finding the pinks looked a bit saggy butt from some angles of approach (due to the cut line of the arch).

The STi -30mm pinks have also actually dropped a further 5mm on the back compared to when new/nearly new.

The P1 Reds measured 645mm, STi Pink 632mm (now 627mm) and Prodrive WR 590 Grey's 639mm.

Piccy of the STI -30mm Pink Vs the Prodrive WR (although now pink)
The Prodrive is using 13mm gauge steel Vs 12mm on the STi Pink

On a little drive out today they felt as good a they did on the loaner set. They feel a lot more compliant than the Pinks, and seem to rebound and settle quicker, whereas the Pinks could float and get unsettled on undulating surfaces approaching 80mph. This may be due to the springs setting now allowing the shock to work within it's range, rather then being at the extents of it's range of damping.

At the end of the day they are the matched spring for the WR Bilstein, so got to be a good choice. I just need a matched front now.
The P1 Red's sat too high and although P1 Red's were sold as matched set on Prodrive WR later models, they were a compromise in order to achieve better minimum order quantities in conjunction with the P1 struts.

A set of 590 Greys on the front (P/N 20330fa890) would be good if I can find some. But the STi Pinks work well and certainly have much crisper turn-in than any of the other springs I have tried. They were noticeably better than Eibach Pro's and P1 Red's, hence why I have stuck with them. It's really down to what you want, crisp turn in or better ride/bump absorbing that a few extra 'mm' would give.

I really don't understand how some of these slammed coil-over setup's' work unless the valving technology is really 'trick', they must be dreadful on UK roads.