View Single Post
Old 25-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortster View Post
But its done now, change is not always a bad thing, And with others looking to follow suit, Who knows, a much better EU may come from this.
I think that's where we'll get to. I thought that's where we would have got to had we stayed, it'll now just be separate paths to the same destination... who knows which would have been more/less painful?

Your points made throughout the referendum were sensible and well thought through, so I enjoyed seeing them (and disagreeing and challenging. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
I was surprised how little they were affected, if i'm honest. FTSE 100 has already recovered to the level (in fact, slightly higher!) than it was at Monday 20th.

£ vs Euro exchange rate has set at 1.23 this weekend, but was only 1.27 last weekend. Not a major crash.
Perhaps not a major immediate crash, but those aren't the best measures really.

Look at the FTSE 250. Arguably a broader and better measure. That was hit far harder.

Even after recovering that was still down 7% I think.

The £:€ is bound to move less unfavourably because the uncertainty affects both quite directly. The $ is the better measure and that was far worse.

That will be partly why CJ's mates had bumper trading days with the US.

All our pension funds to a kick in the knackers yesterday, but that's not real money.

The losses on the markets were (at one point) equal to about thirty years of EU contributions, which should put in context the "scaremongering" on the economy. Those sorts of hits to business are tough to justify, but at the same time, they don't tell the full story as share price dips don't, of themselves, mean the underlying businesses are in any way performing worse... it's all conjecture!

What fun?!

Last edited by Banstead Stig; 25-06-2016 at 12:30 PM.